U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:16 PM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Reputation: 6692

Advertisements

Blacks represent about 13-14% of the population. I mention that because I think in polls people think blacks represent more than that so may feel "wow it's mostly white people in 'blank' so blacks must not like 'blank'" when in reality the proportion "in blank" was fairly representative. I live in a state that's less than 8% black and people would say "you don't see blacks in XYZ classes" when the reality was that having one or two black students out of twenty in "XYZ class" was really pretty proportionate. (The town I went to college was just 3% black)

Blacks are also fairly diverse in religion, culture, ideals, and so forth. Still blacks are more likely to be poor or to be single parents. Those things might make travel harder. From what I recall though blacks travel as much as anyone else or at least as much when you factor differences in average economics and family structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Texas
1,365 posts, read 2,470,410 times
Reputation: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Folks, it's dangerous to draw conclusions about other members based on what they post. Stick to refuting the facts and opinions in other posts (You posted X, but that's not true because of Y.) and avoid drawing conclusions like "You posted X, so you must be Y." Such posts may be considered by the member they are directed at to be personal attacks and could be subject to moderator action.
Well if certain users would stop posting "Y" type opinions, and keep these ideas to themselves, no one would be getting frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,303,223 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCoySays View Post
Well if certain users would stop posting "Y" type opinions, and keep these ideas to themselves, no one would be getting frustrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,344,763 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Good question. Maybe is because many of them are not interested in traveling? Or not interested in seeing what is out there? Because Every time I go to places like the Zoo's or museums the majority of times I see only White People.
I don't know what zoos and museums have to do with traveling in particular, but just because I don't see many Latinos at these places when I visit, must I conclude that Latinos don't like culture or traveling?

Some of y'all are either living in a bubble or don't know many Black folks personally. Or maybe a combination of the two, because some of this crap being spewed here is simply ludicrous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:55 AM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 14,001,881 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't know what zoos and museums have to do with traveling in particular, but just because I don't see many Latinos at these places when I visit, must I conclude that Latinos don't like culture or traveling?

Some of y'all are either living in a bubble or don't know many Black folks personally. Or maybe a combination of the two, because some of this crap being spewed here is simply ludicrous.
There are lots of ignorant white folks on CD. Don't waste your time trying to educate them. Let them be whom they are.

It's a No-Win debate.

I will say, I see a lot of these "About African American's" threads on City Data. I guess the white folks that start these threads have to focus their attention on the so-called short comings of blacks because it's to hard to look in the mirror at themselves.

God Bless them, I guess......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:01 AM
 
Location: Armsanta Sorad
5,660 posts, read 6,862,501 times
Reputation: 2440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
There are lots of ignorant white folks on CD. Don't waste your time trying to educate them. Let them be whom they are.

It's a No-Win debate.

I will say, I see a lot of these "About African American's" threads on City Data. I guess the white folks that start these threads have to focus their attention on the so-called short comings of blacks because it's to hard to look in the mirror at themselves.

God Bless them, I guess......
They're all over the internet, especially on Stormfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:41 AM
 
Location: 30-40N 90-100W
13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Reputation: 6692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't know what zoos and museums have to do with traveling in particular, but just because I don't see many Latinos at these places when I visit, must I conclude that Latinos don't like culture or traveling?

Some of y'all are either living in a bubble or don't know many Black folks personally. Or maybe a combination of the two, because some of this crap being spewed here is simply ludicrous.
I know, it's not just black issues even. I remember a awhile back people were discussing "how come you never see Asians at Wal-Mart or the Mall?" And they were seriously discussing it like it was something real needing explanation.

I don't remember my response but I think it was something like "I'm pretty sure I've Asians at the Mall or Wal-Mart." That was probably an attempt at tact. I think my initial feeling was more like "What the heck are you talking about?" And now it's "you never see blacks at a museum or zoo." I don't go to museums or zoos often enough to judge, but I'm skeptical that's true or at least that it's always true. There are museums that specifically concern black history and culture or are in cities that are majority black.

National Museum of African American History and Culture in DC

NMAAHC - Home Page

Negro League Baseball Museum/American Jazz Museum in Kansas City (They're in the same building)

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
http://www.americanjazzmuseum.com/Si...2&DocName=Home

Banneker-Douglass Museum in Baltimore

http://www.bdmuseum.com/

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History

Stax Museum of American Soul Music in Memphis

Stax Museum of American soul music artists records exhibits merchandise in Memphis

I'd be a bit surprised if all these are only visited by Whites and Asians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,447,681 times
Reputation: 5517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't know what zoos and museums have to do with traveling in particular, but just because I don't see many Latinos at these places when I visit, must I conclude that Latinos don't like culture or traveling?

Some of y'all are either living in a bubble or don't know many Black folks personally. Or maybe a combination of the two, because some of this crap being spewed here is simply ludicrous.
Don't even go there.. I am on your side. I was raised with Hispanics and Black people in The Bronx NY, which the majority of the people that are in The Bronx are Black or Hispanic, and few White people. Now, I just gave an honest answer. Also, I agree with you that in the Zoo's or museums I do not see that many Hispanics. It is true. Lastly, I always thought that Hispanics and Blacks are in the same struggle. I am not concluding anything, I just state it how I see it.

Also I advice you to read this article so that you can know what I am talking about.

http://www.puertoricanchicago.com/es...estilo-hip-hop

Last edited by nycricanpapi; 11-15-2009 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,285,868 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
There are lots of ignorant white folks on CD. Don't waste your time trying to educate them. Let them be whom they are.

It's a No-Win debate.

I will say, I see a lot of these "About African American's" threads on City Data. I guess the white folks that start these threads have to focus their attention on the so-called short comings of blacks because it's to hard to look in the mirror at themselves.

God Bless them, I guess......
There are lots of ignorant people of all colors on city-date and also in real life. There is no need to be offensive just because someone else is doing so, especially online - where there IS no skin color. It's no more ignorant from one side than it is from the other.

Are you sure it's "white folks" starting all of these threads? I've seen them started by all kinds of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,285,868 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I know, it's not just black issues even. I remember a awhile back people were discussing "how come you never see Asians at Wal-Mart or the Mall?" And they were seriously discussing it like it was something real needing explanation.

I don't remember my response but I think it was something like "I'm pretty sure I've Asians at the Mall or Wal-Mart." That was probably an attempt at tact. I think my initial feeling was more like "What the heck are you talking about?" And now it's "you never see blacks at a museum or zoo." I don't go to museums or zoos often enough to judge, but I'm skeptical that's true or at least that it's always true. There are museums that specifically concern black history and culture or are in cities that are majority black.

National Museum of African American History and Culture in DC

NMAAHC - Home Page

Negro League Baseball Museum/American Jazz Museum in Kansas City (They're in the same building)

Negro Leagues Baseball Museum
http://www.americanjazzmuseum.com/Si...2&DocName=Home

Banneker-Douglass Museum in Baltimore

http://www.bdmuseum.com/

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History in Detroit

Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History

Stax Museum of American Soul Music in Memphis

Stax Museum of American soul music artists records exhibits merchandise in Memphis

I'd be a bit surprised if all these are only visited by Whites and Asians.
There are a couple in Atlanta...

Welcome to The APEX Museum

The King Center

Spelman College: Museum of Fine Art (http://www.museum.spelman.edu/museum/index.shtml - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top