U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:48 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,326,275 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
What true colors? the true colors when I am saying the truth? What I am saying here is that Educated people travel more than those that are uneducated, because they want to explore different environments. Those who are uneducated tend to stay in the hood hustling. If you are from the 'hood' like I am. I was raised in the 'hood' of the bronx. You will know what I am talking about. All my friends who I went to school with, they are still in the corners selling drugs or even dead, and many of them have not even been to the other parts of NY, because they do not know any better than to hustle. So please.... I know what I am talking about.
You're not saying "the truth," you've got a whole lot of unfounded, ignorant assumptions because you don't know what you're talking about. You've obviously been sheltered in NYC. Now you've relegated all uneducated people to being Black and Brown people living in "da hood." *tsk, tsk* You just dig yourself in a deeper hole each time.

Hopefully one day, you'll learn that there's a whole 'nother world outside of NYC and what happens there doesn't necessarily reflect what's going on elsewhere in the country. And I'm not sure what it says about you if ALL of your friends you went to school with are drug dealers or dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:51 AM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 13,985,405 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
There are lots of ignorant people of all colors on city-date and also in real life. There is no need to be offensive just because someone else is doing so, especially online - where there IS no skin color. It's no more ignorant from one side than it is from the other.

Are you sure it's "white folks" starting all of these threads? I've seen them started by all kinds of people.
I said white and that's what I meant. If it had been blacks, I would have said blacks. I don't get into taking sides when it comes to race. I call it like I see it. If I had the feeling it was started by blacks, I would have said the exact same thing. I have called out blacks on this forum as well. Do a search for some of my threads, you'll see that I don't play the race card game, I call a spade a SPADE.

If it's not you cup of tea, I'll let it be your problem not mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 07:56 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,822 posts, read 33,209,949 times
Reputation: 13610
Some posts above were edited. A reminder of the Terms of Service is needed:

Quote:
Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
Final Warning: The personal attacks must stop or the thread will be closed. Stick to refuting each other's facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,287,307 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
And You Moderator cut: see comment for thinking that I am only basing my statements on my experiences in NYC when I am not. If you go to every state who do you see mainly in the jails? Blacks right? Who do you see most in a wellfare line? Black right? So is in the whole US. Also I was only mentioning Blacks for the purpose of this thread that the question of this thread is "Do African Americans travel ...." Because I know that many Hispanics are poor and lives in the same 'hoods' that Black American live.
My point is that just because you may SEE something does not make it reality.If you make statements like that and try to pass them off as anything remotely as the truth,you make yourself look bad for not being accurate.

Of course blacks and minorities will represent higher numbers than whites in those categories you mentioned.That however does not mean that MOST as YOU said are poor and not "doing anything with their lives".Most of the places I have been in the U.S. I see and know what you say is very one sided.The majority of African Americans are NOT in jail or have been in jail.Thats just ludicrous.Just admit it,you made a common mistake people do,and that is stereotype by making a one sided blanket comment.Just because you go to many places does not mean you learn all there is to know about what those places are about without seeking more knowledge of the people that live there.Of course you notice those in jail,because too many people only focus on the NEGATIVE.Based off how you answer every poll and every question that I have ever seen you answer,it always has NYC or Miami.Miami when NYC is not an option.Gee I wonder why Miami or NYC?I know and you know.

I apologize for calling you a name,it was a nee-jerk reaction.Everything else I meant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
7 posts, read 14,516 times
Reputation: 20
Jay,

I will give you my educated guess, although I am sure some people will get on my case for this. I lived in atl for ten years and had an abundance of African American friends.
There is less "exploration" and "curiosity" for practical, cultural and socioeconomic reasons among many African American families.
African Americans mostly come from slavery and repression in the past of our country, in case you didn't know that. Many are still trying to climb the socioeconomic ladder to the level in which travel is an affordable option for "entertainment" or "educational" purposes. So, even those who can afford to travel are in a network and culture of others who cannot, so as a result they don't take much interest either. Thus, travel is not considered as much a part of African Culture as it is in white American culture. That said, there are plenty of affluent African Americans who love to travel. But aside from relocations due to Katrina, you will notice MOST African Americans are comfortable among their people in the towns they grew up in, just like most Americans. It is also not as easy for an African American to uproot as it is for a white American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,268,700 times
Reputation: 2782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I said white and that's what I meant. If it had been blacks, I would have said blacks. I don't get into taking sides when it comes to race. I call it like I see it. If I had the feeling it was started by blacks, I would have said the exact same thing. I have called out blacks on this forum as well. Do a search for some of my threads, you'll see that I don't play the race card game, I call a spade a SPADE.

If it's not you cup of tea, I'll let it be your problem not mine.
Well...whatever you're doing or not doing, your racist observation is incorrect. "Calling it like you see it" doesn't make it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
802 posts, read 1,745,586 times
Reputation: 364
Blacks are just a curious and explorative as all other races in America. Being poor does not make a person not want to travel. they might want to just not be able to. Socioeconomic have some to do with travel but not a alot. I can give you some of my experience.

I would say my family was poor until I was about the age of 13. when I say poor I mean we barely had food to feed my siblings and Me. (If anyone from Charlotte and you know about the NoDa area of Charlotte in the 90's than you really know how poor I was). moved to more than 20 places by 13, Lived in Mississippi, Colorado, North Carolina, and Illinois. but with all that moving I can say that we had been to every Large City in all the states that I lived in,every state park in NC visited theme parks in the larger cities. Been to Florida Beaches. just some of the things I have done as a poor black person.

I would say blacks travel alot they just dont go to very expensive tourist areas. Most of the places I've been were free, or really cheap.

And 1 more thing if you were to stand in a airport with 100 people that directly correlated only 13 people would be black a small number out of 100.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,326,275 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by marma View Post
Jay,

I will give you my educated guess, although I am sure some people will get on my case for this. I lived in atl for ten years and had an abundance of African American friends.
There is less "exploration" and "curiosity" for practical, cultural and socioeconomic reasons among many African American families.
African Americans mostly come from slavery and repression in the past of our country, in case you didn't know that. Many are still trying to climb the socioeconomic ladder to the level in which travel is an affordable option for "entertainment" or "educational" purposes. So, even those who can afford to travel are in a network and culture of others who cannot, so as a result they don't take much interest either. Thus, travel is not considered as much a part of African Culture as it is in white American culture. That said, there are plenty of affluent African Americans who love to travel. But aside from relocations due to Katrina, you will notice MOST African Americans are comfortable among their people in the towns they grew up in, just like most Americans. It is also not as easy for an African American to uproot as it is for a white American.
I'm really trying to understand what this connection between being affluent and traveling is. Now if the OP was talking about international travel or traveling to exotic destinations, then I could understand the connection, but he's basing his assumption on seeing very few Blacks certain times in two airports, half of the time being on flights to cities with relatively few Black residents. I've done my fair share of traveling domestically--mostly by automobile, a few times by air--and I'm not affluent by any stretch of the imagination, and the same is true for practically all of my family and Black friends. There are various reasons for traveling: business, visiting family and friends, conventions (civic, religious, or general interest), leisure, etc., and much of this is done by regular, middle-class folks, not people making six figures a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
 
4,953 posts, read 8,537,792 times
Reputation: 2067
I am black and I just got off the GreyHound from Barbados! It was a great trip! OMG - Are you people really that ignorant? Black people don't like scenery? Black people this! Black people that! The ability to travel is based upon your income, not your race or the color of your skin. More than likely, poor people travel less (air travel) because they do not posses the means. I can definitely tell the educational level of many of you based upon your idiotic post. To the OP!How can you make an evaluation based upon your short stint at an airport.

I went to Ghana in 2007 and I did not see any Asians. Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that Asians don't like Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,467 posts, read 8,437,669 times
Reputation: 5512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
You're not saying "the truth," you've got a whole lot of unfounded, ignorant assumptions because you don't know what you're talking about. You've obviously been sheltered in NYC. Now you've relegated all uneducated people to being Black and Brown people living in "da hood." *tsk, tsk* You just dig yourself in a deeper hole each time.

Hopefully one day, you'll learn that there's a whole 'nother world outside of NYC and what happens there doesn't necessarily reflect what's going on elsewhere in the country. And I'm not sure what it says about you if ALL of your friends you went to school with are drug dealers or dead.
Hmmmm I will stop to argue with you, because you are not seeing my point of view. You only want to see your point of view... Have a nice Monday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top