U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 03:02 AM

321 posts, read 640,565 times

Advertisements

Yeah, L.A. is really diverse. In new York I'd safely say there is more African and Middle Eastern diversity, as well as more Eastern European/ Eurasian diversity. In L.A., I would say more central American, Pacific, and East Asian diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 AM

321 posts, read 640,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm basing that on the number of nationalities/ethnicities represented (which is also a rough approximation of the number of groups represented, but is better than just going by races) and the absolute number of these different groups which should be more important than the percentage. If you look at Demographics of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

you'll see that NYC consistently has the largest community of various ethnic groups in the US.
Though I wouldnt say NYC is morediverse, in NYC I would say more ethnic enclaves exist that are condusive to visible communities of specific ethic/cultural groups moreso than in other cities.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:46 AM

22,174 posts, read 23,705,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmo1984 View Post
Though I wouldnt say NYC is morediverse, in NYC I would say more ethnic enclaves exist that are condusive to visible communities of specific ethic/cultural groups moreso than in other cities.
Yea, that in addition to what I've said already.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:17 AM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,660,165 times
i used to live next to haitians, ppl from honduras, guyanese indians and african americans (all on the same block. all side by side and/or in front of each other). we went to a store owned by koreans to get whatever, went to a bodega owned by a pakistani man, etc.

nyc takes this. queens alone takes this, IMHO.

now everybody around is from pakistan or ecuador/el salvador/mexico.

you know your city is diverse when you question where the black west indians have gone, in relation to the east indian west indians. lol.

i think most ppl outside of pocket areas have never even heard the term west indian to describe a person from the caribbean...or at least its not used in everyday lingo.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:45 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i used to live next to haitians, ppl from honduras, guyanese indians and african americans (all on the same block. all side by side and/or in front of each other). we went to a store owned by koreans to get whatever, went to a bodega owned by a pakistani man, etc.

nyc takes this. queens alone takes this, IMHO.

now everybody around is from pakistan or ecuador/el salvador/mexico.

you know your city is diverse when you question where the black west indians have gone, in relation to the east indian west indians. lol.

i think most ppl outside of pocket areas have never even heard the term west indian to describe a person from the caribbean...or at least its not used in everyday lingo.
The majority of the privately owned corners stores in Texas are ran by foreigners lol

The corner store near my house where i grew up; they use to sell drugs, weapons, bootleg DVDs and CDs, and everything on the side. You had to go to the back to get that type of stuff.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:37 PM

10,630 posts, read 23,430,475 times
LA, especially if you look at metro area, not city limits (which more accurately reflects the reality of the city) is far more diverse than you are envisioning. There are also huge numbers of different ethnicities and nationalities represented. So while NYC might edge it out slightly, it's not exactly by a landslide, either. LA has its share of ethnic pockets as well as neighborhood where people live side-by-side. The point here is not that NYC, and especially Queens is not diverse; it's just that NYC does not have the "by far" monopoly on ethnic diversity in this country.

By the way, I think most peple know the term West Indian and where it refers to, although maybe I'm wrong about that.

I could list off the diversity of my neighborhoods, too. NYC is not the only diverse place around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or