U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:38 AM

510 posts, read 1,586,298 times

Advertisements

I am looking for a beach area with good schools and nice community feel. The problem is I also find that I need to see rolling hills to feel good. Most areas are very flat. I have thought about a lake area and its doable. I want mild winters and to live on the Eastern coast. I have looked at many areas but have not found "It" yet. Just like to hear some other options I may be overlooking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 10:56 AM

2,352 posts, read 1,816,100 times
Beaches and mountains...if you want to swim in the ocean, CA is the place to be. If you prefer fresh water, Oregon and WA are can't miss. Since you prefer the East coast, I'd suggest North Carolina. The coast is lovely and Smokey Mtns are really beautiful.

Last edited by JustCallMeTC; 11-12-2009 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-12-2009, 02:57 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,121,470 times
Terrain near the beaches south of New England is flat. In NC, you have to drive a couple of hours to start seeing much in the way of hills. Thus, to get mild winters, hills & water on the east coast you're probably looking at inland lakes & reserviors.

A couple to consider:
Lake James, NC
Smith Mountain Lake, VA

Old 11-13-2009, 04:46 AM

925 posts, read 2,290,556 times
You might also want to check out Lake Chatuge in Georgia or North Carolina. It straddles the state line.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:21 AM

21,182 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Lake Lure, NC is beautiful. It's half an hour from Asheville and about 15 minutes or so from Hendersonville.
You might check out Hendersonville as it's more of a community/city yet close to the lake's activities.
The city also has a great school system.

Hendersonville, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.smartdestinations.com/des...eLureTours.jpg
http://www.henderson.k12.nc.us/testi...CrdEnglish.pdf

Old 11-13-2009, 07:37 AM

510 posts, read 1,586,298 times
Thanks alot of the Lakes in NC I have looked into and they are beautiful. My next trip may be down to the Lake Lure area. Just not sure if there is work to be found in these areas. Smith Mountain Lake seems to be more summer homes or retired people. Doesn't sound like an area for a young family, maybe I am wrong? One thing that drives me nuts about lakes, especially in NC is that they contain a nuclear plant on many of them. I really am not fond of living by one or even seeing one in the distance. Would love California but it seems so far from home and not drivable. But keep the thoughts coming!

Old 11-13-2009, 06:12 PM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Except for the mild winters, Syracuse would be the perfect area, as there are quite a few beaches and hills within an hour of the city: Onondaga County Parks, Jamesville (http://onondagacountyparks.com/jamesville - broken link)
Onondaga County Parks, Oneida (http://onondagacountyparks.com/oneida - broken link)
Green Lakes State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Sandy Island Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Verona Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation
Sylvan Beach, New York
Fair Haven Beach State Park - NYS Parks, Recreation & Historic Preservation

Old 11-13-2009, 06:31 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
Thanks alot of the Lakes in NC I have looked into and they are beautiful. My next trip may be down to the Lake Lure area. Just not sure if there is work to be found in these areas. Smith Mountain Lake seems to be more summer homes or retired people. Doesn't sound like an area for a young family, maybe I am wrong? One thing that drives me nuts about lakes, especially in NC is that they contain a nuclear plant on many of them. I really am not fond of living by one or even seeing one in the distance. Would love California but it seems so far from home and not drivable. But keep the thoughts coming!
There are two nuclear reactors east of Charlotte, and the other three are near the NC coast. If you're looking in the NC mountains you won't have to worry about that.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,014,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Beaches and mountains...if you want to swim in the ocean, CA is the place to be. If you prefer fresh water, Oregon and WA are can't miss. Since you prefer the East coast, I'd suggest North Carolina. The coast is lovely and Smokey Mtns are really beautiful.
Water is generally in California (although CA would be my first choice).

New York (long Island) Beaches, Catskills are about 3 hour away.

Hudson valley gives you the smell of the ocean with views of the mountains.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 27,609 times
Default Beach and Mountains Got em. See www.georgecurley.com or call

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
I am looking for a beach area with good schools and nice community feel. The problem is I also find that I need to see rolling hills to feel good. Most areas are very flat. I have thought about a lake area and its doable. I want mild winters and to live on the Eastern coast. I have looked at many areas but have not found "It" yet. Just like to hear some other options I may be overlooking.
Have both beach and mountains in app. foothills . See [url=http://www.georgecurley.com]George Curley Realty - Home[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.