U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 PM

6,344 posts, read 7,768,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Capetown will be a candidate for 2020..South Africa is holding the World Cup next year, so we'll see how their venues and infrastructure can handle that. They've supposedly got 70 percent of the required venues that would be needed for the Olympics. Other than that, Africa wouldn't have many choices--Rabat, Morocco is possibly going to be a candidate, but I doubt Morocco is really ready for anything on that scale.
There was rumblings less than a couple years ago that the World Cup was about to bail on South Africa due to their inability to build the required stadiums. They're going to be fine now, but there were some very serious bumps in the road initially. I can't think of any African city outside of Capetown, Johannesburg, or Cairo that could even be slightly considered for the Olympics.

Quote:
With Brazil's recent economic growth, I'd say they'll be able to manage the games at least better than Athens did..Buenos Aires (except for the fact that Argentina's economy still remains shakey) or Santiago, Chile, could be future candidates as well--Santiago possibly for the Winter Games also.
Well, we'll see how it goes in Rio. There is the potential for insanely horrible things to happen there. The murder/drug problem in Rio is insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 07:11 PM

7,852 posts, read 12,745,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
There was rumblings less than a couple years ago that the World Cup was about to bail on South Africa due to their inability to build the required stadiums. They're going to be fine now, but there were some very serious bumps in the road initially. I can't think of any African city outside of Capetown, Johannesburg, or Cairo that could even be slightly considered for the Olympics.

Well, we'll see how it goes in Rio. There is the potential for insanely horrible things to happen there. The murder/drug problem in Rio is insane.
And the crime in those cities is still out of control, along with rampant poverty. The World Cup will be a good gauge for South Africa as far as having a possible future Olympics host city.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 PM

9,976 posts, read 7,421,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Atlanta doesn't have even NEARLY the same issues as most Latin American cities - crime just to name one. Atlanta was much more qualified as an Olympics host city than any city in Latin America.

Well...Atlanta's no slouch in the crime department either..What was the murder rate back in 1996?

Old 11-17-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Well...Atlanta's no slouch in the crime department either..What was the murder rate back in 1996?
Whatever it was, it was nothing NEAR the murder rates and overall crime rates in 3rd world countries - I guarantee you that.

There were 156 murders in Atlanta in 1996...compared to 105 in 2008.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Whatever it was, it was nothing NEAR the murder rates and overall crime rates in 3rd world countries - I guarantee you that.

There were 156 murders in Atlanta in 1996...compared to 105 in 2008.
156 murders for a population of 400,000 is a murder rate of 39 per 100,000.

While 2,273 murders in 2006 for a population of 6,093,472 in Rio De Janeiro is a murder rate of 37.3 per 100,000.

Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I'm not trying to disparage Atlanta here or trying to pretend that Brazil doesn't have a serious, if not downright frightening crime problem. I'm just saying that there are world-class cities outside of Europe and North America that should be given the chance to host the games. Atlanta is a fairly small city and metro area in the world-wide scale of things--it's hosting of the games was a pretty lucky break.

Sao Paulo and Rio have actually recorded significant drops in crime in the last several years--and Brazil's economy is actually growing at levels close to China's. It's a developing country, but it's hardly just a third-world location.

Yeah, I agree that anywhere in Africa, even Capetown(which has it's own massive crime problem) will always be a far long shot for any Olympic consideration..And since the Summer Games will have been held in Australia, Asia, Europe and now South America during this millennium, (but not North America), the US probably does have a decent shot at 2020.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Quote:
156 murders for a population of 400,000 is a murder rate of 39 per 100,000.

While 2,273 murders in 2006 for a population of 6,093,472 in Rio De Janeiro is a murder rate of 37.3 per 100,000.

Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I'm not trying to disparage Atlanta here or trying to pretend that Brazil doesn't have a serious, if not downright frightening crime problem. I'm just saying that there are world-class cities outside of Europe and North America that should be given the chance to host the games. Atlanta is a fairly small city and metro area in the world-wide scale of things--it's hosting of the games was a pretty lucky break.

Sao Paulo and Rio have actually recorded significant drops in crime in the last several years--and Brazil's economy is actually growing at levels close to China's. It's a developing country, but it's hardly just a third-world location.

Yeah, I agree that anywhere in Africa, even Capetown(which has it's own massive crime problem) will always be a far long shot for any Olympic consideration..And since the Summer Games will have been held in Australia, Asia, Europe and now South America during this millennium, (but not North America), the US probably does have a decent shot at 2020.
I believe that the murder figures are for Metro Atlanta...a bit more than a population of 400,000.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
I believe that the murder figures are for Metro Atlanta...a bit more than a population of 400,000.
Nope, that's just for the city. The rate in 2007 was 26 murders per 100,000 for Atlanta.

And the total crime figures were under-reported to begin with during the Olympic selection process. Just like Rio, there were concerns about holding the games in Atlanta due to the crime rate.

Report: Atlanta understated crime for years - U.S. news- msnbc.com

Old 11-17-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Nope, that's just for the city. The rate in 2007 was 26 murders per 100,000 for Atlanta.

And the total crime figures were under-reported to begin with during the Olympic selection process. Just like Rio, there were concerns about holding the games in Atlanta due to the crime rate.

Report: Atlanta understated crime for years - U.S. news- msnbc.com
Atlanta's crime rate is nowhere near Rio's. Don't even try it. Rio is widely known as one of the world's most crime-ridden cities. Atlanta isn't even in the top 10 in the U.S. - in fact Atlanta currently ranks 20th among U.S. cities.

If Atlanta police underreported crime in order to help it's chances for the Olympics, it would have been done during the 80s. The IOC chose Atlanta in 1990.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Atlanta's crime rate is nowhere near Rio's. Don't even try it. Rio is widely known as one of the world's most crime-ridden cities. Atlanta isn't even in the top 10 in the U.S. - in fact Atlanta currently ranks 20th among U.S. cities.

If Atlanta police underreported crime in order to help it's chances for the Olympics, it would have been done during the 80s. The IOC chose Atlanta in 1990.
Yawn...

So anyways, maybe Boston isn't that bad a choice for a candidate for the 2020 Summer Games. I mean it's a beautiful historic city with great old architecture, lots of potential for events in the surrounding parts of New England...

And also it's much nicer then Atlanta. Just kidding..

Old 11-17-2009, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Yawn...

So anyways, maybe Boston isn't that bad a choice for a candidate for the 2020 Summer Games. I mean it's a beautiful historic city with great old architecture, lots of potential for events in the surrounding parts of New England...

And also it's much nicer then Atlanta. Just kidding..
I know, it's boring to be wrong isn't it?

I can't even believe someone would try to say that the rate of crime in Rio is anywhere near similar to ANY U.S. city. It's no contest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.