U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 10:03 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,276,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well whether you believe it or not that's what happens. This kind of behaviour has also been observed in various species of animals, like Bonobos, and walruses (who 'mate' with other males when the females are not in season).

I can understand the high number of anti-gay crimes in the Bay Area, as there are simply so many gay people that (a) some people are frustrated/intolerant of them, and there are far more of them to 'pick on.' If you're gay in a small rural town you're far more likely to hide it as a protection mechanism.
I imagine that most human beings would masturbate before having same-sex relations...we are slightly above the animals with our ability to reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,976,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
...and it's never about being gay. I just don't buy it that a straight man would have sex with another man - for any reason.
I think in some cases the man is initially sexually abused in prison so at some point decides finding a protective male, even if it's one who still wants sex, is better than sex with a guy who might also do serious damage to them. Or they trade sex for other favors. It might be "unbelievable" on a personal level for you, but I'm pretty sure there have been heterosexual males who have "turned tricks", been a male prostitute for either or both sexes, in order to get drugs or to survive.

Also men in prison are often not ordinary heterosexual men with ordinary thought processes. I believe a disproportionate number of them have suffered from physical or sexual abuse in their lifetimes. They're also more likely to suffer from mental illness. Many of them are therefore people more willing to do anything to survive or willing to do things that are basically strange (for them) or contrary to their nature. So if you put a group of average heterosexuals in a confined environment they may not act like this. However if you have a group that's 30% average heteros, 30% emotionally abused heteros, 30% psychotic heteros, and 10% homosexual you might get a different series of events.

On another point I don't know that saying you're bisexual is all that much "easier" for men. I didn't start saying it until a year ago and I still don't say it in real life. In some respects I think, for a man, being one way or the other would be easier. My first attractions were to women, but when I started being attracted to men my assumption for a time was that any attraction to men must mean I'm just gay. A part of me knew this didn't really feel right. I had been in love with a woman, but I tried to convince myself that was some sort-of societal thing. Besides I intended to be a lifelong celibate anyway so did it matter if I was straight or gay? Well okay it actually did a little as I had wanted to be a monk, but felt being attracted to men would make that awkward. However I accept I'm attracted to men so thinking of myself as bisexual, rather than homosexual, doesn't change the monk issue. I'm not sure it makes much of anything easier. The only thing it may make easier is explaining how I've been attracted, or even been in unrequited love with a couple times, both men and women. To just say "I'm gay" would, for me, require a great deal more trying to explain myself to myself and I've decided it's not worth it.

Old 11-13-2009, 10:38 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,460,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Men have sex with other men in prison simply because there are no women to have sex with. They're not gay, they just decide that having sex with another man is better than not having sex at all.

that may be so, but I still call it gay, those fools in prison doing this are GAY, they may not admit it, but its a gay act, so Im calling it gay.

its nasty, I would rather have my hand than another man

Old 11-13-2009, 10:59 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,889,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Of course, I'm speaking of most people everywhere that I've been...I don't speak about things that I have no experience with. And I thought we were talking about assaults, no stares. Who cares if someone stares at you? I usually take a stare as a compliment, not as an assault.

I'm interested to to see the map or whatever you meant to post...but again, I thought the discussion was about assaults and not about employment discrimination.
Well, we can agree on physical assault... That's pretty much not going to be happening anywhere unless you're shlepping around 'backwoods' streets in cities and acting stupid. But for verbal assault... That is much more common, though maybe not as common as I was probably making it out to be.

Anyway, the map I posted shows up when I look at the page. It's available here: File:LGBT employment discrimination law in the United States.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How this pertains to the discussion is that it is a reflection, to a degree, of the majority attitudes you will find in these various areas of the country and that could potentially correlate to the amount of assaults, regionally. It's a broad brush to paint with, however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Well whether you believe it or not that's what happens. This kind of behaviour has also been observed in various species of animals, like Bonobos, and walruses (who 'mate' with other males when the females are not in season).
This has to be one of the sillier arguments I've run across...

Old 11-14-2009, 09:18 AM

15,400 posts, read 19,578,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 940 View Post
"Where is the strangest place you've made whoopee??"

that was a very funny episode...
In a tree house....swaying in the wind.....LOL....Anyway the beaches can get tricky in Florida...I had a guy try and have his way with me. I'm gay but wasn't interested; so I had to punch him in the face....that stopped him fast!

Old 11-14-2009, 09:23 AM

Let me add that I have had verbal assaults in every city I lived in. Also threatened in every city; but I have luckily avoided violence except that one time mentioned earlier. That situation left me no choice and I had to get violent to defend myself or get rapped. PS...I don't "bottom"(winks).

Old 11-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
I am gay and I've never been assaulted anywhere.

Of course I don't walk around wearing a thong, feather boa and heels.

Not that doing that merits abuse in any form, but its not like my sexuality is obvious.
This explains everything! . .

Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,124,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
"lifestyles" and people of diverse ways of being.

Someone mentioned San Francisco as having the largest number of hate crimes in the Bay Area (and also one of the highest in the country if I recall). Want to know why this is? Because people there feel comfortable enough reporting these crimes to the police, more comfortable than they would feel reporting it in Podunk, Alabama.
i posted those stats, and i never compared to other cities in the US, just Bay Area cities.

Also i'm pretty sure you have no way of knowing whether people in SF are more likely to report crimes than people in San Jose or Oakland. I'd say it's likely not true. The SFPD doesn't exactly have the best reputation. They often try to convince you NOT to report crimes, telling you that it's "pointless." SF also has many immigrants who are probably less likely to report crimes as well, not to mention a gangster culture just like any other city, in which snitching can definitely get you killed. What about when the SFPD installed gunshot detectors a few years ago, and discovered that tons of gunfire in the city doesn't get reported? Just saying that i'm not sure where you got the idea that crimes are reported more in SF, compared to other cities.

I'll give my theory on why SF is so much higher than other cities in the bay in this regard. SF has the highest gay population to begin with, SF is known as having the largest gay population (nice destination if you wanna go beat gay people i guess?), and also insecure homophobic SF residents who resent the cities "gay image" and who take it out on gay people. But 38 incidents still doesn't seem like that many. In fact i'd say it seems kinda low. The rest of the bay is just even lower...i wonder how other cities around the US compare.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,106,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticman View Post
Men have sex with other men in prison simply because there are no women to have sex with. They're not gay, they just decide that having sex with another man is better than not having sex at all.
Can't they have conjugal visits with random females who want to do "you know what" with a prisoner.

Maybe I just watch too much prison movies.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
tenderloin about 3 am SF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or