U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 AM

9,967 posts, read 14,612,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I know, it's boring to be wrong isn't it?

I can't even believe someone would try to say that the rate of crime in Rio is anywhere near similar to ANY U.S. city. It's no contest.
True, the crime problems of many Brazillian cities dwarf even places like Detroit--I'm not arguing that. And yes statistics comparing foreign cities to the US can be misleading..however my point was simply that a small city like Atlanta which had a horrible reputation for crime in the 80s and 90s and a high murder rate overcame that image to land the Olympics.

Despite the high crime in outlying slums of Rio De Janeiro, it still is a vibrant, world-class city and when I've visited it, I've never felt threatened in the central areas except for the possiblilty of theft. I''ll admit that Rio does face some serious challenges in hosting the games. But to say that no Latin American cities are worthy or qualified of hosting future Olympics in somewhat insulting.

And now this article seems somewhat ironic..

Atlanta's Brazilian 'Sister' Wins 2016 Olympics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 03:56 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,534,266 times
I think Honolulu would be amazing, but that would be very difficult to accomplish. Honolulu doesn't have enough existing venues, the population is small, especially considering that there are no other nearby cities. If Honolulu could make it happen though, it would be an incredible Olympics.

Cities that I think could do a great job at hosting the Olympics are Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Houston, Philadelphia, and San Francisco. New York would be very cool, but being so crowded and crazy, I have no idea how that would even work. I remember how unbearable the city was when they hosted the Republican National Convention in 2004 haha. I'm so glad that Chicago did not get the Olympic bid for 2016, but I think 2020 would be better timing. My international vote would go to New Delhi. I think by 2020 or 2024, India could do a fantastic job at hosting the Olympics. It would be culturally rich, it would be great for the city, and seeing as the IOC completely ignores South Asia, the Middle East, and Africa, it would be nice to see a city in one of those regions host the Olympics. Ideally, I would like to see a US city get the Olympics in 2020, and India (or even South Africa, UAE, or Turkey) to get it in 2024.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:58 AM

815 posts, read 1,841,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
156 murders for a population of 400,000 is a murder rate of 39 per 100,000.

While 2,273 murders in 2006 for a population of 6,093,472 in Rio De Janeiro is a murder rate of 37.3 per 100,000.

Rio de Janeiro - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But I'm not trying to disparage Atlanta here or trying to pretend that Brazil doesn't have a serious, if not downright frightening crime problem. I'm just saying that there are world-class cities outside of Europe and North America that should be given the chance to host the games. Atlanta is a fairly small city and metro area in the world-wide scale of things--it's hosting of the games was a pretty lucky break.

Sao Paulo and Rio have actually recorded significant drops in crime in the last several years--and Brazil's economy is actually growing at levels close to China's. It's a developing country, but it's hardly just a third-world location.

Yeah, I agree that anywhere in Africa, even Capetown(which has it's own massive crime problem) will always be a far long shot for any Olympic consideration..And since the Summer Games will have been held in Australia, Asia, Europe and now South America during this millennium, (but not North America), the US probably does have a decent shot at 2020.

Dude your actually trying to compare crime in Atlanta to crime in Rio??? While crime is a problem in Atlanta, unless you are involved in some sort of illegal activity, or just simply hanging out in "the hood" you really wonít be a victim of any type of real crime. I know that is hard to fathom and all seeing as though you are from Portland, Oregon. Iím sure if someoneís car gets broken into there itís on the front page of the newspaper.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM

18,633 posts, read 27,052,687 times
Rio's crime makes Atlanta or any major city in the US look like some small town in Maine.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:03 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,227,700 times
Great contenders for...

Summer Olympics: Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Washington, Boston, New York, Honolulu, Pittsburgh

Winter Olympics: Denver, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Anchorage, Pittsburgh

Old 02-13-2010, 05:06 PM

2,348 posts, read 2,425,460 times
Default BOSTON MA "For we must consider that we shall be as a city upon a hill. The eyes of all people are upon us."

That quote comes from John Winthrop's speech given upon the founding of Boston in 1630. The city has only lived up to its moniker since then. It could make a great motto for the Games as well.

Of American cities so far, Boston might have the best bet. Part of the plan/feasibility is to include all of New England. That is an area about 75,000 square miles and a population of 16,000,000+ (more by 2020). The Boston metro area at its largest extent has 8,000,000+ people which makes it the 5th largest in the nation (twice the size of Atlanta) and makes it one of the 50 largest cities in the world. It is also one of the wealthiest cities in the world; with a host of mulitnational firms, science labs, corporations, banks, universities, and among the best educated popualtion.

Not too many other American cities can compete with its history (the city was founded in 1630-Massachusetts begins in 1620), the colonial era and the Revolution, the contributions of the Native American population (the IOC loves exotic cultural stuff like that), the Industrial Revolution through the modern era. Boston is the Cradle of Liberty and Freedom and the birthplace of American Exceptionalism (as seen through the region's authors, poets, and essayists of the 19th century). It was an industrial powerhouse and today is the center of life and tech science for the nation and arguably the world. Boston in short is a center of American culture and identity, a concept that could be sold to the IOC quite easily. I would argue that only NYC, Chicago, SF, and DC are as important to the American psyche.

Besides its amazing cultural institutions, it and the entire region is a sportsman's haven. Volleyball was invented in Holyoke, MA, Basketball was invented in Springfield, MA, there is rowing on the Charles River, sailing in Rhode Island, and of course baseball in Fenway. I would think athletes in those particular sports would drool at the chance to compete in those venues.

I think if local politicians were to sell it to us New Englanders we could have a great chance compared to other US cities, all of which who have considered a 2020 bid are small, would need vast improvements/upgrades in transporation as well as venues. Arguably Boston/MA/New England wouldn't have to spend all that much to update the city and region. All the stuff the IOC looks for already exists.

If Boston is competing with any cities for these games it will be an african city.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:09 PM

51 posts, read 78,312 times
I think Boston would be a great city to host a Summer Olympic in!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:36 PM

134 posts, read 601,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The problem with Dallas is Dallas. Why on earth would anyone want to go to a summer event in that oppressive heat?
They went to Hotlanta, didn't they?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:46 PM

86,996 posts, read 102,568,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Great contenders for...

Summer Olympics: Houston, Seattle, San Francisco, Washington, Boston, New York, Honolulu, Pittsburgh

Winter Olympics: Denver, Minneapolis/St. Paul, Anchorage, Pittsburgh
Denver was awarded the 1976 winter Olympics, then, led on by Colorado's own "Governor Moonbeam", had a state wide vote to turn them down. The IOC has taken a dim view of Denver as a venue ever since.

Colorado only state ever to turn down Olympics

Minneapolis does not have the skiing facilities.

Pittsburgh? I dunno. The skiing near there is not world class, February can be as warm as it is now in BC and just as rainy.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM

65 posts, read 221,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Denver was awarded the 1976 winter Olympics, then, led on by Colorado's own "Governor Moonbeam", had a state wide vote to turn them down. The IOC has taken a dim view of Denver as a venue ever since.

Colorado only state ever to turn down Olympics

Minneapolis does not have the skiing facilities.

Pittsburgh? I dunno. The skiing near there is not world class, February can be as warm as it is now in BC and just as rainy.
haha i agree. are you joking me? There is no way in heck minneapolis could ever host the Winter Olympics. For starters there is no reliable base of snow in the winter, and no real mountains. Pittsburgh wouldn't work either. I really cannot think of any midwestern city that can get the winter olympics. You need mountains

I think Seattle should try and host the winter olympics far in the future. It is close to some pretty good ski resorts that get a ton of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or