U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you think in the best, affordable city?
Phoenix, AZ 1 1.96%
Denver, CO 6 11.76%
Atlanta, GA 3 5.88%
Chicago, IL 3 5.88%
Detroit, MI 3 5.88%
Minneapolis, MN 4 7.84%
Pittsburgh, PA 8 15.69%
Philadelphia, PA 2 3.92%
Dallas, TX 3 5.88%
Houston, TX 9 17.65%
San Antonio, TX 3 5.88%
Other (please state) 6 11.76%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 05:21 PM

449 posts, read 1,045,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
We would? Not me. I love Denver because it's everything San Francsico is not.
Just curious-is Denver affordable? I love Colorado, although I haven't been there since the late 80's when I worked for Club Med Copper Mtn. That was fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2007, 05:31 PM

353 posts, read 378,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jensen beach gal View Post
Just curious-is Denver affordable? I love Colorado, although I haven't been there since the late 80's when I worked for Club Med Copper Mtn. That was fun!
Denver has nothing to do with the resorts. They are in the same state and share economic benefits, but culturally and otherwise they are worlds apart (and Denver's part of the Heartland, for that matter). Compared to other cities, Denver is quite affordable. It's not as cheap as some cities in the south, but for the lifestyle you get, I'd say it's plenty affordable.

Old 05-14-2007, 07:10 PM

673 posts, read 3,753,869 times
I voted for Minneapolis although not affordable at all, considering the wage scale overall in Minneapolis the people seem to do pretty well in the Twin Cities (high wages, moderate housing)

Also, Des Moines is an excpetional smaller city that is affordable just I would never recommend moving there single.
Des Moines (cheap housing, moderate wage scale, very few social problems)

Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM

30,229 posts, read 67,379,434 times
I voted for Pittsburgh, as it seems to have all of the strengths that larger, more complex metropolitan areas have while having a fraction of the problems and a much lower cost-of-living. For example, Pittsburgh has a thriving fine arts scene, a great professional sports following (Penguins, Steelers, Pirates), excellent hospitals, colleges, and universities, historic architecture, ethnically-distinct neighborhoods, etc. However, its traffic congestion issues are minimal, crime is low for a city of its size, and it is still quite possible to find a "starter home" in an up-and-coming neighborhood. Its biggest "cons" are probably the declining population/tax base, negative and nasty city natives who have a "Pittsburgh Stinks" mentality, and high air pollution. Nevertheless, I'd love to live in a place like Pittsburgh!

If I had the option for a second vote, it would go to Minneapolis/St. Paul. A third vote would go to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, which I think is poised for a major upswing in the coming years as the exodus of NYC/NJ dwellers continues into NEPA for the lower cost-of-living.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:23 AM

673 posts, read 3,753,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I voted for Pittsburgh, as it seems to have all of the strengths that larger, more complex metropolitan areas have while having a fraction of the problems and a much lower cost-of-living. For example, Pittsburgh has a thriving fine arts scene, a great professional sports following (Penguins, Steelers, Pirates), excellent hospitals, colleges, and universities, historic architecture, ethnically-distinct neighborhoods, etc. However, its traffic congestion issues are minimal, crime is low for a city of its size, and it is still quite possible to find a "starter home" in an up-and-coming neighborhood. Its biggest "cons" are probably the declining population/tax base, negative and nasty city natives who have a "Pittsburgh Stinks" mentality, and high air pollution. Nevertheless, I'd love to live in a place like Pittsburgh!

If I had the option for a second vote, it would go to Minneapolis/St. Paul. A third vote would go to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA, which I think is poised for a major upswing in the coming years as the exodus of NYC/NJ dwellers continues into NEPA for the lower cost-of-living.
I dont understand why Pittsburghers have a inferiority complex. Its one of the best cities in the country, cities that have nothing on the level of what Pittsburgh has brag why so shouldnt Pittsburgh.

The one thing that makes Pittsburgh incredible in my opinion is the neighborhoods. With the increase in people nationwide wanting live in an urban environment Pittsburgh is one of the best in that regard.

Its amazing so many people want are moving to topographically appealing areas like (Boise), that have dense urban devolopment, alot of college towns are seeing an influx (Springfield, Iowa City). Pittsburgh pretty much has all these different positive traits that many of the most popular cities now only have one.

===================
Also, Denver is affordable depending on neighborhood there are big ranges from neighborhood to neighborhood. Denver still has tons of neighborhoods that have not had gentification on a large level so it is still very, very affordable in some areas. Globeville, Elyria and SW Denver south of 6th and west of Federal Blvd and the Yosemite/Tamarac area from Colfax to Alameda it might be possible to get a small fixer-upper for less then 100,000.

Overall, the reason why Denver is higher then it otherwise would be is people moving with all their California equity to places like Washington Park, Cherry Creek, Hilltop and Chessman Park have moved in raising the property values alot in those areas and those neighborhoods are much, much more expensive then the rest of Denver.

The same square footage that is 400,000 in Washington Park in South-east Denver might go for 125,000-150,000 in the Federal/Alameda area of SW Denver, Globeville or Elyria in North Denver.

Last edited by MattDen; 05-15-2007 at 12:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or