U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 01:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just to add to what I was saying:
For the 2012 bid, it was NY, SF, DC, Houston and another city(forgot which one sorry. Either Cincy or Philly I think)

Anyway, every other city placed their venues near the center of town-it was only the SF bid that had its venues far away from the City(the olympic village was about 40 miles south) in a totally suburban setting.

And STILL, SF advanced to the final round against NY beating out the others. I think the USOC was hoping SF would change its tune and move the games north into The City but they gave up when it became clear that wasnt going to happen.

How can a suburban games compete with a NYC-centered games?
Wow. That sounds crazy. I one of the biggest problems about San Francisco bidding is that it would have to involve several different cities throughout the Bay Area which I'm sure would make things very complicated. I would love to see a San Francisco Olympics, but it sounds like it might not happen by 2020 or 2024.

For all the Californian posters, what about San Diego? I seems like that would be a great host city. I think they've tried once or twice to host if I'm not mistaken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:16 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I am sure many people could function just fine in the heat but you probably wouldn't be seeing that many new records be broken for track and field unless they ran the events at night time. How is the weather at night during August? Still pretty humid?
Actually the evenings are really nice in my opinion. Most people that move here seem to agree. Humidity with out heat can make it feel very cool. In addition, considering almost all most all of the skyscrapers here are glass and steel, it creates a beautiful effect glare off the skylines in the evenings.

But as far as the heat, hasn't Mexico City hosted it twice? We can't be worse than Mexico. I would think Rio would be more humid and hot during the summer as well.

Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Wow. That sounds crazy. I one of the biggest problems about San Francisco bidding is that it would have to involve several different cities throughout the Bay Area which I'm sure would make things very complicated. I would love to see a San Francisco Olympics, but it sounds like it might not happen by 2020 or 2024.

For all the Californian posters, what about San Diego? I seems like that would be a great host city. I think they've tried once or twice to host if I'm not mistaken.
San Diego has two big problems running against it:

1) Lack of Land - Just about everything is built up between the ocean and the mountains, and what isn't built up is usually a canyon.

2) The airport cannot handle the volume of traffic.

Also, the NIMBYism in San Diego would be just as bad as it would be in say, San Francisco, and you have a population who will NOT want to bankroll anything with their tax money.

Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 PM

32,389 posts, read 55,214,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
I really think the Bay Area would be great but where in the hell are they going to build all these new studiums and villages. It's not like SF has a lot of room to work with.
Well, the region already has most of the venues in place.

Outdoor
Stanford Stadium 85,500
UC Berkeley Memorial Stadium 71,729
Candlestick Park 70,207
Oakland Coliseum 63,026
Kezar Stadium 59,952(its historic capacity)
AT&T Park 41,503
Bulldog Stadium 41,031
Spartan Stadium 31,208
Mackay Stadium 29,993
Edwards Stadium/ Goldman Field 22,000
Hornet Stadium 21,195
Raley Field 11,193
Aggie Stadium 10,743

Indoor
Oracle Arena 19,596
HP Pavillion 18,500
Arco Arena 17,317
Save Mart Center 16,182
Cow Palace 12,953
Haas Pavilion 11,877
Stockton Arena 11,800
Selland Arena 11,300
Maples Pavilion 7,392

This list doesnt even include the 2 new stadium plans currently being bandied about by both the 49ers and Raiders, or the new A's stadium.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:49 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, the region already has most of the venues in place.

Outdoor
Stanford Stadium 85,500
UC Berkeley Memorial Stadium 71,729
Candlestick Park 70,207
Oakland Coliseum 63,026
Kezar Stadium 59,952(its historic capacity)
AT&T Park 41,503
Bulldog Stadium 41,031
Spartan Stadium 31,208
Mackay Stadium 29,993
Edwards Stadium/ Goldman Field 22,000
Hornet Stadium 21,195
Raley Field 11,193
Aggie Stadium 10,743

Indoor
Oracle Arena 19,596
HP Pavillion 18,500
Arco Arena 17,317
Save Mart Center 16,182
Cow Palace 12,953
Haas Pavilion 11,877
Stockton Arena 11,800
Selland Arena 11,300
Maples Pavilion 7,392

This list doesnt even include the 2 new stadium plans currently being bandied about by both the 49ers and Raiders, or the new A's stadium.
The Bay Area definitely has the venues and infrastructure in place to host the Olympics...but as someone pointed out earlier, the IOC likes to have most of the venues in a concentrated area and not spread throughout a large region. I'm not sure where all the venues listed above are located, but I know some of them are pretty far apart.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:00 PM

32,389 posts, read 55,214,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The Bay Area definitely has the venues and infrastructure in place to host the Olympics...but as someone pointed out earlier, the IOC likes to have most of the venues in a concentrated area and not spread throughout a large region.
The Bay Area proper would have 3 main clusters of venues.
San Francisco
Oakland/ Berkeley
San Jose/ Stanford

The Olympic Stadium and athletes village would be best put somewhere in the City or really close. Treasure Island, Candlestick Point, Even somewhere along the Eastern Shore of the Bay. The main objective would be an iconic setting that is in line with what the world associates to be SF.

In order to include all of Northern California, some events could be held in Sacramento and the Central Valley, not to mention Reno/ Lake Tahoe and the Monterey Peninsula.

Quote:
I'm not sure where all the venues listed above are located, but I know some of them are pretty far apart.
They are pretty much clustered into 5-6 areas. BART connects the East Bay to SF.

This also provides us an opportunity to take advantage of the Bay ferries as a serious alternative to driving. Especially between Candlestick Point, Downtown SF and The East Bay.

Obviously this is all imaginary at this point, but its fun to suppose.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
After the atlanta fiasco, I don't think the IOC would consider another "Bubbalympics"

This is just rediculous and really uncalled for.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:35 PM

18,653 posts, read 27,087,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Agreed. I would like to see them put together a bid.
DC shouldn't make a bid in our lifetime.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:14 AM

2 posts, read 9,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Houston would be a great city to host it, however I will feel super sorry for the athletes who have to do the Olympics in Houston. Can you imagine running sprints and long distance in the hot and humind Houston summer heat!

Im a runner myself and a year or so ago I went to Houston to visit my dad. Normally in LA, I run about 3 miles every other day. In Houston, I could barely finish a mile and a half before I was so winded, I almost fainted. That hot humidity is hell to run in.
Can't be as bad as elevation I usually only run a mile a day. At a mile high I start huffin and puffin, but at sea level I easily ran memorial park in Houston (in the middle of summer) which is about three miles and kept up with my triathlete friend who trains there. The oxygen is so thick there I feel like I could run forever.

Old 11-14-2009, 09:03 AM

5,429 posts, read 13,182,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Also, didn't Dallas try to bid for the 2012 Olympics, but was knocked out of one of the earlier rounds? But Houston actually did make it as one of the four finalists for the US cities
Correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
Now Austin is one great place. There you have scenery, topography, water, culture and tons of cool music.
I love that town. Too hot in the summer, but otherwise it's a diamond.
All of the complaints of Dallas and Houston being hot, but Austin is just as hot. Scenery/topography are the only things it has over Dallas or Houston, and that's only on the west side. The others have more culture, more attractions/things to do, plenty of music, and Houston has water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or