Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2009, 07:38 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times

Advertisements

Considering the next round of cities that are said to be considering a bid for the summer games does NOT include Dallas, why don't we instead focus on this list of cities:

Birmingham
Boston
Houston
Minneapolis
Tulsa

As of now, no other U.S. city plans to try landing the 2020 games. As these seem to be the most likely candidates for a US bid in 2020, why not discuss them instead of Dallas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 07:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
I can't imagine Birmingham winning it. A city of what, half a million?

I would say Boston might be in with a chance. Houston and Minneapolis not far behind, while Tulsa is unlikely.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:46 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Considering the next round of cities that are said to be considering a bid for the summer games does NOT include Dallas, why don't we instead focus on this list of cities:

Birmingham
Boston
Houston
Minneapolis
Tulsa

As of now, no other U.S. city plans to try landing the 2020 games. As these seem to be the most likely candidates for a US bid in 2020, why not discuss them instead of Dallas?
Great idea.

Birmingham is too close to Atlanta, I doubt it would be a potential candidate. Tulsa? BWAH!

Boston, Houston and Minneapolis would have the most potential out of this list.

I can imagine that Boston would be a logistical and NIMBY nightmare to get the Olympics there. They have a leaky tunnel that still needs to be paid off, right? Someone did show a site in South Boston that would be great to host the event.

Houston - They had a very organized campaign for the 2012 Olympics, but they have the heat and scenery issue like Dallas plus the stifling humidity. I guess it could be moved to September, but Houston is still a tossup. They do have the advantage of having a lot of facilities, but its going to take a massive overhaul of infrastructure in order to pull it off there. I will say that Dallas and Houston have a "just get it built" mentality that is good for these types of massive events, which will work in its favor. Just make sure the dignitaries are driven down the Hardy Toll Road instead of I-45 from IAH,

Someone made a very compelling argument for Minneapolis earlier in this thread, and I think it would be a nice city to host the event:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Minneapolis - St. Paul are exploring a bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. MPLS. - STPL. has finished second in the bidding process twice; to Helsinki in 1956 and to Atlanta in 1996. The area had also bid in 1932, 1948, and 1956. TCF Stadium, which was designed to seat 80,000 people, will serve as the Olympic Stadium in Minneapolis's bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics. That is, unless the Vikings have their stadium built by then, which would be only 1.25 miles from TCF Stadium.

There are now seven stadiums / arenas within a 3 mile span; Target Field, Target Center, Metrodome, Williams Arena, Mariucci Arena, Ridder Arena, and TCF Bank Stadium. The Twin Cities also has the largest world's largest amateur sports facilities in the world in Blaine (National Sports Center), which could be updated for the Olympics.

I still struggle with the question of whether or not the Olympics are worth hosting.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:48 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,185,234 times
Seriously I'm sorry I brought up Dallas! If I would have known it would cause a 10 page controversy I wouldn't have brought it up. It's still early, so there is always the potential cities like Chicago, DC, San Francisco, LA, Honolulu, and Dallas to bid.

Do you have a link for Houston? That is news to me. I'm sure they will put something together but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I know their bidding of the 2020 World Expo.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 AM

965 posts, read 1,884,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Seriously I'm sorry I brought up Dallas! I would have known it would cause a 10 page controversy I wouldn't have brought it up. It's still early, so there is always the potential cities like Chicago, DC, San Francisco, LA, Honolulu, and Dallas to bid.

Do you have a link for Houston? That is news to me. I'm sure they will put something together but I haven't heard anything about it yet. I know their bidding of the 2020 World Expo.

You have absolutely nothing to apologize for! You had an opinion, you gave it, I had an opinion, I gave mine.

It's Friday, let's chill and have some margarita's, shall we?

Old 11-13-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
You have absolutely nothing to apologize for! You had an opinion, you gave it, I had an opinion, I gave mine.

It's Friday, let's chill and have some margarita's, shall we?
Oh it's cool! I was referring more to people who keep complaining about us talking about Dallas than the people who disagreed with me. Everyone has their opinion and it's fine with me.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Great idea.

Birmingham is too close to Atlanta, I doubt it would be a potential candidate. Tulsa? BWAH!

Boston, Houston and Minneapolis would have the most potential out of this list.

I can imagine that Boston would be a logistical and NIMBY nightmare to get the Olympics there. They have a leaky tunnel that still needs to be paid off, right? Someone did show a site in South Boston that would be great to host the event.

Houston - They had a very organized campaign for the 2012 Olympics, but they have the heat and scenery issue like Dallas plus the stifling humidity. I guess it could be moved to September, but Houston is still a tossup. They do have the advantage of having a lot of facilities, but its going to take a massive overhaul of infrastructure in order to pull it off there. I will say that Dallas and Houston have a "just get it built" mentality that is good for these types of massive events, which will work in its favor. Just make sure the dignitaries are driven down the Hardy Toll Road instead of I-45 from IAH,

Someone made a very compelling argument for Minneapolis earlier in this thread, and I think it would be a nice city to host the event:

It seems like Tulsa is putting together a good campaign but I think their looking for a miracle and the same with Birmingham.

The Boston's reputation for their roads was one of my first thoughts when the city was mentioned. If they could work around the logistics, then I think the city could put together a great Olympics.

As for Houston, I think logistically they would the best city of the ones mentioned. Granted, there are some very ugly parts of Houston no doubt but their are also some scenic parts. I think the city is big enough to where they could work around the ugly parts and just make sure the games are held where their is a bit of scenery. I'm sure Beijing had to do the same thing and several other as well. Probably uptown, the Rice Village, Montrose/Westheimer (although they would have to do some serious work on the sidewalk), downtown, Galveston, and the pine woods in north Houston would be ideal. There is no way they would have and kind of event in places like Passadena or Texas City. And, as I said before, they could export some events to more scenic places in Texas like Austin. The outdoor water events or cycling would be great in Austin. The theme (which it seems like the IOC loves themes) would probably something centered around alternative/renewable energy and climate change.

I do like the Minneapolis idea. I've never been there but it seems like beautiful town and I'm sure the summers are very nice.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-13-2009 at 09:49 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 09:43 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
Quote:
The Boston's reputation for their roads was one of my first thoughts when the city was mentioned. If they could work around the logistics, then I think the city could put together a great Olympics.
I think it's possible to work around not being on a grid-system. London doesn't have a grid system. Athens has a semi-grid but from the satellite looks like it is a model of choas. The biggest thing working in Boston's favor is that our mass-transit system absolutely mops the floor with every other (US) city mentioned.

Here's a map of a proposed expansion of the T. This thing is a complete pipe dream, and I'm not saying we'd be able to accomplish anything like this by 2020. However I think we could possibly build parts of this dream.

(Amazing, right?)

The eastern part of the Silver Line would be the area which would hold the Olympic Village, so that would be the best place to focus development. The line is actually already partially built, but doesn't have the line going South from Harbor Lights which later forms a line going from City Point to Andrew. The line is currently buses on electric lines, but should be converted to light rail for the Olympics. I think building this, and possibly expanding/improving other lines would provide more than sufficient transportation for the city.

Remember, Boston being a massive college town means we've got many athletic facilities spread all around the city. Schools with facilities that could be used for events: Harvard, MIT, Boston University, Boston College, and Northeastern University. All are located on different T lines.

Quote:
I do like the Minneapolis idea. I've never been there but it seems like beautiful town and I'm sure the summers are very nice.
I agree, Minneapolis could be an awesome place to host the olympics.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Seriously I'm sorry I brought up Dallas! If I would have known it would cause a 10 page controversy I wouldn't have brought it up. It's still early, so there is always the potential cities like Chicago, DC, San Francisco, LA, Honolulu, and Dallas to bid.

Yeah; I wasn't aware Houston was trying to get the Olympics again. The city is more concentrated on pulling in the 2020 Expo.

This whole heat thing is only a problem for some people; some people can deal with it. Athletics are use to enduring these types of climates and train themselves to deal with. Only people who hate heat will cry and complain about it. Yes Houston is hot, but not to the point where all the athletes will drop dead and the Olympics will be ruined.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Houston would be a great city to host it, however I will feel super sorry for the athletes who have to do the Olympics in Houston. Can you imagine running sprints and long distance in the hot and humind Houston summer heat!

Im a runner myself and a year or so ago I went to Houston to visit my dad. Normally in LA, I run about 3 miles every other day. In Houston, I could barely finish a mile and a half before I was so winded, I almost fainted. That hot humidity is hell to run in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.