U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Only to certain people is Houston "extremely" hot. Austin is the worst place you could think of for hosting the Olympics.
Talk about a disorganized city! Every thing would probably still under construction during the Olympics. lol!

Absolutely beautiful area though. If the city could handle it (which I doubt they could and I think Austin knows that) it would be a great location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Funky Town, Texas
4,136 posts, read 7,192,642 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
This has got to be a joke. Dallas is oppressively hot in the summertime. Do you want all the athletes to pass out from heat exhaustion?

Not to mention the lack of scenery in the area...
Go eat some Oatmeal ...Notorious Dallas Hater....Dallas would be a great place to host the Olympics. Like the previous poster stated Dallas already has enough stadiums to host such big events.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:26 PM
 
Location: Underneath the Pecan Tree
15,989 posts, read 30,683,987 times
Reputation: 7281
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Talk about a disorganized city! Every thing would probably still under construction during the Olympics. lol!

Absolutely beautiful area though. If the city could handle it (which I doubt they could and I think Austin knows that) it would be a great location.
Agreed. However, at this point. Austin has no business trying to run for the Olympics lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Agreed. However, at this point. Austin has no business trying to run for the Olympics lol
I don't think they will. Sometimes it seems like the people running that town don't even realize Austin is growing. lol! I don't see Austin having any desire to become a huge international city like Atlanta did when they bid for the Olympics. I could see San Antonio bidding but I don't think they will get very far.

As for cities out side of Texas, I disagree about Boston. I think they have a really good shot. And what about DC?

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-12-2009 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:36 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Go eat some Oatmeal ...Notorious Dallas Hater....Dallas would be a great place to host the Olympics. Like the previous poster stated Dallas already has enough stadiums to host such big events.
That was actually a HUGE reason as to why the Houston bid went so far as a potential host city for the IOC is because many of their stadiums and arenas that would be used where already built.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-12-2009 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:37 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,273,490 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
I don't think they will. Sometimes it seems like the people running the city don't even realize the city is growing lol! I don't see the city having any desire to become a huge international city like Atlanta did when they bid for the Olympics. I could see San Antonio bidding but I don't think they will get very far.

As for cities out side of Texas, I disagree about Boston. I think they have a really good shot. And what about DC?
So many other world capitals have hosted the Olympics...I agree, it's D.C.'s turn. The city has most everything the IOC looks for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So many other world capitals have hosted the Olympics...I agree, it's D.C.'s turn. The city has most everything the IOC looks for.
Agreed. I would like to see them put together a bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: At your mama's house
966 posts, read 1,608,690 times
Reputation: 1141
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdogg817 View Post
Go eat some Oatmeal ...Notorious Dallas Hater....Dallas would be a great place to host the Olympics. Like the previous poster stated Dallas already has enough stadiums to host such big events.
Whatever. I wasn't crazy about Dallas when I lived there, but that has nothing to do with why I think Dallas isn't the best place to hold the Olympics. It's not the worst, but I can think of other cities that I feel would be better host cities. There are more factors than "already having stadiums" when it comes to hosting an event of this magnitude. The OP wanted an opinion and I gave one. Sorry it doesn't fit in a myopic worldview.

Are the Dallasites on this board that oblivious as to actually how HOT the city is in the summer?or do they seem to think that it's no hotter than San Diego in the summertime? Or the serious lack of natural scenery? I wouldn't want the Olympics in Miami due to the heat and humidity either (not to mention the risk of a hurricane or the rampant corruption down there). And while there are nice parts of the city, there is very little in the Metroplex that would make it distiguishable or iconic. Sorry.

I live in the DC area now and I think it would be a great place to host. It is the nations capital after all. BUT DC can get hot and humid in aaugust, and there are logistical issues that would have to be worked out. They could host it in August, when congress is out of session, but that is the most Oppressive time of the year in terms of heat and humidity. But sailing events on the Chesapeake, equestrian events can be held in Virginia, there are stadiums that are here already. FedEx field is relatively new, but having an Olympic Stadium somewhere between DC and Baltimore would be cool. Or tear down RFK and have a new Stadium there.

Last edited by Overcooked_Oatmeal; 11-12-2009 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,372 posts, read 55,173,351 times
Reputation: 15448
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
So many other world capitals have hosted the Olympics...I agree, it's D.C.'s turn. The city has most everything the IOC looks for.
Except the IOC probably won't vote for DC the same way they didnt vote for NYC or Chicago.

Too "American".

I say the least typically American the better. At least for now. Which is sorta why I thought about Honolulu. Maybe Miami. Heck SF seems anti-american to many foreigners.

But then you never know. I just am very cynical of a bunch of foreigners, many of whom are from developing countries whose people feel they were wronged by the US in the past. I think they deliberately vote against the US because they hate us.

OTOH, Salt Lake had that bribery case and Atlanta came off as a commercial enterprise. Maybe they think we're too scandalous? LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads
Europeans. The IOC is based out of Copenhagen after all.
No, they just had a meeting there.

The IOC is based in Switzerland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-12-2009, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Houston
2,026 posts, read 3,675,924 times
Reputation: 466
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Are the Dallasites on this board that oblivious as to actually how HOT the city is in the summer?or do they seem to think that it's no hotter than San Diego in the summertime? Or the serious lack of natural scenery? I wouldn't want the Olympics in Miami due to the heat and humidity either (not to mention the risk of a hurricane or the rampant corruption down there). And while there are nice parts of the city, there is very little in the Metroplex that would make it distiguishable or iconic. Sorry.

I live in the DC area now and I think it would be a great place to host. It is the nations capital after all. BUT DC can get hot and humid in aaugust, and there are logistical issues that would have to be worked out. They could host it in August, when congress is out of session, but that is the most Oppressive time of the year in terms of heat and humidity. But sailing events on the Chesapeake, equestrian events can be held in Virginia, there are stadiums that are here already. FedEx field is relatively new, but having an Olympic Stadium somewhere between DC and Baltimore would be cool. Or tear down RFK and have a new Stadium there.
Maybe on Dallas in particular, but Texas and Texas culture is very iconic. You've got to admit that.

I've been to DC and it is an beautiful city. Do you think the city government could handle it? I don't really know much about the city government in Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top