U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,358,489 times
Reputation: 2698

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Hmmmm I will stop to argue with you, because you are not seeing my point of view. You only want to see your point of view.
That's because your "point of view" is extremely limited and you're attempting to make it the norm. If it's things are truly that bad among Blacks in NYC as you describe, no wonder they're moving down here to the South in droves. That kind of bucks against your "NYC is the best city for everyone on earth for everything" attitude, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Springfield VA
4,037 posts, read 8,093,028 times
Reputation: 1499
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Yes. I assume blacks who are upper class or the upper middle class travel often, they're less concerned on race, and sometimes tend to interact with other groups.

I guess blacks who don't have the privilege tend to travel less than their upper counterparts.

That's my take on it.
Well that's with any race that doesn't have the money though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Bronx, NY
4,469 posts, read 8,453,897 times
Reputation: 5522
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
My point is that just because you may SEE something does not make it reality.If you make statements like that and try to pass them off as anything remotely as the truth,you make yourself look bad for not being accurate.

Of course blacks and minorities will represent higher numbers than whites in those categories you mentioned.That however does not mean that MOST as YOU said are poor and not "doing anything with their lives".Most of the places I have been in the U.S. I see and know what you say is very one sided.The majority of African Americans are NOT in jail or have been in jail.Thats just ludicrous.Just admit it,you made a common mistake people do,and that is stereotype by making a one sided blanket comment.Just because you go to many places does not mean you learn all there is to know about what those places are about without seeking more knowledge of the people that live there.Of course you notice those in jail,because too many people only focus on the NEGATIVE.Based off how you answer every poll and every question that I have ever seen you answer,it always has NYC or Miami.Miami when NYC is not an option.Gee I wonder why Miami or NYC?I know and you know.

I apologize for calling you a name,it was a nee-jerk reaction.Everything else I meant.
It is reality, because everywhere I go is the same thing.... Doesn't that makes it reality? You and AKhenaton are not getting my point. I don't know if you are blocking yourself from reality, or you do not want to agree with me. However, I will not argue with you anymore because I can see that you will never see my point of view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,315,122 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
^I agree with you.

Also: it is common to put a space between sentences as it makes things easier to read.
Thanks for the advice.It was like 2 am and I was highly irritated.Even though I know better I must admit details are not always my strongest suit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,315,122 times
Reputation: 2934
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
It is reality, because everywhere I go is the same thing.... Doesn't that makes it reality? You and AKhenaton are not getting my point. I don't know if you are blocking yourself from reality, or you do not want to agree with me. However, I will not argue with you anymore because I can see that you will never see my point of view.
REALITY def.:"the state of things as they actually exist."Thats YOUR reality to YOU is what we are trying to get you to understand.The rest of the definition says this:" the term denotes what is real; in "its widest sense".Your view is very limited.It would be different if you supported what you were saying with some hard core facts.Yet, all you keep saying is "that is what I see".That,my friend is not reality.That is your environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: Ohio
16,832 posts, read 33,269,423 times
Reputation: 13650
Since this is not a competition, the degree to which another member is wrong is not important, nor is it on-topic. It might even be a thread hijack, according to this section of the Terms of Service:

Quote:
Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.
If you've contributed your opinion or your facts, consider that you might have contributed as much as you'll be able to contribute to this thread. To help everyone get back on topic here's a reminder of the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJay View Post
Hi there,

I went to the U.S. last summer for first time. Spent the most time in Atlanta, which is predominantly African American. However, 99% of the tourists on the airport have been ''non-black''. I just wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 02:44 PM
 
Location: In my view finder.....
8,521 posts, read 14,014,479 times
Reputation: 8079
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well...whatever you're doing or not doing, your racist observation is incorrect. "Calling it like you see it" doesn't make it right.
Home can my observation be incorrect if it's my observation. If I told my stomach hurts, would you tell me " No It doesn't?". I don't think you would.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine but don't tell me it's incorrect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 03:44 PM
 
Location: Virginia Beach/Norfolk.
1,556 posts, read 3,848,353 times
Reputation: 417
I'm Black. And I think that it has to do with how much $$ you have. I travel A LOT! Been all over. But I also have family members that have never left their respective cities. I don't think it has anything to do with race. It's all about $$.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 03:49 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 18,296,464 times
Reputation: 2785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Home can my observation be incorrect if it's my observation. If I told my stomach hurts, would you tell me " No It doesn't?". I don't think you would.

If you don't agree with me, that's fine but don't tell me it's incorrect.
I didn't say your opinion is incorrect...I said, "Calling it like you see it" doesn't make it right. The way we see things is often influenced by outside factors. Some people see things from a racist point of view, but just because they see it that way doesn't make it okay (or right, or acceptable).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2009, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Long Island/NYC
11,334 posts, read 17,137,312 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Moderator cut: see comment Im sorry but that was an idiotic statement.This is why I think New Yorkers are out of touch!You think because of your mostly experience of African Americans in NYC,that must be the "creme of the crop" in America?Washington D.C. and Atlanta are neck and neck for the most educated blacks with the highest per capita incomes in the U.S.Dallas,Houston,Los Angeles,Detroit(believe it or not),Chicago are also some of the cities with high number of highly educated blacks with black companies/firms,politicians,CEOS,Doctors,Professors,etc....
The Selig Center used Census data in from 1990 and came out with a report that basically placed Black American wealth in this country ranked(cant remember the exact rank number)just after Italy.That means the Black American wealth by itself in 1990 had a per capita GDP/and national GDP would rank behind Italy.Imagine what it is today as it has grown enormously.Dude I sorry,you may be from NYC ,but there is an AMERICA that looks nothing like NYC.You only need to travel a few hours upstate New York to the capital in Albany and you will see.

Contrary and popular belief,the poverty rate among A.A. and Hispanics(of any race) in America is triple that of whites at roughly 26%.Thats hardly the majorityy of blacks.
Poverty rate for African Americans: 26.1 percent
Poverty rate for Asians and Pacific Islanders: 12.5 percent
Poverty rate for Hispanics of any race: 25.6 percent
Poverty rate for non-Hispanic whites: 8.2 percent

Education wise Blacks are more educated in D.C.and Atlanta than NYC overall.And in all those cities the disparities while are obvious,there are a lot of similarities with there 'white" or mainstream counterparts.Im not saying that the amount of minorities doing poorly is not cause for concern,but to paint such a wide brush is disingenuous at best.I suggest if you truly want to be aware of what is REALLY going on,do more digging before you make very inaccurate and misleading post.
I agree, I know from first hand experience that DC is far ahead of NYC. I lived in Silver Spring, MD (borders DC to the north), I was in the 1st grade at the time, when we moved back to NYC (I was in the 2nd grade) my new school wanted to place me in the 4th grade because I was performing on that level, both schools were in Black neighborhoods. I find it ridiculous and scary how far behind NYC is. I know by education you probably meant college but even elementary schools are lagging behind. I'm sure Atlanta is about equal with DC.

Not all New Yorkers are out of touch, I know what time it is (*cough*time to get out of NYC*cough*) lol. I like NYC, I was born here but in my opinion its not a great place to live for most Black people.

I don't want to get too off topic but I'm Black and I travel, I currently live in a working class/middle class/poor neighborhood (but not for long).

I think its dumb to place everyone into groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top