U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,148,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
^ I agree with what u said but what does it matter if the woman is yellow or dark? Black is black and we are all in this boat together.
I agree black is black. I'm just saying that there has been a dividing line created somewhere down the line that puts the two sides at odds with one another. This goes back to slavery times (but that's a long story by itself). We can't start to fix the problem if we don't first acknowledge that it's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,110,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Just out of curiosity is your skin tone closer to "yellow" or "chocolate"? It seems that the few black women that do seem to get credit from other races for their beauty are the ones people would consider "yellow bones".
I have a milky brown/mocha skin tone, not exactly a yellow bone. My boyfriend who is bi-racial have dated nothing but dark girls in the past. I'm his 1st girlfriend who is somewhat lighter. And interesting enough, all the black women I know that are married or dating interracially happen to have dark skin. There are men out there who actually prefer this type of women.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 PM

484 posts, read 1,084,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post

Quote:
Any stunning looking black female with the right combination of perfect looks and personality can attract any straight red-blooded male of any race as much as any stunning looking female of any another race can.
Very true!

Quote:
An ugly black woman still looks soo much better than an ugly looking whatever the other race is, and this is a fact we all know.
Not so fast...

Quote:
Sorry dude, but your theory that we are the least desired race is totally false.
You're right.
Unfortunately, I've met too many nice black women who have adopted the mentality that they are not attractive; it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead of seeking counsel from black women who have found good men, they gather around other bitter women complaining about how black men don't like black women.

The truth of the matter is usually its simplest explanation. Black men do, overwhelmingly, find black women attractive; an individual black woman's mileage may vary on that though. In other words, the problem with finding a man usually isn't because a woman is black, it's usually because of something about that particular woman. Too often, women who don't get a lot of play start hanging around other women who don't get any and then the subject changes from how to be the type of woman that attracts the type of man I want into "nobody likes me because I'm black".

Old 03-04-2010, 12:31 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,148,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmaingr View Post
Unfortunately, I've met too many nice black women who have adopted the mentality that they are not attractive; it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Instead of seeking counsel from black women who have found good men, they gather around other bitter women complaining about how black men don't like black women.

The truth of the matter is usually its simplest explanation. Black men do, overwhelmingly, find black women attractive; an individual black woman's mileage may vary on that though. In other words, the problem with finding a man usually isn't because a woman is black, it's usually because of something about that particular woman. Too often, women who don't get a lot of play start hanging around other women who don't get any and then the subject changes from how to be the type of woman that attracts the type of man I want into "nobody likes me because I'm black".
I don't think the original question was how black men felt about black women, but how men of all races as a whole do.

While I certainly can not stand those who blame every problem they're having on the fact that they're black, I think you are really downplaying the issue here.

There are a ton of black girls on my campus who a attractive, nice, and intelligent yet a lot of them are single. On the other hand even the most unpleasant behaving, trashiest looking women of other races all seem to have a boyfriend no matter what. Houston...we have a problem here.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:49 PM

56,982 posts, read 81,344,865 times
Quote:
I don't think the original question was how black men felt about black women, but how men of all races as a whole do.

While I certainly can not stand those who blame every problem they're having on the fact that they're black, I think you are really downplaying the issue here.

There are a ton of black girls on my campus who a attractive, nice, and intelligent yet a lot of them are single. On the other hand even the most unpleasant behaving, trashiest looking women of other races all seem to have a boyfriend no matter what. Houston...we have a problem here.
I think the aspect of educational attainment has something to do with this. There are probably more Black women at the college you attend than Black men and this is the case regardless of race. According to the NCES website, UT is 52% female and 48% male as for Fall 2008. So, that right there tell you that some females are going to be single.

Then, if you break it down by race, the percentage gap is probably wider for Blacks in terms of gender enrollment.

You also have the competing interests of other women for many Black males there, most likely as well.

I would think you would see Black male/Hispanic/Latino female relationships more, if you see Black males in interracial relationships there. That seems to be the case at the college I work at or at least it varies and you do see some Black female/other male relationships here too.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM

286 posts, read 465,775 times
Quote:
Actually, there are already quite a few that do. And it really disgusts me but that seems to be the case in some instances. I think there's a reason you see more black male-white females couples than you do white male-black female couples...
I find this observation interesting especially as it seems to be the common perception.

I find the opposite to be true, maybe itís a west coast thing? Being a WM with a BF wife of 17 years, I tend to notice other interracial couples of all types and in both the Bay Area and LA, the vast majority of B/W couples I see are BF/WM.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 AM

72 posts, read 74,932 times
Quote:
Most people don't find black women attractive. I'm not trying to insult you, obviously it isn't your fault, but that's reality. It usually goes in the order of White, Hispanic or Asian, then Black women for who is most attractive, in many people's eyes.
I have to disagree. At least not with black men. Preferences are preferences, but I have found most men to have black women at number 1, then hispanic, white, then asian. My preferences are actually different. I go in this order: Latinas, Filipinas (as opposed to asians in general), black, asian, then white. Based on my preferences, it makes me think that what you are exposed to growing up influences your attractions. I went through puberty in San Antonio, TX and in the Philippines. Just my theory.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dual Citizen CA-OR View Post
I find this observation interesting especially as it seems to be the common perception.

I find the opposite to be true, maybe it?s a west coast thing? Being a WM with a BF wife of 17 years, I tend to notice other interracial couples of all types and in both the Bay Area and LA, the vast majority of B/W couples I see are BF/WM.
Must be a West Coast thing, because stats show that when it comes to B/W couples in terms of marriage, it's something like 6-7% of BM are married to WF and only about 2-3% of BF are married to WM.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:31 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,337,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Must be a West Coast thing, because stats show that when it comes to B/W couples in terms of marriage, it's something like 6-7% of BM are married to WF and only about 2-3% of BF are married to WM.

I think the total IR marriage among bm is between 10-14% are married to a non bw.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I think the total IR marriage among bm is between 10-14% are married to a non bw.
No, it's around 8.4% and that's including IR's not involving BM/WF: Black African American Demographics Population
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or