U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 01:52 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,180,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It would be called a bias or preference. There is a difference.

Also, the issue with race isn't so much about being "colorblind", but about not letting race matter. There is a difference there as well, because if you are colorblind, you don't see the reality behind who that person is versus not letting it matter is still seeing the person for what they are and where they are, but not letting that become an obstacle.
yeah i think the whole "colorblind" phrase is so played out and chliche. How can one be colorblind but think rationally at the same time? it sounds a bit naive to me. But this is just my opinion. People should judt be more accepting, thats all.

mas23
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 06:23 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,142,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
I know you're not going to want to hear this, but I find that just as racist as someone refusing to date black women because of societal standards, etc. Why would you limit yourself to a certain race of women? Isn't that prejudiced and discriminatory? Yes, there are beautiful black women, but there are also beautiful Asian women, white women, Hispanic women, Native American women, and so on and so forth.

I really believe that racism will not die until we learn to stop considering race at all and become colorblind. The color of someone's skin doesn't matter: you should see an individual as an American, a human being, not as black, white, or whatever. As long as we continue to focus on someone's race, racism will continue. When we can truly see others based on the content of their character, and not the color of their skin, then racism and prejudice will finally die in America.
It would be pretty naive to be "colorblind" when other races are doing well and your's is suffering. Sure it's a nice idea but that's just not the reality of the situation. 70% of black women are single...that's frightening. Why would I abandon them like that when they're having a hard enough time as it is? Other races sure as hell aren't trying to date them (don't let me get into a rant on that). Fact of the matter is this will never be a truly color blind world, and it will only become that was at the expense of one race or another (which will most likely be blacks).

BTW, i've never said there aren't beautiful women of other races. I find many women attractive and don't discriminate when judging a woman's beauty. But who I choose to date is an entirely personal choice.

And no i'm not a racist. I wouldn't go to the University of Texas at Austin if I was. I'm just being honest about the situation. On my campus it seems like a majority of the black girls are single, but I have yet to come across a white girl who didn't have a boyfriend. Then I hear the reasons most men choose not to date black women and how ridiculous those reasons are. I just don't see how I could knowingly abandon a lot of our women when they are having enough trouble as it is finding a man.

@ ckh

btw I appreciate the reps. I would surely hand out a lot more reps than I do to a lot of you but i'm really conservative with my reps and CD won't let me rep you guys again until I rep more people.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:39 PM

56,770 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Here is some good information about this: Black African American Demographics Population

Black Middle Class Demographics

Keep in mind that the single parent percentage gets adjusted when considering those that cohabitate, but aren't married. Unfortunately, that institution seems to be hurting as a whole and even if people get married.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:31 PM

9 posts, read 12,803 times
Hi there,
Many of my African American friends are in relationships with Caucasians and I would suggest the Washington DC area; however, you mentioned you went to college in Maryland and I'm not sure if it was close enough to be considered a part of the DC burbs. If you were more toward Baltimore or the PA border, then I back my suggestion. If you were already close to the DC burbs (like Bethesda, College Park), then I'm not sure what to say beyond good luck!

From my own experience, I rarely get approached living in Washington. Only when I'm at an airport, or in cities like Philly (major street cat calling) or Los Angeles or even Phoenix, well, it's a totally different story. Since I'm not black, I can't relate to your experiences on a race level.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:32 PM

45 posts, read 91,851 times
Default to DC's finest.

what about aa females in dallas. are they friend;y or are they cryogenic like nyc women?...if you know that is.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:24 PM

4,137 posts, read 7,201,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is some good information about this: Black African American Demographics Population

Black Middle Class Demographics

Keep in mind that the single parent percentage gets adjusted when considering those that cohabitate, but aren't married. Unfortunately, that institution seems to be hurting as a whole and even if people get married.
This is why I have felt marriage is not the major problem with black America but graduating from high school and pursuing a higher education is the main issue facing the black community. Stats show those who pursue a bachelor degree or higher have a much higher income levels. I think this alone will improve poverty rates, teenage pregnancy, marriage rates and most of all stability in the black community.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM

56,770 posts, read 81,126,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
This is why I have felt marriage is not the major problem with black America but graduating from high school and pursuing a higher education is the main issue facing the black community. Stats show those who pursue a bachelor degree or higher have a much higher income levels. I think this alone will improve poverty rates, teenage pregnancy, marriage rates and most of all stability in the black community.
I agree with that as well.

I will say that it's more family structure/support that does help in pursuing such things. That might not necessarily means mommy and daddy, which usually helps, but the support/structure needs to be there for children.

If you look at the stats, it does show that 80% of Blacks 25 and older have a HS diploma, but we now live in the days of which having a BA/BS is almost like having a HS diploma 30 years ago. That's why I encourage cities to have more school programs like this: Middle Early College High School @ ECC 415

I think such programs would give such children a head start in the real world and equip them with skills right away or further their education in a shorter time.

Due to concerns in education, schools like this would help too: http://schools.nyc.gov/SchoolPortals...31/default.htm
http://eagleacademyfoundation.com/

Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
Most people don't find black women attractive. I'm not trying to insult you, obviously it isn't your fault, but that's reality. It usually goes in the order of White, Hispanic or Asian, then Black women for who is most attractive, in many people's eyes.
I assume "most people" you mention here refers to non-black males, no? Because there's no way in hell a black man would categorize women in this order, sorry.

Quote:
Considering this reality, if you find a man who wants to date you, you should hold onto him tight, because there's no telling when you'd find another.

I'm sorry it has to be this way. Just realize it doesn't have any bearing on your personality or soul and is soley human nature.
This is absolutely not true. I am a black female, never have had problems getting dates from whomever, and never had to hold on to anyone out of fear of not finding another. If anything, it's the opposite that happens. Any stunning looking black female with the right combination of perfect looks and personality can attract any straight red-blooded male of any race as much as any stunning looking female of any another race can. An ugly black woman still looks soo much better than an ugly looking whatever the other race is, and this is a fact we all know. But we just loove picking on black women and their looks just because we think it's more fun.

My personal experience shows that black men have no problem at all approaching the person they like in public. You may choose to ignore them or whatever, but it's all good. However other races, especially white males, are just too fearful to approach a black female in public due to 1) knowing they don't stand a chance because of the belief that black females are not open-minded about dating outside their race, 2) fearful of perhaps offending other white females who happen to be in the same environment. I had my profile up on one of the dating sites and I had more white dudes write to me than any other race, even when I clearly mentioned in the profile that this time I'm looking only for a guy of african descent. Sorry dude, but your theory that we are the least desired race is totally false.

To OP: this is not Africa. You have to be proactive and take the initiative when you see someone you like. If you're too shy to do this, then you may want to try the online dating thing. I have been to your country once; Ghanians are usually very pretty with dark smooth skin and nice figures. I'm pretty sure you'll find your luck one of these days. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:10 PM

3,093 posts, read 4,142,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLucky View Post
I assume "most people" you mention here refers to non-black males, no? Because there's no way in hell a black man would categorize women in this order, sorry.
Actually, there are already quite a few that do. And it really disgusts me but that seems to be the case in some instances. I think there's a reason you see more black male-white females couples than you do white male-black female couples. It has to do with the BS ideas about beauty + ridiculously untrue stereotypes about black women.

It sounds like you get a lot of attention from all kind of men and i'm glad to hear that. But you seem to be the exception more than the rule because a lot of the sisters I talk too seem to see things that same way
the original poster you replied to does. Black women do not get near enough credit for their beauty and it makes me sick.

Just out of curiosity is your skin tone closer to "yellow" or "chocolate"? It seems that the few black women that do seem to get credit from other races for their beauty are the ones people would consider "yellow bones".

Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,389,219 times
^ I agree with what u said but what does it matter if the woman is yellow or dark? Black is black and we are all in this boat together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or