U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:02 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,466,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I'm not sure who this "chill" is directed at, but I was objective and reasonable throughout.

For the record, my observations were only about NYC. Others who wanted to talk about the suburban or affluent areas of the North for Blacks as a whole are free to do so, but it's silly for anyone to assume I'm making a blanket statement about all of the North when I never made an assertion about an entire region, or even all blacks in NYC.

My post is based entirely on nyrican's misconceptions about Blacks based on his limited experience in NYC and the reality that numbers fare better for blacks as a whole outside of the North. If that cannot be understood, then I'm pretty much done. Those who got it can take my post as exactly as I presented it, nothing more nothing less.

I got it. Thank you for being a voice of reason and someone who is obviously a lot more well-read and erudite than most of the other posters on this board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 01:18 PM

927 posts, read 1,913,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I got it. Thank you for being a voice of reason and someone who is obviously a lot more well-read and erudite than most of the other posters on this board.
Much appreciated grindin ;-)

Old 11-17-2009, 01:22 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,701,367 times
Is anyone else kind of shocked by how many blacks are on here??? I though half of you were white. *Sarcasm*......a little.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:54 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,458,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Is anyone else kind of shocked by how many blacks are on here??? I though half of you were white. *Sarcasm*......a little.
You know what they say about assuming...

Old 11-17-2009, 02:51 PM

4,037 posts, read 8,084,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostoner View Post
You know what they say about assuming...
Indeed. I made a post about something and was called a white republican. I thought it was hilarious. Okay okay I was a little offended but at the end it was pretty darn funny.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:06 PM

9,086 posts, read 13,299,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
are you sure...?

couldn't be from NYC tho, huh? had to be from westchester county or northern nj.

stop it.

as many opportunities as there are in NYC and you say that its like going back in time for "black folk."

negro please.

just because a few ppl in the projects want to act like stereotypes doesn't mean that every black person in nyc is like that. we have plenty of middle class, upper middle class black families all over nyc. plenty. we have plenty of good schools here.

so a few ppl don't take the opportunities that surround them. and? if they wouldn't do it in NYC then what makes anyone think that they'd do it in ATL? or DC? or whatever southern city ___ thinks is better than NYC?? they wouldn't take an opportunity if it was handed to them, as seen on T.I.'s show (on MTV or BET or whatever channel it was on). as seen everyday in life.
Appqarently a lot of black NY'ers do not feel the way you do about living in NY.they seem to be leaving at a faster rate than any other city in the U.S. ,AND at the number one destination is/has:ATLANTA.

April 3, 2006
New York City Losing Blacks, Census Shows
By SAM ROBERTS

An accelerating exodus of American-born blacks, coupled with slight declines in birthrates and a slowing influx of Caribbean and African immigrants, have produced a decline in New York City's black population for the first time since the draft riots during the Civil War, according to preliminary census estimates.

An analysis of the latest figures, which show the city with 30,000 fewer black residents in 2004 than in 2000, also revealed stark contrasts in the migration patterns of blacks and whites.

Last edited by houstoner; 11-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.. Reason: When posting reference material from a newspaper, media or online site, only post a link and a snippet (2 sentences).

Old 11-17-2009, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
oooh;...can't believe you said that!!So true though.I thought the same thing!!LOL

Old 11-17-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Indeed. I made a post about something and was called a white republican. I thought it was hilarious. Okay okay I was a little offended but at the end it was pretty darn funny.
Don't feel bad,the same happened to me.Very bazaar...lol

Old 11-17-2009, 06:19 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,282,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Erudite! That was an answer in the NY Times crossword last week! Thanks...I couldn't come up with that one.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:42 PM
eek

3,576 posts, read 6,660,165 times
its completely off topic but gentrification in nyc is serious. i guess by the end of bloomberg's 34234234234th term, everyone here will be white and from the uk.
or east indian on an h1b visa.

(i'm honestly not trying to offend anybody but just speaking the truth. real talk, i don't think that there is a black owned anything anywhere on hillside av in queens and it is true, mad black ppl have left. black ppl regardless of ethnicity).

its very sad. and i didn't say that black ppl are not moving to the south, what i said (in various threads) is that many ppl don't take the opportunities that they have. its easy to trade cost of living for cheaper rent and better weather but our job market is better...

but no one wants to fight. just like the job market. everybody thinks something but doesn't want to say it. nobody votes. there is no movement, no nothing. ppl are ok with the status quo and rather than stand and fight they run away.

such is america.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or