Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skifan77 View Post
Ok well where else in North America can host the Olympics? I can think of very few places east of the Mississippi that can host them that has a major city within throwing distance.
Summer Olympics in Boston or Minneapolis. I think we've seen the last of the Winter Olympics in NA for awhile. Maybe we could see some Winter Olympics in South America or Africa? That would be cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 06:13 PM

4 posts, read 4,367 times
Boston would be a great host city for the Summer Olympics not to sure about winter olympics though.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:43 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Minneapolis, which is both east and west of the Mississppi, would be a great place for the summer Olympics.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,517,756 times
When someone mentioned the Olympics in Texas, any games would be held in May most likely due to heat and hurricane season which would rule out early fall. The biggest flaw right now is that internationally Texas represents the worst aspects of the US. I think the idea of "foreigners view Americans the same way Americans view Texans" is something that really dominated the last decade so we'll see how it plays out over time. *note, this concept isn't just American, just substitute American and Texan for French and Parisian*

Old 02-17-2010, 10:11 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,581,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
When someone mentioned the Olympics in Texas, any games would be held in May most likely due to heat and hurricane season which would rule out early fall. The biggest flaw right now is that internationally Texas represents the worst aspects of the US. I think the idea of "foreigners view Americans the same way Americans view Texans" is something that really dominated the last decade so we'll see how it plays out over time. *note, this concept isn't just American, just substitute American and Texan for French and Parisian*
But Rio is viewed as a violent, drug capital and numerous amounts of people stereotype Brazil as nothing but favelas, yet it is hosting the future Olympics(and it's hot and humid there you bet). China is seen as a cruel nation, yet Beijing hosted it. I don't think these are necessarily the best excuses, despite the fact that people will keep bringing it up. And didn't Atlanta host it before? Doesn't it get hot there? It was hot there when I visited. Do you all think Miami would be good for Olympics? It gets pretty steamy there and is directly in the path of hurricanes. Wasn't the temperatures at the Olympics in Athens staggering?

All I'm saying is that one person can come up with a million reasons as to why someone or somewhere won't get something. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.

Last edited by Lovely95; 02-17-2010 at 10:36 PM..

Old 02-17-2010, 10:35 PM

3,284 posts, read 3,525,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
I'm glad we care so much about what everyone thinks...

I'd love to be represented by Texas over all the broke ass states on the coasts.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:54 AM

103 posts, read 207,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
But Rio is viewed as a violent, drug capital and numerous amounts of people stereotype Brazil as nothing but favelas, yet it is hosting the future Olympics(and it's hot and humid there you bet). China is seen as a cruel nation, yet Beijing hosted it. I don't think these are necessarily the best excuses, despite the fact that people will keep bringing it up. And didn't Atlanta host it before? Doesn't it get hot there? It was hot there when I visited. Do you all think Miami would be good for Olympics? It gets pretty steamy there and is directly in the path of hurricanes. Wasn't the temperatures at the Olympics in Athens staggering?

All I'm saying is that one person can come up with a million reasons as to why someone or somewhere won't get something. Doesn't mean it can't happen though.
Rio got the Olympics because South America has never had one (which Rio pointed out over and over again) and Brazil is becoming a major economy that's remained stable during the economic downturn. Beijing got it because China is a new superpower and has never hosted the games.

The only city in Texas that has a shot at the Games is Houston. It's a fairly cosmopolitan city, important economically, leader in energy, biomedical, aeronautical, strong economy during economic downturn. Houston has an opportunity to become a world class city.

Dallas is a regional city.

I've heard Seattle and Vancouver are considering a joint bid for 2028. Joint bids aren't allowed but that may change.

Old 02-18-2010, 10:20 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Houston and Miami are the only Southern Cities with even a remote chance.
2020 games will probably go to South Africa, maybe Egypt.

Next rotation for a North America won't be until 2024. I can't imagine Houston being up to par by then.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I like the DC area for a SUMMER Olympic venue.

Between Baltimore and DC, there are FIVE major stadiums:
- Redskins / FEDEX Field seats 91,000, it's huge.
- Washington National's baseball stadium
- Baltimore Orioles / Camden Park
- Baltimore Ravens stadium
- Univ of MD at College Park

Several lesser stadiums in the area, plus major professional and college arena's for basketball, etc.

Lots of field houses and track and field sites.

Potomac River already has rowing events in the Georgetown area.

DC is home to at least one major marathon each year (the USMC Marathon) with a scenic and roomy route.

No doubt the area could pull it off. There are several major airports: Dulles, BWI, Reagan National Airport and do NOT forget Andrews AFB which is huge. Major AMTRAK service at Union Station. MARC and VRE commuter rail. Major subway system. Cruise ships could even dock in Baltimore. Umpteen thousand of hotel rooms, major media support, significant police and security presence. National Guard security forces can work out of and be housed at nearby Fort Meade, MD, Fort Belvoir, MD or Fort McNair in DC; there are other military bases nearby too (Bolling AFB, Navy Yard, etc). Seems like the area already has the bulk of the facilities and services that are needed; not a lot of new buildings would be needed.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:41 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I like the DC area for a SUMMER Olympic venue.

Between Baltimore and DC, there are FIVE major stadiums:
- Redskins / FEDEX Field seats 91,000, it's huge.
- Washington National's baseball stadium
- Baltimore Orioles / Camden Park
- Baltimore Ravens stadium
- Univ of MD at College Park

Several lesser stadiums in the area, plus major professional and college arena's for basketball, etc.

Lots of field houses and track and field sites.

Potomac River already has rowing events in the Georgetown area.

DC is home to at least one major marathon each year (the USMC Marathon) with a scenic and roomy route.

No doubt the area could pull it off. There are several major airports: Dulles, BWI, Reagan National Airport and do NOT forget Andrews AFB which is huge. Major AMTRAK service at Union Station. MARC and VRE commuter rail. Major subway system. Cruise ships could even dock in Baltimore. Umpteen thousand of hotel rooms, major media support, significant police and security presence. National Guard security forces can work out of and be housed at nearby Fort Meade, MD, Fort Belvoir, MD or Fort McNair in DC; there are other military bases nearby too (Bolling AFB, Navy Yard, etc). Seems like the area already has the bulk of the facilities and services that are needed; not a lot of new buildings would be needed.
Rowing would be at Occoquan. Other than that I think DC would be a great city to host an Olympics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.