U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times

Advertisements

Cowboys have gotten a bit of a negative association lately...
http://www.preemptivekarma.com/Cowboy_George_W3.jpg (broken link)

I can't be too mad at Texas and the Southwest though...they've given us entertaining Governors in the past...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:55 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,182,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
I think it will be tough for any cities in Texas to get the olympics, simply because to many foreigners Texas represents "evil" America. It's home to cowboys, big cars, highways, and W. Whether or not it's fair or true, it seems to be how outsiders view the state.
Didn't seem to hurt China, which is known for a lot worse... by a longshot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
That was exactly my point about Houston and you could include Texas for that matter. Even on these boards, it seems like there are a lot of unfair and untrue negative stereotypes from people in the United States. Even though W is not from Texas (he's from Connecticut
I don't think the W association should matter anyway. In the least. This is a whole other topic, but I wouldn't be surprised if in hindsight, people realize he wasn't nearly as bad as he was made out to be by the biased media and other sources. Just my opinion.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:03 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,885 times
Quote:
Cowboys have gotten a bit of a negative association lately...

I can't be too mad at Texas and the Southwest though...they've given us entertaining Governors in the past...
Maybe we should have hired Mel Brooks as our PR rep when we had the chance. lol!

Old 11-16-2009, 01:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,677,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

I don't think the W association should matter anyway. In the least. This is a whole other topic, but I wouldn't be surprised if in hindsight, people realize he wasn't nearly as bad as he was made out to be by the biased media and other sources. Just my opinion.
I somewhat agree. Although I don't think he will ever be viewed as a good president, I do think that as time goes on while different people are running our government, Bush's relevance will began to fade along with Texas' "association" with the former president in most peoples minds.

Although, I agree. this is off topic.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I agree China's worse when it comes to pollution, etc, but remember China had never hosted the Olympics, so that helped their cause. They're also an up-and-coming country, blah, blah, blah--you know the story.

Quote:
He was definitely really bad. However, some groups have gone as far as to say he belongs in the same company as Hitler, Stalin, and Hussein (very, very ignorant on their part because he doesn't belong anywhere near those people). I'm not saying W was as bad as the media portrays him to be, but the outside view of him portrays him to be a horrible person, and he's a Texan (in their eyes). That's why I think it could have a negative effect on any Texas cities' chances, whether it's fair or not.

I think that international views of a city could actually help a place like Boston, which is supposedly looked at in a very positive light from an international standpoint.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,182,560 times
Quote:
I agree China's worse when it comes to pollution, etc,
Uh, pollution is barely the tip of the iceburg.

Try severe human rights abuses, insane animal cruelty, pirating & very questionable business practices, communism, etc.

Quote:
He was definitely really bad. However, some groups have gone as far as to say he belongs in the same company as Hitler, Stalin, and Hussein (very, very ignorant on their part because he doesn't belong anywhere near those people). I'm not saying W was as bad as the media portrays him to be, but the outside view of him portrays him to be a horrible person, and he's a Texan (in their eyes). That's why I think it could have a negative effect on any Texas cities' chances, whether it's fair or not.

I think that international views of a city could actually help a place like Boston, which is supposedly looked at in a very positive light from an international standpoint.
I can't help if so much of the rest of the world is so ignorant. Ironically, it's often Texans accused of being so ignorant of elsewhere.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:57 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Very true...the horrible Bush presidency is fresh in our minds at the moment. Who really remembers what they hated about Nixon or Reagan at this point? As soon as we get another evil leader, no one will give Bush a second thought.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:42 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,991,558 times
Quote:
I think it will be tough for any cities in Texas to get the olympics, simply because to many foreigners Texas represents "evil" America. It's home to cowboys, big cars, highways, and W. Whether or not it's fair or true, it seems to be how outsiders view the state.
You see I agree with you and then again I don't. Hollywood loves to give the world these images, but then again there are so many smart people out there, so I have a feeling things would be okay. I don't think it would factor in too much. I think we Americans make it a bigger deal. If anything it would actually help Texas as long as they stay away from too many stereotypes because once you get down to it, you realize that the big Texas cities are just cities and offer everything if not more than any other city.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Uh, pollution is barely the tip of the iceburg.

Try severe human rights abuses, insane animal cruelty, pirating & very questionable business practices, communism, etc.

I can't help if so much of the rest of the world is so ignorant. Ironically, it's often Texans accused of being so ignorant of elsewhere.
I agree with you 100% on both of those issues. I'm simply saying how others seem to perceive the United States, Texas, and Bush. I certainly don't agree with those people.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
You see I agree with you and then again I don't. Hollywood loves to give the world these images, but then again there are so many smart people out there, so I have a feeling things would be okay. I don't think it would factor in too much. I think we Americans make it a bigger deal. If anything it would actually help Texas as long as they stay away from too many stereotypes because once you get down to it, you realize that the big Texas cities are just cities and offer everything if not more than any other city.
Very true. But if other cities like Boston and Minneapolis which are liberal and more in line with European politics, are in the running for the Olympics, wouldn't you agree it may give them an advantage over the traditionally conservative cities of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or