Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,785,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Don't even go there.. I am on your side. I was raised with Hispanics and Black people in The Bronx NY, which the majority of the people that are in The Bronx are Black or Hispanic, and few White people. Now, I just gave an honest answer. Also, I agree with you that in the Zoo's or museums I do not see that many Hispanics. It is true. Lastly, I always thought that Hispanics and Blacks are in the same struggle. I am not concluding anything, I just state it how I see it.

Also I advice you to read this article so that you can know what I am talking about.

From Bomba to Hip-Hop: Bomba al Estilo Hip Hop | Puerto Rican Chicago
Dude, don't even try it. You clearly stated, "Maybe is because many of them are not interested in traveling?" based on some vague experiences at a museum and a zoo. So if I travel to the NC Zoo in Asheboro or visit the Mint Museum here in Charlotte and see just a few Blacks, it's logical to make the jump to, "Oh, I suppose Black folks just like staying home all the time"? That is the most inane reasoning I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 12:07 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,660,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Dude, don't even try it. You clearly stated, "Maybe is because many of them are not interested in traveling?" based on some vague experiences at a museum and a zoo. So if I travel to the NC Zoo in Asheboro or visit the Mint Museum here in Charlotte and see just a few Blacks, it's logical to make the jump to, "Oh, I suppose Black folks just like staying home all the time"? That is the most inane reasoning I've ever heard.
Ok I get what you are saying. White people tend to be more educated than the Black Americans folks. For the purpose of this thread I will only just talk about Black American folks. There may be Black Americans that are educated but not in a large amount like the other ethnic groups, mainly White Americans. Many of the Black people are not doing anything for themselves. Hence, they would not be interested in exploring other places of the world. I am not trying to put the Black people down, but it is just a fact. I have many Black friends in NYC. I just wish there will be more educated Black Americans folks like Obama, Collin Powell, Joycelyn Elders, Al Sharpton etc..

Old 11-16-2009, 12:27 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,721,268 times
Quote:
Don't even go there.. I am on your side. I was raised with Hispanics and Black people in The Bronx NY, which the majority of the people that are in The Bronx are Black or Hispanic, and few White people. Now, I just gave an honest answer. Also, I agree with you that in the Zoo's or museums I do not see that many Hispanics. It is true. Lastly, I always thought that Hispanics and Blacks are in the same struggle. I am not concluding anything, I just state it how I see it.

Also I advice you to read this article so that you can know what I am talking about.

From Bomba to Hip-Hop: Bomba al Estilo Hip Hop | Puerto Rican Chicago
AH HA!!I hate to go here.But NOW you see how I felt when Daily Journalist and you chimed in with your remarks in that infamous how he TRIED to say "i wanted more black people out of Atlanta",and you both inferred that (even though I stated I was black),that somehow I was lying and was a racist.By the way the gentleman thing to have done was to retract and apologize for you remarks which you never really did.Just goes to show you how Karma works.

Last edited by afonega1; 11-16-2009 at 01:26 AM..

Old 11-16-2009, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are lots of ignorant people of all colors on city-date and also in real life. There is no need to be offensive just because someone else is doing so, especially online - where there IS no skin color. It's no more ignorant from one side than it is from the other.

Are you sure it's "white folks" starting all of these threads? I've seen them started by all kinds of people.
I agree.Just gives people like Scraper-City-Fan,and questionable others(the verdict is out on some I choose to withhold by name at the moment)to start a bickering war on race.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Ok I get what you are saying. White people tend to be more educated than the Black Americans folks. For the purpose of this thread I will only just talk about Black American folks. There may be Black Americans that are educated but not in a large amount like the other ethnic groups, mainly White Americans. Many of the Black people are not doing anything for themselves. Hence, they would not be interested in exploring other places of the world. I am not trying to put the Black people down, but it is just a fact. I have many Black friends in NYC. I just wish there will be more educated Black Americans folks like Obama, Collin Powell, Joycelyn Elders, Al Sharpton etc..
Moderator cut: see comment Im sorry but that was an idiotic statement.This is why I think New Yorkers are out of touch!You think because of your mostly experience of African Americans in NYC,that must be the "creme of the crop" in America?Washington D.C. and Atlanta are neck and neck for the most educated blacks with the highest per capita incomes in the U.S.Dallas,Houston,Los Angeles,Detroit(believe it or not),Chicago are also some of the cities with high number of highly educated blacks with black companies/firms,politicians,CEOS,Doctors,Professors,etc....
The Selig Center used Census data in from 1990 and came out with a report that basically placed Black American wealth in this country ranked(cant remember the exact rank number)just after Italy.That means the Black American wealth by itself in 1990 had a per capita GDP/and national GDP would rank behind Italy.Imagine what it is today as it has grown enormously.Dude I sorry,you may be from NYC ,but there is an AMERICA that looks nothing like NYC.You only need to travel a few hours upstate New York to the capital in Albany and you will see.

Contrary and popular belief,the poverty rate among A.A. and Hispanics(of any race) in America is triple that of whites at roughly 26%.Thats hardly the majorityy of blacks.
Poverty rate for African Americans: 26.1 percent
Poverty rate for Asians and Pacific Islanders: 12.5 percent
Poverty rate for Hispanics of any race: 25.6 percent
Poverty rate for non-Hispanic whites: 8.2 percent

Education wise Blacks are more educated in D.C.and Atlanta than NYC overall.And in all those cities the disparities while are obvious,there are a lot of similarities with there 'white" or mainstream counterparts.Im not saying that the amount of minorities doing poorly is not cause for concern,but to paint such a wide brush is disingenuous at best.I suggest if you truly want to be aware of what is REALLY going on,do more digging before you make very inaccurate and misleading post.

Last edited by Bo; 11-16-2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 11-16-2009, 01:53 AM

36,920 posts, read 38,838,960 times
^I agree with you.

Also: it is common to put a space between sentences as it makes things easier to read.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment .Im sorry but that was an idiotic statement.This is why I think New Yorkers are out of touch!You think because of your mostly experience of African Americans in NYC,that must be the "creme of the crop" in America?Washington D.C. and Atlanta are neck and neck for the most educated blacks with the highest per capita incomes in the U.S.Dallas,Houston,Los Angeles,Detroit(believe it or not),Chicago are also some of the cities with high number of highly educated blacks with black companies/firms,politicians,CEOS,Doctors,Professors,etc....
The Selig Center used Census data in from 1990 and came out with a report that basically placed Black American wealth in this country ranked(cant remember the exact rank number)just after Italy.That means the Black American wealth by itself in 1990 had a per capita GDP/and national GDP would rank behind Italy.Imagine what it is today as it has grown enormously.Dude I sorry,you may be from NYC ,but there is an AMERICA that looks nothing like NYC.You only need to travel a few hours upstate New York to the capital in Albany and you will see.

Contrary and popular belief,the poverty rate among A.A. and Hispanics(of any race) in America is triple that of whites at roughly 26%.Thats hardly the majorityy of blacks.
Poverty rate for African Americans: 26.1 percent
Poverty rate for Asians and Pacific Islanders: 12.5 percent
Poverty rate for Hispanics of any race: 25.6 percent
Poverty rate for non-Hispanic whites: 8.2 percent

Education wise Blacks are more educated in D.C.and Atlanta than NYC overall.And in all those cities the disparities while are obvious,there are a lot of similarities with there 'white" or mainstream counterparts.Im not saying that the amount of minorities doing poorly is not cause for concern,but to paint such a wide brush is disingenuous at best.I suggest if you truly want to be aware of what is REALLY going on,do more digging before you make very inaccurate and misleading post.
And You Moderator cut: see comment for thinking that I am only basing my statements on my experiences in NYC when I am not. If you go to every state who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right? Who do you see most in a wellfare line? Black right? So is in the whole US. Also I was only mentioning Blacks for the purpose of this thread that the question of this thread is "Do African Americans travel ...." Because I know that many Hispanics are poor and lives in the same 'hoods' that Black American live.

Last edited by Bo; 11-16-2009 at 08:53 AM.. Reason: Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,024,466 times
Quote:
And You have got to be the biggest idiot for thinking that I am only basing my statements on my experiences in NYC when I am not. If you go to every state who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right? Who do you see most in a wellfare line? Black right? So is in the whole US. Also I was only mentioning Blacks for the purpose of this thread that the question of this thread is "Do African Americans travel ...." Because I know that many Hispanics are poor and lives in the same 'hoods' that Black American live.
I'm glad I don't live in NYC.

Whites have the largest population of people living in poverty, like 48%. But due to their majority status, it's 8% as a whole.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:03 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,785,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
I'm glad I don't live in NYC.

Whites have the largest population of people living in poverty, like 48%. But due to their majority status, it's 8% as a whole.
That's totally beyond Moderator cut: see comment comprehension. Moderator cut: see comment By bringing up stuff like welfare and incarceration, his true colors are beginning to shine through, big time. "If you go to every state, who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right?" Oh yes, every state of the union, even those with small Black populations, have Blacks crowding the place according to his extremely flawed logic. Check out Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nebraska, Oregon, New Mexico, etc.--Black folks just stinking up the joint. And since when do you need a college degree to travel??? Traveling can be associated with several things--visiting family and friends, business-related travel, religious gatherings, etc. I did loads of traveling while I was just a high school and college student myself. Man, I suppose for some people, living in the NYC superhoods really blinds you to what's going on in the rest of the country.

Last edited by Bo; 11-16-2009 at 08:54 AM.. Reason: Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility.

Old 11-16-2009, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment By bringing up stuff like welfare and incarceration, his true colors are beginning to shine through, big time. "If you go to every state, who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right?" Oh yes, every state of the union, even those with small Black populations, have Blacks crowding the place according to his extremely flawed logic. Check out Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nebraska, Oregon, New Mexico, etc.--Black folks just stinking up the joint. And since when do you need a college degree to travel??? Traveling can be associated with several things--visiting family and friends, business-related travel, religious gatherings, etc. I did loads of traveling while I was just a high school and college student myself. Man, I suppose for some people, living in the NYC superhoods really blinds you to what's going on in the rest of the country.
What true colors? the true colors when I am saying the truth? What I am saying here is that Educated people travel more than those that are uneducated, because they want to explore different environments. Those who are uneducated tend to stay in the hood hustling. If you are from the 'hood' like I am. I was raised in the 'hood' of the bronx. You will know what I am talking about. All my friends who I went to school with, they are still in the corners selling drugs or even dead, and many of them have not even been to the other parts of NY, because they do not know any better than to hustle. So please.... I know what I am talking about.

Last edited by Bo; 11-16-2009 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: updated quote to match original
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.