Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:28 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times

Advertisements

A New York City Olympics would be nothing short of stunning. I don't think Austin should or could host because to be honest it's not known the world over like most Olympic cities tend to be. The exception would be Atlanta. It may not seem fair that not every American city be given the chance but us Americans need to view our cities from a world perspective. With that only NYC, Los Angeles and Chicago would be the most likely to host. SF would be cool but anybody who knows the Bay Area knows that those people would rather spend their time hating on each other than putting together a decent bid Chicago and NYC are both sorely deserving and Los Angeles just knocks it out of the park every time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM

198 posts, read 444,473 times
If NY held the Olympics, where would they be? In London, they bulldozed some lower income areas in the Eastern part of the city to build the stadiums. That's easier to do in a country like England than in America, where Parliament is supreme and all that. Also, poor ghetto areas in Europe aren't nearly as scary as the poor ghetto areas in America. Meaning, that if they chose to hold those Olympics in NYC, they would probably be in the Bronx in the middle of some former ghetto, which would still be surrounded by miles of very scary current ghettos. I'm not sure how well that would go down.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,120,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
IOC; "Who wants to host the 1976 Olympics?"

Denver; "We do! We Do!"

IOC; "We award the 1976 Olympics to Denver"

Colorado; "Never mind, we don't want them"

IOC; "Who wants to host the 2022 Olympics?"

Denver; "We do! We do!"

IOC; "Anybody else want to host the 2022 Olympics?"

Denver; "Hello...., anybody out there? Hello?"

IOC; <crickets>
This is what has kept Denver from bidding until now. The difference between now and then is the fact that the infrastructure that Denver didn't have in 1976 and needed to build then with public money, have been built over the past 36 years.

Additionally, the city has created one of the most extensive Light Rail systems in the country to facilitate movement in and around the city. There are light rail stops downtown, at Sports Authority Field, the Pepsi Center, and Magness Arena as well as the the hotel concentrations in Downtown Denver and the Denver Tech Center. Additional light rail lines and stops are under construction for the First Data Center, hotel concentration at Denver West, and the airport (which is the country's newest, most efficient, and visually stunning airport),

The downtown area has a mile-long pedestrian mall with free shuttles (it did not exist in 1976) which facilitates movement and can serve as a gathering place for spectators and athletes.

The downside is the fact that the ski resorts are about 75 minutes outside of town and the interstate would need upgrading. However, the resorts are some of the most famous and well-regarded ski mountains in the world.

Denver and Colorado have gained a lot of experience in hosting big and high-profile events, including: The Democratic National Convention, the Winter x-Games, and several World Cup ski events.

Denver needs to hope that the IOC can forgive Denver's earlier transgression from a generation earlier.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:38 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus of Board View Post
If NY held the Olympics, where would they be? In London, they bulldozed some lower income areas in the Eastern part of the city to build the stadiums. That's easier to do in a country like England than in America, where Parliament is supreme and all that. Also, poor ghetto areas in Europe aren't nearly as scary as the poor ghetto areas in America. Meaning, that if they chose to hold those Olympics in NYC, they would probably be in the Bronx in the middle of some former ghetto, which would still be surrounded by miles of very scary current ghettos. I'm not sure how well that would go down.
Well, I don't think it would be as hard as you put it. NYC has a lot of venues close by. Indoor events could be held between MSG and where ever the Nets new place will be. You will have the Meadowlands not to far away, cycling can be done through the streets of Manhattan (that would be cool). So there are venues already in place, they will need to build an Olympic Village and maybe have a space for some of the other events that require the room for it. But really, it is pretty achievable if you ask me.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:11 PM

1,985 posts, read 3,317,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
Well, I don't think it would be as hard as you put it. NYC has a lot of venues close by. Indoor events could be held between MSG and where ever the Nets new place will be. You will have the Meadowlands not to far away, cycling can be done through the streets of Manhattan (that would be cool). So there are venues already in place, they will need to build an Olympic Village and maybe have a space for some of the other events that require the room for it. But really, it is pretty achievable if you ask me.
They could build it right across the Hudson in Jersey or something.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:34 AM

20,514 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I never said that regarding Atlanta.
I never said that you said it. I was speaking in terms to what tom77falcons said.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:44 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
I'm going to go with my homecity of Phoenix! Lets see a marathon through downtown phx at 115 degrees. The Norweigan delegation won't make it, haha

Old 08-15-2012, 04:41 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,862,857 times
I don't see how anything could go wrong with a Minneapolis-St. Paul Olympics (other than the fact that it would have to be both cities). We have plenty of already existing or approved stadiums and venues, all we would have to do is renovate, we would have all the necessary transit, since there are 3 more light rail lines and 2 more BRT lines proposede or approved or under construction already, all that would be ready by 2020. We are a big economic center, plenty of fortune 500 and global 500 companies. Downtown East near the Vikings/Olympic Stadium would be perfect for new venues or the Olympic Village, since there is plenty of open space. St. Paul has plenty of space fot venues also. The weather wouldn't be as hot as anywhere in the south, the airport is rated as one of the best in the country, our downtowns are both big and visually apealing, both have enough culutre and history to host the Olympics, just maybe not the 2020. 2024 could work better. Either way, a Minneapolis- St. Paul Summer Olympics would be a success.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:21 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,908,718 times
let him vent they really need to get that off there chest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Why are you telling me this?

Old 08-16-2012, 09:40 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
A New York City Olympics would be nothing short of stunning.
Quite the contrary; a New York City Olympics would be nothing short of a disaster (and I'm speaking about the city, not the pretty pictures you'd see on TV).

For one thing, half the venues don't exist here; they'd have to be constructed. And that means finding space to build a lot of things that are only going to be used for a week and a half. If there's one thing this city doesn't need, it's an Olympic debt. For another, New Yorkers don't need to deal with the security problems that go along with any Olympic city.

Anyone in NYC government who thinks about bidding for an Olympic Games should not be voted out of office--they should be impeached.

Throw a dart at a map. Wherever it lands, that city can have the Olympics. Please, please, please keep them as far from New York City as possible!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.