U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 04:02 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,988,881 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodyap View Post
Rio got the Olympics because South America has never had one (which Rio pointed out over and over again) and Brazil is becoming a major economy that's remained stable during the economic downturn. Beijing got it because China is a new superpower and has never hosted the games.

The only city in Texas that has a shot at the Games is Houston. It's a fairly cosmopolitan city, important economically, leader in energy, biomedical, aeronautical, strong economy during economic downturn. Houston has an opportunity to become a world class city.

Dallas is a regional city.

I've heard Seattle and Vancouver are considering a joint bid for 2028. Joint bids aren't allowed but that may change.
Yes those are good reasons as to why those cities have gotten it. That wasn't my point. The poster was talking about reputation and I was stating that you can go on about reputation since those cities have their own stereotypes as well, but that doesn't mean anything obviously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 06:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
I'm currently in Lake Placid playing Ice hockey in the Empire state games. It's really nice here in the winter, and perfect for winter olympics. I wish they could host the olympics again, but they've already had them twice. It's like a different country here; it almost feels like you're in some snowy german town in the mountains with the way the buildings look. People ice skating outside, carrying skis, it's pretty cool.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:00 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,021,296 times
Lake Placid is awesome. Even in the summer.

Its a little bit of a time warp though. May of the locals are still living in 1980

(how many 1990 Olympic Volunteer or staff jackets have you seen?)

Old 02-19-2010, 07:08 PM

8,900 posts, read 13,240,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Lake Placid is awesome. Even in the summer.

Its a little bit of a time warp though. May of the locals are still living in 1980

(how many 1990 Olympic Volunteer or staff jackets have you seen?)

Haha, I don't know; I've only been here a day so far. I've also been sick, so I haven't been paying attention to much of anything lately, lol.

But yeah, it does seem like a time warp. It feels like the past. There's a Howard Johnson restaurant here, which has been non-existent for like 20 years back home on the island, lol. And for most of the country. It's pretty up here though--tons of the buildings are built like log cabins. It's a very picturesque town to host the olympics. It's also cool playing in the same ice rink as the Miracle 1980 team

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM

not to many amateur athletes get the chance to compete in/on Historic or Olympic venues.
I was lucky since I rowed in Poughkeepsie (the historic IRA regatta) and then rowed in Long Beach, CA (1932 Olympics) I need to get to Lake Lanier in GA (the Casitas Course -1984- isn't exactly rowing friendly these days)

Old 02-20-2010, 09:10 AM

1,588 posts, read 3,562,745 times
IMO, Minneapolis - St. Paul would be a great choice for the Olympics. The Twin Cities has already been a serious contender five times, finishing runner-up to Helsinki in 1952 and Atlanta in 1996.

Here are some reasons why I think the MPLS. - STPL. could host the Olympics:

* There is more than enough corporate presence in the TC area and outstate MN (i.e. Cargill, Target, 3M, Best Buy, US Bank, Mayo Clinic, etc...) to persuade the Olympic Committee that the area would be a great host for Summer Olympics.

* The TCF Stadium, which was designed to seat 80,000 people, would serve as the Olympic Stadium in Minneapolis's bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. That is, unless the Vikings have their stadium built by then, which would be only 1.25 miles from TCF Stadium.

* There are now seven stadiums / arenas within a 3 mile span; Target Field, Target Center, Metrodome, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Ridder Arena, and TCF Bank Stadium. The Twin Cities also has the largest world's largest amateur sports facilities in the world in Blaine (National Sports Center), which could be updated for the Olympics.

* By 2020, Minneapolis - St. Paul will have light-rail service connecting the two downtown areas with stops near each stadium. There is also commuter rail (Northstar) available and descent infrastructure already in place.

Obviously the Twin Cities would need more facilities and infrastructure, but I think the area could handle the Olympics successfully.

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles/71641/projects/184037/716411234759338.png (broken link)

http://behance.vo.llnwd.net/profiles/71641/projects/184037/716411234759330.png (broken link)

Last edited by BlackOut; 02-20-2010 at 09:29 AM..

Old 02-20-2010, 10:21 AM

I don't see it happening in Minneapolis, But to its credit, the city does have a pretty good national reputation.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:11 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,060,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Summer Olympics in Boston or Minneapolis. I think we've seen the last of the Winter Olympics in NA for awhile. Maybe we could see some Winter Olympics in South America or Africa? That would be cool!
Where in Africa would they hold it at? South America wouldn't be bad but it would have to be in Chile or Equador.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Where in Africa would they hold it at? South America wouldn't be bad but it would have to be in Chile or Equador.
South Africa has the best chance. Cairo, Eqypt would be a distant choice.

The seem like the only countries stable enough to even put together a bid.

South America as already won the 2016 games. Rio de Janeiro , Brazil

Old 02-21-2010, 09:11 AM

7,848 posts, read 18,271,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
South Africa has the best chance. Cairo, Eqypt would be a distant choice.

The seem like the only countries stable enough to even put together a bid.

South America as already won the 2016 games. Rio de Janeiro , Brazil
South Africa is way too violent right now to be considered an Olympic host country. It has cleaned up some for the World Cup, but it's still not ready for the Olympics.

And before it comes up, Rio isn't half as crime-ridden as Johannesburg...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or