U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:36 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,320,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
BTW, I wish people would stop going on about how much more progressive and welcoming towards black Europe is. It's easy to be progressive with a few token blacks spread throughout who by and large have assimilated and conformed to the dominant white culture. But when Europe has a huge black population with their own developed culture like the U.S. does and those Europeans still have the same attitude, then we can talk.
Good points, but as I said, I'm just personally going by what I've heard. The dynamic in many European countries between the natives and those of African descent is definitely going to be different since they don't have the legacy of slavery, Jim Crow, etc. to deal with. I'm not saying there are no tensions there, but that's a noticeable difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 AM

56,511 posts, read 80,803,243 times
Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical about that population figure you threw up considering Great Britain as a whole MIGHT have as many black people as the entire state of Texas.
That is legit I believe as London is something like 12% Black. France is about 8% Black or so and the Netherlands is about 17% "minority". People have to remember that a lot of the Black folks in Europe come from the Caribbean too. For instance, many of the Black people in the Netherlands come from Surinam, the Cape Verde Islands or the Netherland Antilles. In England, it's Jamaica, Barbados, Burmuda, Trinidad and other English speaking island countries. Some come from Nigeria and Ghana, among other African countries. For France, they still own Guadeloupe and Martinique, as well as having Black folks coming from French Guiana and from West African countries(i.e.-Senegal, the Congo, Mali, etc.). Portugal gets Black folks from Angola and so on. Black people in Europe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-17-2011, 03:41 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,055 posts, read 3,807,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment Im sorry but that was an idiotic statement.This is why I think New Yorkers are out of touch!You think because of your mostly experience of African Americans in NYC,that must be the "creme of the crop" in America?Washington D.C. and Atlanta are neck and neck for the most educated blacks with the highest per capita incomes in the U.S.Dallas,Houston,Los Angeles,Detroit(believe it or not),Chicago are also some of the cities with high number of highly educated blacks with black companies/firms,politicians,CEOS,Doctors,Professors,etc....
The Selig Center used Census data in from 1990 and came out with a report that basically placed Black American wealth in this country ranked(cant remember the exact rank number)just after Italy.That means the Black American wealth by itself in 1990 had a per capita GDP/and national GDP would rank behind Italy.Imagine what it is today as it has grown enormously.Dude I sorry,you may be from NYC ,but there is an AMERICA that looks nothing like NYC.You only need to travel a few hours upstate New York to the capital in Albany and you will see.

Contrary and popular belief,the poverty rate among A.A. and Hispanics(of any race) in America is triple that of whites at roughly 26%.Thats hardly the majorityy of blacks.
Poverty rate for African Americans: 26.1 percent
Poverty rate for Asians and Pacific Islanders: 12.5 percent
Poverty rate for Hispanics of any race: 25.6 percent
Poverty rate for non-Hispanic whites: 8.2 percent

Education wise Blacks are more educated in D.C.and Atlanta than NYC overall.And in all those cities the disparities while are obvious,there are a lot of similarities with there 'white" or mainstream counterparts.Im not saying that the amount of minorities doing poorly is not cause for concern,but to paint such a wide brush is disingenuous at best.I suggest if you truly want to be aware of what is REALLY going on,do more digging before you make very inaccurate and misleading post.
^Thank you thank you thank you! for this post

Old 01-17-2011, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
And You Moderator cut: see comment for thinking that I am only basing my statements on my experiences in NYC when I am not. If you go to every state who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right? Who do you see most in a wellfare line? Black right? So is in the whole US. Also I was only mentioning Blacks for the purpose of this thread that the question of this thread is "Do African Americans travel ...." Because I know that many Hispanics are poor and lives in the same 'hoods' that Black American live.
actually that is not true. thats what the media tells you. there are states where black people are a small % and whites and/or hispanics make up the greatest % of the jail system, welfare etc. stop believing because they show you Chicago, Detroit, St Louis, New Orleans etc and any other city with a sizable black population that its true

Old 01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Grindin and bizchick86 gave excellent responses, but many of the Blacks who want to live in areas of the West with lower costs of living move to the Inland Empire, Phoenix, or Las Vegas. Like others, they're usually moving from the Los Angeles area.

But here's a useful chart I ran across some time ago about states that Blacks are migrating to and which states they are from. They correspond pretty much to the migration patters during the first Great Migration:
not surprised at most MI blacks in GA. ATL is probably the first place Detroiters (metro and city) consider relocating too

Old 01-18-2011, 12:22 PM

2,341 posts, read 4,053,170 times
Someone may have said this, but in Eurpoe, typically African AMericans are treated diferently than AFricans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I've heard of several places in Europe that are more or less welcoming to African Americans. One of my childhood best friends, who has made a career for himself in the Navy, says that he'd jump at the chance to live in Spain if he could. The latest issue of Ebony magazine has a piece about Black Americans who have lived/live abroad in Rome. As an African American myself, there are several cities abroad that I'd absolutely love to experience.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:17 AM

3,506 posts, read 7,309,750 times
Quote:
I'm a bit skeptical about that population figure you threw up considering Great Britain as a whole MIGHT have as many black people as the entire state of Texas.
Its a close figure. London is about 11% black(Caribbeans and Africans). Remember London has over 7.5 million people, so that is about 800,000 people who are black. Also about 13% of Londoners are Asian. I was surprised myself that London has that many blacks and is somewhat racially diverse. It totally changed my perceptions of England. They even have projects(they call them Estates over there). lol
Demography of London: Information from Answers.com

Old 01-19-2011, 11:15 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 22 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,130,434 times
I've just been renting the National Parks: America's Best Idea dvd from my public library. I like how they emphasize the impact of Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians and the evolution of the park system given the general stereotype that only Whites and Native Americans love the outdoors.

Old 01-20-2011, 02:33 PM

15,504 posts, read 17,716,813 times
Contrary to what you may see on television or in movies, Blacks only make up about 12.5% of the U.S. population though many cities do have a large black population or are Black majority. This may account for the seemingly low numbers of Blacks that you see traveling from a major hub airport like Atlanta.

I will say this. I live in an American city, Albuquerque, which is, I believe, about 3% Black, and there is a disproportionately high number of Blacks on my usual flight which goes to NYC via Atlanta, indicating that Blacks, do indeed travel. My final destination is usually NYC and there are a lot of Blacks (and every other race/ethnicity under the sun) on those flight, too. I imagine the Atlanta-Fargo route is pretty homogeneous on the other hand.

Old 01-21-2011, 01:52 PM

4,138 posts, read 4,157,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is economic disparity in the USA between blacks and whites. Travel requires two things: Money and free time. Whites have more money, whites have more jobs that offer paid vacations. There are plenty of blacks traveling, but you don't see them at airports. You see them at bus stations.

That's one of the most ignorant things that I've read in awhile. It's amazing how many whites cling to these ridiculous stereotypes. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or