U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,595,362 times

Advertisements

does this look accurate?
Attached Thumbnails
Cultural Regions of the Americas-american-cultures.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 05:30 PM

5,847 posts, read 11,017,285 times
Civilization is dead between the 405 Freeway and the Hudson River

Old 11-12-2009, 05:32 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
What is "Dixon"?

Old 11-12-2009, 05:37 PM

925 posts, read 2,290,972 times
I'd say that it's not accurate for many reasons:

1) Anglo: (Generally, this relates to speaking English). In this regard, the "Dixons" are no different from the "Anglos".

2) "Hispanic": You've got southern California and much of the southwest covered. While the illegal Mexicans have made their prescence shown, it's more or less a patchwork quilt within southern California. There are places where Mexicans are in the minority and places where they are in the majority. In New Mexico, this state is complex. Much of the northwestern region of the state is populated by a majority of Indians, along with "Hispanic" Mestizos, with some whites thrown in. The southeastern part of the state is primarily white, and it's a cattle/oil culture. The rest of the state is a mixed bag with most of the rural areas being populated by whites, reservations being the exception, and the cities having predominately white sections of town and predominately Mexican areas of town.

You've listed "Hispanic" throughout South America, without distinguishing between white Hispanics and Mestizo hispanics, and there is a difference, particularly as it relates to the predominately white countries of Uruguay and Argentina with that of Mexico and Columbia.

3) "Native": You've listed "native" for Canada, while much of the area you've colored in green is populated by a majority of whites. Only really the area of Nunavut, as well as extreme northern Yukon and Northwest Territories are populated by a majority of "natives" Most of that area would fit in with what you've classified as "anglo". In Alaska, while a bit more accurate, much of the state is a mixed bag, with nearly equal representation, or a majority of whites to Inuit. Only the northern half of Alaska, along the Bering Strait and the Aleutian Peninsula and Islands are the Inuit the majority.

4) "Dixon": While there is a definite culture of this area, it isn't that pronounced from the rest of white America, compared with the differences between the other regions. However, I'll at least acknowledge the cultural difference. Unfortunately, much of "Dixon", as you call it, is diluted today, courtesy of the Mainstream Media and travel. I wouldn't include that much of southern Illinois in "Dixon". Florida is also southern in areas, namely in the north and through the interior (skipping the I-4 corridor).

Old 11-12-2009, 06:04 PM

2,779 posts, read 6,684,676 times
In answer to the OPs question, NO!

Dixon? Really!LOL

Old 11-12-2009, 06:17 PM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Well, Even though they look like "Southern Natives" from other countries, the parts of Brazil included with that group is culturally tied to the rest of Brazil and not the other countries indigenous peoples.

So I would make all of Brazil "Portuguese". My 2 cents.

Old 11-13-2009, 03:47 AM

2,816 posts, read 5,384,690 times
Coastal Northern Brazil is definitely African, not native.

Well, and of course Portuguese as well, like Montclair says, but that goes without saying.

Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 AM

32,343 posts, read 55,140,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Coastal Northern Brazil is definitely African, not native.
Excellent Point. Brazil has 50 Million Citizens of African Descent and most of them live in the Northeast although millions now live in the Southeast(Rio and SP).

Also, something like 80% of Brazil's population is at least 10% Black-even if they don't look it in many cases.

Quote:
Well, and of course Portuguese as well, like Montclair says, but that goes without saying.
I guess I was confused and thought they were talking about language as opposed to the ethnic group.

I say that because most Brazilians are not of Portuguese descent. Actually Italians are pretty much tied with Portuguese at about 25 Million a piece.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or