U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The problem with Dallas is Dallas. Why on earth would anyone want to go to a summer event in that oppressive heat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
This has got to be a joke. Dallas is oppressively hot in the summertime. Do you want all the athletes to pass out from heat exhaustion?

Not to mention the lack of scenery in the area...
The heat in Dallas is not THAT bad. We're not talking sub-tropical temperatures. The Olympics have been in places just as hot as Dallas before. I would think Rio and Honolulu would be worse than Dallas.

As for scenery, there actually is a lot cool stuff in Dallas/Fort Worth. In addition, Dallas is spending about 12 BILLION dollars on urban projects and that's not including Fort Worth and the other cities. And that is JUST through 2012. That's still 8-12 more years of architecture to be built in America's fastest growing metro. In addition, like I mentioned before, the city will have a lot of extra money to spend considering they will not have to build a whole bunch of sports areas. So that money could go into things like architecture and a public transportation system.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-12-2009 at 11:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
802 posts, read 1,745,126 times
Reputation: 364
Okay after looking up the Temps for Dallas. THey are high between May and September and it would be hot for the Athletes. but not that bad Atlanta is almost pretty much like that.

And For Boston to host the olympics would be hard because, To Me the IOC seems to like Themed Cities which a major culture is based in the city, and while Boston is a great historical city there really no Boston culture thats has the worlds attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,637 posts, read 27,042,193 times
Reputation: 9577
People do know that they don't have to hold the Olympics in the middle of the summer right? The Summer Olympics can be held in September. Heck, a couple went into early October.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,674,536 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
Okay after looking up the Temps for Dallas. THey are high between May and September and it would be hot for the Athletes. but not that bad Atlanta is almost pretty much like that.

Thank you! I think whole the tropical and subtropical regions of the world experience much more extreme heat than Dallas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Denver
6,628 posts, read 12,502,634 times
Reputation: 4054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
And For Boston to host the olympics would be hard because, To Me the IOC seems to like Themed Cities which a major culture is based in the city, and while Boston is a great historical city there really no Boston culture thats has the worlds attention.
Does being the intellectual center of America (and possibly the world) count as culture? You have the world's best school and arguably the world's best tech school with campuses bordering one another. The top-minds from all over the globe come here for higher education.

Also, thanks to our history we've earned the nickname "The Cradle of Liberty". I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "themed cities"...

You seem to like the idea of Dallas, what would their theme be? Oil?

If it went to Detroit, what would they do? Would all the events happen in abandoned car factories? Would the Olympic Torch be an enormous barrel-fire?

I'm not saying we should get the Summer Olympics (though it would be cool), but you're way off when it comes to Boston not having enough culture to be a host-city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
802 posts, read 1,745,126 times
Reputation: 364
The Average temps when the Olympics were help in the respective cities

Atlanta 89 (Held in July) but really Humid
Sydney 68 (Held in September)
Athens 92 (Held in August)
Beijing 76 (Held in August)
London 73 (WIll be held in August)

Dallas average would be between 92-96 if the olympics were to be held in that city. But Dallas which isnt as humid as Atlanta or Beijing heat is bearable. As Long as it doesnt rain during the game Dallas heat is tolerable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
802 posts, read 1,745,126 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Does being the intellectual center of America (and possibly the world) count as culture? You have the world's best school and arguably the world's best tech school with campuses bordering one another. The top-minds from all over the globe come here for higher education.

Also, thanks to our history we've earned the nickname "The Cradle of Liberty". I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "themed cities"...

You seem to like the idea of Dallas, what would their theme be? Oil?

If it went to Detroit, what would they do? Would all the events happen in abandoned car factories? Would the Olympic Torch be an enormous barrel-fire?

I'm not saying we should get the Summer Olympics (though it would be cool), but you're way off when it comes to Boston not having enough culture to be a host-city.
The Post I made about Boston was only my opinion, of how I felt how the IOC chooses cities. and NO I dont think that being a "Intellectual Center for America" is a culture. Sorry, thats not really a culture for me.

And also the point about Theme Cities was only a speculation from me. I say theme because I see they never pick the same type of city twice.

Sorry I Wasnt meaning to offend you on my post of Boston I was only giving a opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:55 AM
 
Location: At your mama's house
966 posts, read 1,607,982 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
The heat in Dallas is not THAT bad. We're not talking sub-tropical temperatures. The Olympics have been in places just as hot as Dallas before. I would think Rio and Honolulu would be worse than Dallas..

As for scenery, there actually is a lot cool stuff in Dallas/Fort Worth. In addition, Dallas is spending about 12 BILLION dollars on urban projects and that's not including Fort Worth and the other cities. And that is JUST through 2012. That's still 8-12 more years of architecture to be built in America's fastest growing metro. In addition, like I mentioned before, the city will have a lot of extra money to spend considering they will not have to build a whole bunch of sports areas. So that money could go into things like architecture and a public transportation system.

HA HA HA!

Thanks, I needed that laugh. I'll concede and say Rio may not be much better in the summertime, but if you think for one minute that Honolulu is worse than Dallas in the summertime, obviously you've never traveled there.

I knew some people in the Dallas area were really oblivious to how hot it can get there in the summertime compared to other areas, but not this oblivious. People were complaining about Atlanta's heat and humidity during the 1996 Olympics, so I can't imagine what they'd think of Dallas, which is in one of the hottest regions of the country outside of the Lower Mojave (where Phoenix is located) in the summertime. There have been days of temperatures where it was over 100 degrees. Not very optimal for strenuous athletic activity.

Also, you're mistaking man-made attractions for natural scenery. Sydney has the Harbor, Rio is in one of the most beautiful regions in the world. While Atlanta is known for its trees, but much of the area is a sprawled out mess.Centennial Olympic Park was created as a gathering place of sorts. The officials from Atlanta went to visit Barcelona and saw the beautiful architecture and scenery and figured that Atlanta needed something as a showplace. Dallas is pretty much Atlanta without the hills and tall trees. I never thought Atlanta should've got the Olympics over Athens, but that's neither here nor there.

I guess that drainage ditch also known as the Trinity River is considered scenery in Dallas. I know they're putting a park there, but with a toll road, right?

Dallas, like Atlanta was built on pure commercialism, and after the over-commercialization of the Atlanta Olympics, I doubt the IOC would want to go to a similar area like this.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 11-12-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:56 AM
 
Location: At your mama's house
966 posts, read 1,607,982 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgyeldell View Post
The Post I made about Boston was only my opinion, of how I felt how the IOC chooses cities. and NO I dont think that being a "Intellectual Center for America" is a culture. Sorry, thats not really a culture for me.
.

Then what exactly is "culture" to you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,037 posts, read 8,076,339 times
Reputation: 1499
One thing they could do in Dallas is have the Olympics in September like Sydney did. Although I think it'll still be too hot even in late September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top