U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,613 times

Advertisements

I guess we can rule out Chicago. Obama ruined it for them already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 11:34 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Out of the cities that have officially decided to bid, I really like Boston the best. Do you think Boston getting the Olympics would be good for the city or would they end up collecting a massive debt like Montreal?
That's a good question. After (very briefly) reading about the Montreal Olympics, it seems the city had so much trouble because the city to pay for everything themselves. To go with that, the city had to build so much in order to make themselves capable of hosting the events.

I feel like Boston wouldn't have to build as much, and would be able to get State and Federal funding support for things like transit-upgrades. Since Boston/Cambridge is littered with colleges, it's also littered with stadiums, which could lower the number of stadiums that need to be built. We would still need to build a big-boy flagship stadium, which people in Boston have proposed could be built with the idea of reducing capacity in the future for the New England Revolution soccer team (London has plans to do this with one/some of their Olympic stadia). On top of all that, can you imagine how beautiful it would look on TV to see rowing championships on the Charles River? Boston on one side, and Cambridge on the other. Plus they could have the finish line at/near the Longfellow Bridge (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcsenger/3478225350/sizes/o/ - broken link)!

Here's where it gets interesting: the private sector contributions/NIMBY interference. First the NIMBYs. People discussed how San Francisco has bad NIMBYs...well Boston's are probably worse. I'm pretty sure we've got the worst NIMBYs in the nation outside NYC (yes, believe it or not, they're horrible there...even in Midtown Manhattan). Since Boston has such tough NIMBYs, developers are often beaten into giving/doing a huge amount to the community they build in. This can be a good thing, but often these neighborhood groups are so rabid, their only intention is to force the developer into giving so much--and reducing what they can build--that the project becomes economically infeasible. I believe these NIMBYs are a small, but very vocal group. They often get their way.

However, here's the beauty of the situation: Boston's Mayor basically has absolute power. If he wants something done, he can basically just tell the NIMBYs to shut up, and it gets done (developers often have to grease the wheels a little bit). Mayor Menino has long been obsessed with his own legacy/ego, and I would imagine he's getting wood just thinking of the Olympics coming to the Hub. However, how the majority of the population would react to the prospect of the Olympics coming here remains unknown.

While the NIMBYs could be a possible hindrance on Olympic development...the private sector could possibly help Boston. South Boston would be the perfect spot for the Olympic Village. Before the economic collapse, there were huge plans for SB. Here's an old picture of SB (there's a bit more developed there now):

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w294/cojapo/seaport_sq_2.jpg (broken link)

Here is a massing (meaning this isn't the architecture of each building, just showing what was planned to be there in terms of size) of the planned developement:

Financing had fallen through for most of these projects. However, if Boston were awarded the Olmpics, it's safe to say these projects would definitely find the financing they need. The only new building that has been built in Fan Pier (one of the major dev there) was built on a 100% speculative basis, meaning there was no anchor tenant when construction started (one has been found since then). That's nearly unheard of. Since much of the development for SB is hotel/retail, I don't see how they wouldn't get financing (Chicago expected an additional $695.9M of economic activity for Cook County from 2015-2017. I would think Boston could expect about the same). Much of the development is also Residential and Office development, both of which are needed in the city.

How does this private contribution help Boston? Well aside from the obvious (less to build in terms of hotels, etc), there's one huge benefit. Due to the ridiculous NIMBYs in the city, Boston is great at getting little "extras" from developers. So therefore, when these developments get financing, it would mean the city would get perks from this. Sayyyy, maybe a healthy contribution to help upgrade the mass transit in the area? Maybe a Silver Line expansion/upgrade (which I mentioned here)? Things like that can go a long way in reducing the city's financial exposure to these new developments.

I'm sure there are plenty of holes in my argument, so anyone can pick it apart as they see fit. There's obviously many more details that need to be worked out, this is a general overview of the situation and its possibilities.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM

9,967 posts, read 14,633,103 times
We've had the Olympics in the United States enough times in the recent past...The Summer Games were in Atlanta in 1996, LA in 1984--the Winter Games in Salt Lake City in 2002 and Squaw Valley in 1960. Let some other countries have it and deal with the whole financial hassle of holding the games. Part of what makes the Olympics interesting is getting to see the exotic locations in some foreign country...How boring would've it been to have to watch marathon runners racing through the Chicago suburbs? (Almost as boring as London will be in 2012) Now Rio De Janeiro--that's a picturesque city; even the crime-ridden favelas(slums) are colorful.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-17-2009 at 01:32 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 01:25 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,705,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
We've had the Olympics in the United States enough times in the recent past...The Summer Games were in Atlanta in 1996, LA in 1984--the Winter Games in Salt Lake City in 2002 and Squaw Valley in 1960. Let some other countries have it and deal with the whole financial hassle of holding the games. Part of what makes the Olympics interesting is getting to see the exotic locations in some foreign country...How boring would've it been to have to watch marathon runners racing through the Chicago suburbs? (Almost as boring as London will be in 2012) Now Rio De Janeiro--that's a picturesque city; even the favelas(slums) are colorful.
I though it would be beautiful to see the runners running through Houston's breathtaking picturesque refineries and ports.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:39 PM

6,628 posts, read 12,517,455 times
Quote:
We've had the Olympics in the United States enough times in the recent past...The Summer Games were in Atlanta in 1996, LA in 1984--the Winter Games in Salt Lake City in 2002 and Squaw Valley in 1960. Let some other countries have it and deal with the whole financial hassle of holding the games. Part of what makes the Olympics interesting is getting to see the exotic locations in some foreign country...How boring would've it been to have to watch marathon runners racing through the Chicago suburbs? (Almost as boring as London will be in 2012) Now Rio De Janeiro--that's a picturesque city; even the crime-ridden favelas(slums) are colorful.
Hmmm...so if we paint our buildings pink, yellow, blue, and green, Boston will be more acceptable as an Olympic city?

What makes you think London is going to be boring? It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I'm not sure why you consider having 3 Summer Olympics in the US over a course of 36 years would be "too much".

Old 11-17-2009, 02:07 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Hmmm...so if we paint our buildings pink, yellow, blue, and green, Boston will be more acceptable as an Olympic city?

What makes you think London is going to be boring? It's one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I'm not sure why you consider having 3 Summer Olympics in the US over a course of 36 years would be "too much".

I have never seen a Summer Olympics that was boring...but I love watching sports and really get into the Olympics competition. I can see where someone might be bored by it, but the host city shouldn't have any affect on one's boredom.

I agree - the U.S. has only hosted the Summer Olympics twice in the last 75 years...definitely not "too much".

Old 11-17-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Okay, Central London has it's beautiful parts..I'm just not that enthused with the majority of London and it's grey weather...

Not saying that Boston wouldn't be a decent location for the Olympics, it's probably as good as choice as San Francisco, which was unrealistically thrown around as a potential host a few years back.. I'm just saying I find the games much more interesting in a more diverse range of locations.

Part of the appeal of the Olympics is when a country or city hosts for the first time it's kind of badge of honor--a signifier that they've arrived on the world's stage. There's only been three Summer Olympics in Asian countries ever, it's never been held in Africa, Mexico City is the only Latin American city and Rio will be the first South American city... And I realize that the reason the vast majority of the games are held in European and occasionally North American(or Australia) locations is mainly a matter of economic affordability...Athens could barely afford to pull off the games and is now left with a bunch of unused stadiums and complexes.

But yeah, mid-sized US cities are going to make bids for the Olympics, but does anyone in their right mind think that cities like Tulsa or Birmingham, Alabama have a shot at the 2020 Olympics? They'd be lucky to get the Final Four..

2020 Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2009, 02:55 PM

Can anyone even name an African city that is ready and able to host the Olympics? There may be a couple that are close, but none are truly there as far as I can tell. The same can be said over the past few years for South American cities...and I'm not convinced that Rio is ready for it either.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Can anyone even name an African city that is ready and able to host the Olympics? There may be a couple that are close, but none are truly there as far as I can tell. The same can be said over the past few years for South American cities...and I'm not convinced that Rio is ready for it either.
Capetown will be a candidate for 2020..South Africa is holding the World Cup next year, so we'll see how their venues and infrastructure can handle that. They've supposedly got 70 percent of the required venues that would be needed for the Olympics. Other than that, Africa wouldn't have many choices--Rabat, Morocco is possibly going to be a candidate, but I doubt Morocco is really ready for anything on that scale.

With Brazil's recent economic growth, I'd say they'll be able to manage the games at least better than Athens did..Buenos Aires (except for the fact that Argentina's economy still remains shakey) or Santiago, Chile, could be future candidates as well--Santiago possibly for the Winter Games also.

I mean if Atlanta could host the Olympics, who's to say a Latin American city can't host it...

Old 11-17-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Capetown will be a candidate for 2020..South Africa is holding the World Cup next year, so we'll see how their venues and infrastructure can handle that. They've supposedly got 70 percent of the required venues that would be needed for the Olympics. Other than that, Africa wouldn't have many choices--Rabat, Morocco is possibly going to be a candidate, but I doubt Morocco is really ready for anything on that scale.

With Brazil's recent economic growth, I'd say they'll be able to manage the games at least better than Athens did..Buenos Aires (except for the fact that Argentina's economy still remains shakey) or Santiago, Chile, could be future candidates as well--Santiago possibly for the Winter Games also.

I mean if Atlanta could host the Olympics, who's to say a Latin American city can't host it...
Atlanta doesn't have even NEARLY the same issues as most Latin American cities - crime just to name one. Atlanta was much more qualified as an Olympics host city than any city in Latin America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or