Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2009, 09:48 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Honestly, if they do bring an Olympics to Houston or Dallas, I think the outdoor water events should be in Austin.
Why would you want to do that?

Lake Travis is way too prone to level changes in a drought (like this past summer when it was totally dried up in many places.)

Houston has plenty of great water-centered areas. Clear Lake/Bay Area would be perfect for this. Houston already ranks something like 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats.

There's also Lake Houston, which is a beautiful area with all the tall pine trees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcooked_Oatmeal View Post
Houston - They had a very organized campaign for the 2012 Olympics, but they have the heat and scenery issue like Dallas plus the stifling humidity.
Just my opinion, but I think Houston has less of a "scenery issue" than Dallas. It's generally got more trees and greenery for one thing, in addition to having the coastal and bay areas.

They're in two totally different areas of the state.

Quote:
And, as I said before, they could export some events to more scenic places in Texas like Austin. The outdoor water events or cycling would be great in Austin. The theme (which it seems like the IOC loves themes) would probably something centered around alternative/renewable energy and climate change.
And like I said before, there is absolutely no reason why you'd need to export some of the events. An alternative/renewable energy or green theme? Great! No need to drive to Austin. Green Houston. Houston is already an energy capital (and what I hear, working on alternative energy as well), and ranks surprisingly high on green building lists (including this recent one) EPA: Houston ranks #1 in Energy Star Homes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:11 AM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Why would you want to do that?

Lake Travis is way too prone to level changes in a drought (like this past summer when it was totally dried up in many places.)

Houston has plenty of great water-centered areas. Clear Lake/Bay Area would be perfect for this. Houston already ranks something like 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats.

There's also Lake Houston, which is a beautiful area with all the tall pine trees.
I'm very well aware of Lake Houston. It's a beautiful lake. The tall pine woods in north Houston would be an excellent place to host a few events.

Quote:
And like I said before, there is absolutely no reason why you'd need to export some of the events. An alternative/renewable energy or green theme? Great! No need to drive to Austin. Green Houston. Houston is already an energy capital (and what I hear, working on alternative energy as well), and ranks surprisingly high on green building lists (including this recent one) EPA: Houston ranks #1 in Energy Star Homes
Austin was just an example to show that there are enough scenic place in Houston or near by to where it wouldn't be a problem. Maybe cycling would be a better option. But either way, they do have plenty of options in or nearby Houston.

I think the alternative/renewable energy or green themed Olympics would be a very good selling point for Houston. I know Chicago tried it already and lost though.

Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
DC shouldn't make a bid in our lifetime.
Really? Why not?

Old 11-14-2009, 01:10 PM

882 posts, read 2,245,651 times
What nobody has mentioned is the REAL problem with Houston's Bid. Lack of Scenery is one, but less so from other cities like Dallas. We at least have the green areas of West Houston like Hermann Park & surrounding areas, and Rice. WE have the piney areas of north Houston/NE Houston. We have the coastal areas.

And public transportations is already on the works, with the already mentioned 5 lines. And these include connecting Downtown to Uptown, the "fashion" and hotel district. As well as connecting to numerous universities, already connecting to Rice, but in the future with UH. And this means easy access to their stadia, if necessary. But almost all bid use university stadia.

But the real problem is, International Recognition. Nationally, we are known, but outside of NA, we lag behind other cities. And since the olympics are usually given to international cities, this is a great obstacle. And i dont think the IOC wants another Atlanta olympics, that is award it to a little-known city internationally. And this is the real issue, because we can fix our public transportation in a couple of years, but to fix our image, now that takes a long long time. Even in the US, we have people who degrade Houston, so if we struggle to make a good image of ourselves, in our own nation, how can Houstonians improve their image in front of 5 other continents so soon?

I say, let Houston get some experience first, like hosting the 2020 Worlds Expo or a Pan-American Games.

Old 11-14-2009, 04:42 PM

36,658 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Now that 2016 is decided, Tulsa apparently is putting together a bid.

Quote:
And. Tulsa could launch a successful campaign around its proximity to major NCAA Division 1 sports stadiums and its rich Native American history.

"We've got the facilities. We've got the dorm count. And, we have the venues," said Neil Mavis, Tulsa Olympic Committee member.

The feasibility study proposes using facilities at the University of Tulsa, OSU Tulsa, Oral Roberts University, Northeast Oklahoma A&M, Northeastern State, Rogers State, Oklahoma State, the University of Oklahoma, and the University of Arkansas.

The [Tulsa] Olympic Committee says it plans on raising private funds to start a campaign, but all plans are on hold until October 2nd. That's when the International Olympic Committee will decide if Chicago gets the 2016 Olympics.

Tulsa Businessmen Want City To Host 2020 Olympics - NewsOn6.com - Tulsa, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports - KOTV.com |
Good Luck to Tulsa! Maybe you can show us SF people how to get along and make it happen. LOL

Old 11-14-2009, 06:06 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
But either way, they do have plenty of options in or nearby Houston.
To Texans it's not far because they're so used to it, but you have to remember how big Texas is. To Texans, Houston and Austin aren't that far apart, but to Europeans and people from the northeast US, it's a different story.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:04 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
Really? Why not?
They don't need to. I don't even think they have the money to support it. Too many issues right now within the city to address before going for something like the Olympics.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:05 PM

20,515 posts, read 33,540,106 times
Quote:
To Texans it's not far because they're so used to it, but you have to remember how big Texas is. To Texans, Houston and Austin aren't that far apart, but to Europeans and people from the northeast US, it's a different story.
Note that when Atlanta had the Olympics, they held events in Birmingham.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
What nobody has mentioned is the REAL problem with Houston's Bid. Lack of Scenery is one, but less so from other cities like Dallas. We at least have the green areas of West Houston like Hermann Park & surrounding areas, and Rice. WE have the piney areas of north Houston/NE Houston. We have the coastal areas.

And public transportations is already on the works, with the already mentioned 5 lines. And these include connecting Downtown to Uptown, the "fashion" and hotel district. As well as connecting to numerous universities, already connecting to Rice, but in the future with UH. And this means easy access to their stadia, if necessary. But almost all bid use university stadia.

But the real problem is, International Recognition. Nationally, we are known, but outside of NA, we lag behind other cities. And since the olympics are usually given to international cities, this is a great obstacle. And i dont think the IOC wants another Atlanta olympics, that is award it to a little-known city internationally. And this is the real issue, because we can fix our public transportation in a couple of years, but to fix our image, now that takes a long long time. Even in the US, we have people who degrade Houston, so if we struggle to make a good image of ourselves, in our own nation, how can Houstonians improve their image in front of 5 other continents so soon?

I say, let Houston get some experience first, like hosting the 2020 Worlds Expo or a Pan-American Games.
I would agree with this. Houston lacks in the international reputation and appeal category. I think right now, too many people associate the city to oil, pollution, and George Bush, even if that doesn't at all give an accurate representation of what Houston "is." I think the city is focusing on the 2020 World Expo and maybe the Pan-American Games as well. I think Houston has a good shot at the World Expo considering its position in energy (including alternative energy), heath care, biotech, space exploration, and over all research. Of course there is the problem of whether or not the Expo will come back to America after being snubbed for about 30 years and they would have to beat out Dubai, New York, San Francisco and a ton of other world class cities. I think they can do it though. As for American cities bidding, I think the Expo would do a lot more for Houston than it would for New York or San Francisco.

Last edited by wpmeads; 11-15-2009 at 03:01 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Note that when Atlanta had the Olympics, they held events in Birmingham.
Beijing held equestrian in Hong Kong which is quite a ways away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.