U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2012, 03:50 AM

2,317 posts, read 6,891,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykomonkee View Post
My choices for best cities to host the Olympics in the future:

#3 - Seattle, WA. Too beautiful to be overlooked. There are 3 concerns with games in Seattle though. 1, Would Seattle be (after witnessing the Atlanta Olympic games) ready to handle such a huge crowd? 2, will events have to be indoors due to the frequent rain in August? And lastly, when has Seattle ever seen a crowd that large? Will it be able to handle it? But definitely a GREAT location.
Let me address your concerns:
1. I'm not sure if Seattle could handle all the people today, but in a decade or so? Definitely. The SR-99 tunnel project will be done, the Mercer mess will be over, and LINK will be extended to the Eastside and North End suburbs, more streetcars will be up and running, and who knows what else.
2. It doesn't rain here in August. That's the high point in our dry season.
3. Seattle has not seen a crowd that large since... Oh, maybe the Century 21 Exposition? A.k.a. the 1962 Seattle World's Fair. See number 1.

That said, Seattle and Vancouver were considering a joint bid for the 2028 summer games. I'm not sure if that is still something that is seriously being given any thought.

Honestly, I think Seattle should go it alone. It'd be a great host city, and Vancouver already hosted the winter games pretty recently, so I don't think they'd get it again in such a short span of time. And Vancouver would probably steal the show from Seattle anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 04:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,582 times
New Orleans can host the 2024 or 2028 Olympics if and only if it can be recognized as the Gulf Coast. This area should be all areas within 100 mile radius of New Orleans. This market includes Baton Rouge, Gulfport MS. The population exceeds 3 million and close neighboring close to Jackson, MS, Mobile AL, and Lafayette.

Doing this can bring much needed attention to an area that can use a boost.
Within the area are stadiums large enough to host the game such as the new TIGER STADIUM with a capacity of over 98k. Baton Rouge should have completed an expansion of I-10 and it should be 3 lanes from Baton Rouge to Gulfport to include N.O. The Huey P Long bride will be completed having access to a newly completed I-49 serving the west bank and Acadia.

The infrastructure should be in place the city needs to take cooperation serious to compete even for future super bowls.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:12 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,976,577 times
For the summer--> Chicago is a logical choice because it already has a lot of infrastructure to host the Olympics, but I wouldn't mind seeing Miami put a bid in. Florida is already huge with foreigners, so that is a huge plus.

Winter--> Denver and Lake Tahoe are obvious choices...I think Portland would be an interesting location.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 AM

14,800 posts, read 17,729,874 times
I'd love to see 2024 go to Toronto but my pick for a city in the states would be Washington-Baltimore
For Winter: Somewhere in New England would be nice

Old 08-13-2012, 01:20 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,340,136 times
Yes I do think Reno/Lake Tahoe would be great for the Winter Olympics though I'm sure if they have the venues for hockey or ice skating. It will be beautiful to have them around Lake Tahoe which also has lots of skiing in the area, though that is very close to Salt Lake City which already had them.

Colorado would be great. THey can do hockey and the other indoor events in Colorado Springs (where the U.S. Olympic training center is based) or Denver with the skiing events in Aspen, Breckenridge, or Vail. I'm actually surprised Colorado hasn't hosted the Winter olympics before. For other winter cities, I think perhaps they can potentially do Pittsburgh with skiing in nearby parts of Pennsylvania and also West Virginia. Lake Placid in the Appalachians did hold them twice so it doesn't have to be towering mountains like Utah's.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeburgSavage View Post
New Orleans can host the 2024 or 2028 Olympics if and only if it can be recognized as the Gulf Coast. This area should be all areas within 100 mile radius of New Orleans. This market includes Baton Rouge, Gulfport MS. The population exceeds 3 million and close neighboring close to Jackson, MS, Mobile AL, and Lafayette.

Doing this can bring much needed attention to an area that can use a boost.
Within the area are stadiums large enough to host the game such as the new TIGER STADIUM with a capacity of over 98k. Baton Rouge should have completed an expansion of I-10 and it should be 3 lanes from Baton Rouge to Gulfport to include N.O. The Huey P Long bride will be completed having access to a newly completed I-49 serving the west bank and Acadia.

The infrastructure should be in place the city needs to take cooperation serious to compete even for future super bowls.
Once the officials see the climatology stats for NOLA in the summer, especially humidity levels, you can forget it.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Many Olympics have been held in September or October. So Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Phoenix can all be potential host cities despite the weather. They did even have the games in Atlanta at the middle of the summer. Even Washington DC is very hot and humid in the summer, and wasn't Beijing very hot too?

Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 PM

I think Seattle is more suited to the winter games, which Vancouver has already had. If Vancouver gets the summer games one day, that will make them the only city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,437,766 times
I'd be weary of hosting a Summer Olympics in a city like Miami or NOLA due to the potential threat of hurricanes at the height of hurricane season.

Lake Tahoe would be cool for a winter games again but it's already pretty congested during winter so they would need a good transportation plan in place. With Reno so close there are also lots of hotel rooms available.

Old 08-13-2012, 03:24 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,437,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I think Seattle is more suited to the winter games, which Vancouver has already had. If Vancouver gets the summer games one day, that will make them the only city to host both the summer and winter Olympics.
I thought Vancouver was a pretty bad choice for the Winter Olympics due to the fact that it's not really that cold nor does it snow much. Seattle would be even worse seeing as it's farther south and there isn't as ski resort close to the city like Grouse Mountain is to Vancouver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or