U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 AM

3,284 posts, read 2,889,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Be careful what you wish for.

The olympics are outdated. I feel that they foster unhealthy nationalism.

That, in addition to the fact that wE already won the cold war. I don't see any reason to care anymore with the soviets gone.
To be honest, I could give a damn less about the Olympics as well. I do, however, appreciate the economic boost teh respective city gains from all teh outside capital being poored into the city. Not just from other US cities, but from around the world. Can't beat that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 08:55 AM

5,850 posts, read 11,085,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Be careful what you wish for.
The olympics are outdated. I feel that they foster unhealthy nationalism.
That, in addition to the fact that wE already won the cold war. I don't see any reason to care anymore with the soviets gone.
The Olympics are still relevant. I like that they give exposure to the minor sports that are still amateur.

Most important Its amazing how a great performance by an athlete or a team can inspire a person or an entire nation to do the best they can.

But I have to admit it was a lot more fun when we had the East Germans, Soviets and the rest of the Soviet block cast as the bad guys.

Now you see athlete from across the world training together,

Old 02-16-2010, 10:14 AM

6,628 posts, read 12,572,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MilehiDenver View Post
Mark my words, Denver will host a Winter Olympics in the not to distant future. (2018 or 2022). Denver would be the largest city to EVER host a Winter Olympics just edging out Vancouver. We have most everything we need as far as facilities go, just need to upgrade the transportation method up I-70 to the resorts. Maglev or some sort of train has been mentioned.
Denver is definitely not getting them in 2018, but they're considering a bid for the 2022 games. However, I don't see how they would get them...it would mean that of 6 Winter Olympics, three of them would be located in Western North America...with two of them in the Western United States.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM

65 posts, read 222,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Denver is definitely not getting them in 2018, but they're considering a bid for the 2022 games. However, I don't see how they would get them...it would mean that of 6 Winter Olympics, three of them would be located in Western North America...with two of them in the Western United States.
Ok well where else in North America can host the Olympics? I can think of very few places east of the Mississippi that can host them that has a major city within throwing distance.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
Ok well where else in North America can host the Olympics? I can think of very few places east of the Mississippi that can host them that has a major city within throwing distance.
No ****, if not Denver, then a place much less deserving.

Old 02-16-2010, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,948 times
Do u think the IOC factors in crime rates?

Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 PM

87,203 posts, read 103,178,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massman97 View Post
Do u think the IOC factors in crime rates?
Obviously not. It gave the Olympics to Rio.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Obviously not. It gave the Olympics to Rio.
Yeah, no kidding. The murder capital of the world.

Old 02-17-2010, 08:03 AM

4 posts, read 3,948 times
true, that means Miami, Chicago, and LA can start thinking about an olympics lol

Old 02-17-2010, 10:20 AM

1,082 posts, read 2,503,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
It would have to be a similar configuration to Vancouver (indoor events in the host city, outdoor in a somewhat nearby mountain resort area), but it could be done in Boston. Ice events in the city itself, snow events in a location like Conway New Hampshire. Both locations have plenty of infrastructure for housing athletes and vacationers. Conway is a bit further from Boston than Whistler is from Vancouver, but not significantly, especially if a high speed rail line were built.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or