U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What things make a city truly world class?
Low taxes 7 8.24%
Premium mass transit system 57 67.06%
Renowned culinary scene 54 63.53%
Hot clubs/nightlife 43 50.59%
Good churches 11 12.94%
Hot economy 40 47.06%
Growing population 31 36.47%
Young, urbanized population 36 42.35%
Top-notch arts scene 54 63.53%
Large size (>2.5 million msa) 46 54.12%
Highly suburbanized 8 9.41%
Good schools 28 32.94%
Highly-ranked local research universities 54 63.53%
major airport 61 71.76%
Family values (church-going, pro-family sort of cultural enviroment) 7 8.24%
Wal Mart 6 7.06%
Highly educated population 48 56.47%
Close to coastal regions 12 14.12%
Pro-business legislation/climate 24 28.24%
Temperate weather/climate 6 7.06%
Liberal politics 13 15.29%
Conservative politics 7 8.24%
Major professional sports teams 39 45.88%
International reputation (a good reputation, anyway) 59 69.41%
Major financial center/hub 54 63.53%
Regional transportation hub 44 51.76%
Lots of open space/park space 28 32.94%
Tremendous highway system/infrastructure 32 37.65%
At least 47 Kentucky Fried Chickens 7 8.24%
Other (please specify) 6 7.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2018, 09:21 AM

9,013 posts, read 2,748,119 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is any phrase in the entire world I loathe more than "world class." It is about the stupidest, meaningless and vague and pointless phrase ever invented by mankind.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2018, 01:42 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,683,576 times
It means different things to everybody. One guy values world financial prominence, while another might mean a top-10 nightlife scene. I'd say the list is different depending on the context.

World class in any given category, to me, means you're in the conversation for #1. Boston would be world class for education. But it's not a world class city, because it's not in that conversation for #1.

Even among cities, it gets complicated and subjective. Even objective criteria can be hugely different. Tokyo, Paris, New York, and London (others too?) would all win #1 city polls depending on the situation.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:35 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,816,164 times
San Jose would most likely fit the profile of a world class city: vibrant downtown, large population, #1 high tech center of the Universe, diversity, large and a true international airport, and Michelin rated restaurants

Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM

260 posts, read 115,687 times
We could stop trying rank and classify cities?

All it is is a chest thumping competition

Old 07-31-2018, 11:35 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,344,313 times
At the very least there should be a bustling, healthy, diversified economy, a large population, good public safety/low crime, modern infrastructure, and a well-known reputation. I hesitate to call an impoverished, crime place a world class city even if they are huge cities. For example I would NOT consider Mexico City, Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro, Bangkok or Mumbai to be world class. I think if Chicago doesn't fix things soon it may no longer be a "world class city".

Nightlife, cultural impact, and global tourism does boost a city a lot though, which is why I personally consider New Orleans, Miami and Las Vegas to be world class cities. Vegas also has one of the most glamorous images in the world.

Old 08-03-2018, 11:42 AM

3,235 posts, read 1,565,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
At the very least there should be a bustling, healthy, diversified economy, a large population, good public safety/low crime, modern infrastructure, and a well-known reputation. I hesitate to call an impoverished, crime place a world class city even if they are huge cities. For example I would NOT consider Mexico City, Johannesburg, Rio de Janeiro, Bangkok or Mumbai to be world class. I think if Chicago doesn't fix things soon it may no longer be a "world class city".

Nightlife, cultural impact, and global tourism does boost a city a lot though, which is why I personally consider New Orleans, Miami and Las Vegas to be world class cities. Vegas also has one of the most glamorous images in the world.
As I said once before ..... NYC gets few reps for modern infrastructure. Still crime issues but not the gangland issues that shootings and those killed are what it needs to address much more. Even our rising sunbelt cities that some claimed entering the "World-Class" realm..... have increasing crime and even can have greater amounts outside of murders. If White in Chicago and not in a notorious hood. You have little fear of these gangland shootings and rivalries. But this scourge still haunts these otherwise not too bad looking hoods where the city maintains street-sweeper service, gets frontage maintained and spent much thru the 90s in removing most of its worst blight to empty lots. Its Notorious failed high-rise Housing Projects are all gone. That probably dispersed more gang members to other hoods not helping.

Some feel Chicago's elite have no issue with Black-Flight continuing out of especially these gang infested hoods. Still years of those claiming the city's fall and demise has had the city fight for its status and win in plans that brought great successes to parts of this city in a booming core outward ..... but sadly still a "Tale of Two Cities" that most American cities all have aspects of. Once the Irish and Italians were the hood neighborhoods.

Some cities have this great homeless crisis hurting their status too. But still a soaring tech scene and GDP numbers maintained. Some use Politics to lower cities and issues in agendas. Some cities on ultra-conservative networks and other news sources ..... are not kind to very Blue cities. But even CNN has not been kind to Chicago in its gangland crime programs in the past. But clearly, all America is experiencing it in all levels and degrees. We are in a era of escalating tension and division. Migrations of poorer folk displaced from some major cities. Are changing small cities across America with much cheaper with poorer job climates to keep desirability low. Many inner-cities residents finding this cheap housing and decent schools...... are relocating to them. My region of PA and hometown.... has changed much in this migrations from NYC hoods to Philly's that is across all ethic groups. Bringing this change ethnically more across the Nation in small cities too. Over just our major cities.

On Rio .... I don't see it losing its iconic coastal renown setting and status and Glamorous setting. Always has been wealthy vs dirt poor regions. I don't think glamorous .... is a trait Vegas is given globally? Gambling Mecca, entertainment venues for top acts and musicians yes. Glamorous to live off the strip ..... no. Nor is New Orleans. Miami/Miami Beach ..... does get this glamorous global linking and even LA by the Cali mystic still alive in the world and mighty NYC of course. IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalstaffBlues View Post
We could stop trying rank and classify cities?

All it is a chest thumping competition
Some of us do it for our political agendas to lessen certain cities ..... they have their target cities to lessen for reasons you can clearly tell if post are added to threads to claim status drops and blame. But still makes for interesting reads and to comment to. I try to pick and choose as not to comment to every post I see I could as clearly done for political reasons.

Old 02-20-2019, 08:00 AM

125 posts, read 67,741 times
airports-international-passenger-arrivals

http://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...-arrivals.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or