U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 02:49 AM

96 posts, read 212,141 times

Advertisements

Can't answer this..........I doubt there are many stats on it, who knows though. Lets just all friggin get along ok!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 04:45 AM

11,759 posts, read 8,318,816 times
Europe!

Old 11-20-2009, 05:52 AM

597 posts, read 1,886,100 times
Some of us are here often because there's no one in another room telling us to get off the computer and we usually don't hear, "Daddy, help me with my homework." It's more like, "hey dude, have you checked the litter box." We handle that and here we are again.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:19 AM

7,946 posts, read 15,055,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
It's funny how the South is often associated with homophobia and hate crimes against gays and lesbians, but researching the attacks that made headlines, there seems no bias towards the South. Indeed, just as many in the Midwest and especially the rural West. I'm not sure about racial violence, but it seems the likelihood is even higher in say Wyoming than Georgia, although the lower population density might balance that out.
Fort Smith, Arkansas. There was an incident at the night club there where two gay men went out on the dance floor and started dancing, and the DJ stopped the music and went over the loudspeaker telling them to get out of the club. The patrons started booing the gay couple and spitting on them and throwing beer on them as they tried to exit the club. After they got out, they found all the windows busted out of their car and a huge "***" scratched into the paint. That is Christianity at it's finest. Having lived in Ft Smith I will say if you value your life, friends, or possessions, DO NOT come out of the closet.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:12 PM

11,179 posts, read 22,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I associate assault, of the non-domestic kind, with walkable towns and cities more than places with a spread out population.

I bet or I'm guessing you'll find places with the highest percentage of assaults (gay assaults/gay population) on gays also have the highest percentage of assaults (assaults/population), overall, and are densely populated.
Assault normally follows the socio-economic situation of an area and also the median age of residents. It's not directly connected with sheer density levels. Many of Chicago's most walkable areas are also its safest. Many of the areas of the country with the highest assault rates are certainly not the most densely populated.

I think that areas where many hate crimes against gays happen are generally safe from assault. Hate crimes happen many times in areas that have large gay populations - and normally those areas have a lower crime rate than many other areas of a city.

Many areas of very high assault levels overall are high-crime, gang infested, inpoverished and dangerous areas. Those are usually the last place openly gay people are going to be walking around in public drawing any sort of attention ( or most of the rest of society for that matter).

Old 11-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,826 posts, read 33,236,319 times
Some posts above that answered the question in the title of the thread with a part of the body were deleted. That answer is not funny, not helpful and off topic, since it was not the type of answer the OP was looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8palmtrees View Post
I am NOT at all gay, but it just boils me to hear how some people bash gays. Gays should feel safe just like us hetrosexuals no matter what you sexual orientation is.
Anyone who bashes gays are just so stupid!!! Gay people are people just like short people are people just like tall people are people etc, they have feelings like anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Thanx...I wish some posters in the political forum would read your post....they can be MEAN and CRUEL along with pretty "DUMB"...LOL. .
If you see bashing happen in ANY forum here at City-Data, use the button and report it to the mod team. It's against the Terms of Service and it is officially not tolerated here (see TOS quote below), but since the mods can't read every post, we don't always see it. Do your part and make sure that we do.

Quote:
Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:18 PM

3,284 posts, read 2,870,346 times
While some people may find this topic controversial and pointless, I would point out that obviously history has shown smaller communities more rural in nature tend to be less approving of homosexual behavior.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by Bo; 11-20-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: Can't discuss mod actions in the forum, per the TOS.

Old 11-21-2009, 02:05 AM

3,436 posts, read 5,988,189 times
^^^ thats always the case.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:09 AM

486 posts, read 915,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
As far as the Bay Area goes, out of SF, Oakland, and San Jose, SF actually had by far the most reported hate crimes in 2006, including those based on sexual orientation:

San Francisco:
38 sexual orientation related hate crimes

San Jose:
6 sexual orientation related hate crimes

Oakland:
0 sexual orientation related hate crimes

source:abc7news.com: FBI: SF has most hate crimes in Bay Area 11/19/07
Don't you think that it might have something to do with the total # of openly gay people living in San Fran, as opposed to some higher level of hatred toward gays?

I seriously doubt that your % chance of being assaulted for being gay in San Fran is high compared to those other cities or anywhere else for that matter.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,127,310 times
^ Do you have something wrong with numbers? The fact is SF did have the most reported hate crimes in the Bay Area in all categories, including sexual-orientation based hate crimes. I didn't make the numbers up, they are what they are

Also, you seem to have missed THIS post that i made, 4 pages back:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post

I'll give my theory on why SF is so much higher than other cities in the bay in this regard. SF has the highest gay population to begin with, SF is known as having the largest gay population (nice destination if you wanna go beat gay people i guess?), and also insecure homophobic SF residents who resent the cities "gay image" and who take it out on gay people. But 38 incidents still doesn't seem like that many. In fact i'd say it seems kinda low. The rest of the bay is just even lower...i wonder how other cities around the US compare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or