U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 05:24 PM

5,429 posts, read 13,188,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Green Houston. Houston is already an energy capital (and what I hear, working on alternative energy as well), and ranks surprisingly high on green building lists (including this recent one) EPA: Houston ranks #1 in Energy Star Homes
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I think the alternative/renewable energy or green themed Olympics would be a very good selling point for Houston.
Here's another related story just out
Houston to be launch city for Reliant, Nissan electric car deal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:42 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Very true. But if other cities like Boston and Minneapolis which are liberal and more in line with European politics, are in the running for the Olympics, wouldn't you agree it may give them an advantage over the traditionally conservative cities of Texas?
I don't know; from a business perspective and people who have traveled. They know what Texas is all about; and will not easily dismiss it due to the fact that we have a bad rep. The biggest thing that cost Houston the Olympics was its lack of scenery; it had nothing to due with the conservative beliefs that people still believe Houston holds.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:43 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,994,055 times
Quote:
Very true. But if other cities like Boston and Minneapolis which are liberal and more in line with European politics, are in the running for the Olympics, wouldn't you agree it may give them an advantage over the traditionally conservative cities of Texas?
I really think that if a city like Houston or Dallas advertised themselves the right way, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. If they don't let the world stereotype them(because for whatever reason, Texas just wants to give in to them like "Okay, let's just give the people what they wanted to see...") and just move on. I mean some of the cities that bid have way worse problems like Rio and crime(I know people are going to come on here and say "Well Rio is known for it's beach and beautiful people...", but that crime is a topic of it's own), and definitely China and it's laws. But you know what, they can/did prove to us that they are/were capable of holding a worldwide event. The cities have what it takes, they just have to show the world that they have it.

But I also have to admit that holding the Olympics doesn't always do what you expect it would for a city. It could make cities end up in tons of debt and/or they will get stuck with an image they didn't even have before and probably don't want to keep.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:46 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,721,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I really think that if a city like Houston or Dallas advertised themselves the right way, it wouldn't be too much of a problem. If they don't let the world stereotype them(because for whatever reason, Texas just wants to give in to them like "Okay, let's just give the people what they wanted to see...") and just move on. I mean some of the cities that bid have way worse problems like Rio and crime(I know people are going to come on here and say "Well Rio is known for it's beach and beautiful people...", but that crime is a topic of it's own), and definitely China and it's laws. But you know what, they can/did prove to us that they are/were capable of holding a worldwide event. The cities have what it takes, they just have to show the world that they have it.

But I also have to admit that holding the Olympics doesn't always do what you expect it would for a city. It could make cities end up in tons of debt and/or they will get stuck with an image they didn't even have before and probably don't want to keep.
Yeah; I personally could care less if Houston hosted the Olympics; I'm more excited about the 2020 World Expo.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:54 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,526,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post

Good points. And also, wasn't Montreal left in hideous debt after they hosted the Olympics?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:00 PM

30 posts, read 77,328 times
Being from Minneapolis I can tell you that people would be shocked about how beautiful the layout of the city is. Only an extended stay such as the olympics would highlight all the area has to offer to people. I think if the twin cities hosted the olympic people would have better time than they would expect.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr
Good points. And also, wasn't Montreal left in hideous debt after they hosted the Olympics?
Yes, about 30 years for them to pay off that stadium. And to tell you the truth, there are few cities that can even hold a worthwhile Olympics. Many have places held it, but it didn't exactly give them the international appeal they hoped for or it was just for the time being. For some, it does not even feel like it did anything for their image. I guess it just depends on how smart the city is. It's very difficult to deal with the Olympics that it makes me skeptical on it, and wish for some of my favorite cities not getting bent on hosting one. There are cities that are just really good at dealing with that type of event, though.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Yeah; I personally could care less if Houston hosted the Olympics; I'm more excited about the 2020 World Expo.
That's good for Houston. I think that kind of recognition is good in general and for getting Houston ready for more events.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:43 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,679,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Agreed. I think they have a much better chance at the Expo as well. All of the good things Houston is known for would mean way more influential in bringing the Expo than the Olympics. And, the more stories I real like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
the idea of Houston being able to lour the Expo seems more and more likely.

I know I already posted this, but I might as well post it again. It's a like to the Houston bid for the World Expo.

Expo Houston 2020: The next American World's Fair

Oh wow, and check out this quote form the website:

"Expos attract significantly larger number of visitors than the Olympic games. While the '96 Olympic games in Atlanta attractted [lol! they misspelled attracted] 2 million visitors, the 2010 Shanghai fair is estimated to receive 70 million."

That would be great exposure for Houston.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-16-2009 at 09:55 PM..

Old 11-16-2009, 10:07 PM

2,026 posts, read 3,679,843 times
Quote:
Out of the cities that have officially decided to bid, I really like Boston the best. Do you think Boston getting the Olympics would be good for the city or would they end up collecting a massive debt like Montreal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or