U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2009, 10:06 AM
 
369 posts, read 1,837,350 times
Reputation: 220

Advertisements

Long story short:

I used to live in Massachusetts.. I got tired of the miserable winters and outrageous cost of living... I moved to Phoenix.. It's much cheaper here and is always sunny out. Phoenix has been good to me, but I don't want to stay here after my lease is up. I hate all the dust and I've felt out of place since the day I arrived. It's odd.. I can't explain it. ( no diss to Phoenix, it's just not my cup of tea )

Anyways, I'm an electrician. Licensed in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I want to move some place where I can make a good living off of 40 or 50g's a year. My girlfriend is a Phlebotomist.. She makes about 30 g's a year..

Combined we would make around 70g's a year in most parts of the country.

I'm just wondering where we could make a good living on that amount of money. I'd like to be a little closer to home as well. I know your probably wondering about our interests and hobbies.. We tend to make due with what we got. We enjoy sports, music, pubs, theater, and outdoors. In Boston we took advantage of pretty much everything the city had to offer.. Same thing in Phoenix..

We recently visited Denver and had a blast. That city will be on our list. I guess I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want a rent/mortgage to be around 1000 bucks a month give or take.. For a 3 BR, 2B house with a grassy backyard..



I know this thread must sound insane, but I'm getting ready to leave for work.. I look forward to reading suggestions! I wish we could have stayed in Boston, but it's tough making it on such low income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2009, 10:14 AM
 
Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,455,793 times
Reputation: 1942
I had an electrician friend in Houston who used to fly out to Las Vegas for months at a time for contract work then fly back home. He said work and pay were great there, but I guess it wasn't steady? I don't know anything more specific than that, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Dayton, OH/Portland, OR
398 posts, read 1,163,152 times
Reputation: 207
I have a relative in the Fresno, CA area who is an electrician and he is not doing half bad for himself. He now owns his own company. But since Arizona is no longer your "thing", I'm not sure that Fresno would be either!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:33 PM
 
21,200 posts, read 30,396,116 times
Reputation: 19635
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
Long story short:

I used to live in Massachusetts.. I got tired of the miserable winters and outrageous cost of living... I moved to Phoenix.. It's much cheaper here and is always sunny out. Phoenix has been good to me, but I don't want to stay here after my lease is up. I hate all the dust and I've felt out of place since the day I arrived. It's odd.. I can't explain it. ( no diss to Phoenix, it's just not my cup of tea )

Anyways, I'm an electrician. Licensed in the states of Massachusetts and New Hampshire. I want to move some place where I can make a good living off of 40 or 50g's a year. My girlfriend is a Phlebotomist.. She makes about 30 g's a year..

Combined we would make around 70g's a year in most parts of the country.

I'm just wondering where we could make a good living on that amount of money. I'd like to be a little closer to home as well. I know your probably wondering about our interests and hobbies.. We tend to make due with what we got. We enjoy sports, music, pubs, theater, and outdoors. In Boston we took advantage of pretty much everything the city had to offer.. Same thing in Phoenix..

We recently visited Denver and had a blast. That city will be on our list. I guess I'm looking for the best bang for my buck. I want a rent/mortgage to be around 1000 bucks a month give or take.. For a 3 BR, 2B house with a grassy backyard..



I know this thread must sound insane, but I'm getting ready to leave for work.. I look forward to reading suggestions! I wish we could have stayed in Boston, but it's tough making it on such low income.
You might check out Nashville. It has a lot of things to do, a low cost of living and more importantly jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2009, 08:48 PM
 
1,247 posts, read 3,431,312 times
Reputation: 556
Rochester, NY seems like a good pick. So does Pittsburgh, Indy, Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:02 PM
 
369 posts, read 1,837,350 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Rochester, NY seems like a good pick. So does Pittsburgh, Indy, Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinnati.
It's funny because I was talking to my GF last night about checking out pittsburgh and rochester.. May I ask what makes you suggest these locations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,954 posts, read 4,507,309 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
It's funny because I was talking to my GF last night about checking out pittsburgh and rochester.. May I ask what makes you suggest these locations?
I was also going to suggest Pittsburgh, as well as Cleveland. They have a very low cost of living, traditional neighborhoods with character, corner pubs, pro sports, parkland with greenery, good cultural amenities, and are close to Boston/the northeast. You could easily buy the type of house you are looking for at your target mortgage in those cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:57 PM
 
369 posts, read 1,837,350 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I was also going to suggest Pittsburgh, as well as Cleveland. They have a very low cost of living, traditional neighborhoods with character, corner pubs, pro sports, parkland with greenery, good cultural amenities, and are close to Boston/the northeast. You could easily buy the type of house you are looking for at your target mortgage in those cities.

A friend of mine here in AZ is from clevland.. Says nothing but bad things about it.. How bad could it be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
1,954 posts, read 4,507,309 times
Reputation: 1817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Warmer View Post
A friend of mine here in AZ is from clevland.. Says nothing but bad things about it.. How bad could it be
I grew up close to Cleveland and Pittsburgh, and neither are bad places. A lot of Clevelanders are overly negative toward their city, so what your friend says does not surprise me. Don't listen to everything your friend has to say though. Parts of Cleveland are really run down, but as long as you do not live in those areas it is a non-issue. Cleveland actually has a lot of amenities that are comparable to what one would find in larger cities and there are plenty of good areas to live in.

For instance check this area out. You can get a good house there for $150k, and it is a really nice area.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiiZWJn00ms

Also, Cleveland was just ranked 6th in the nation for cultural amenities

America's Favorite Cities 2009 | Categories | Culture - Travel + Leisure (http://www.travelandleisure.com/afc/2009/category/13/ - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 04:54 PM
 
1,247 posts, read 3,431,312 times
Reputation: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Lakes View Post
I was also going to suggest Pittsburgh, as well as Cleveland. They have a very low cost of living, traditional neighborhoods with character, corner pubs, pro sports, parkland with greenery, good cultural amenities, and are close to Boston/the northeast. You could easily buy the type of house you are looking for at your target mortgage in those cities.
This basically sums up why I suggested them, and then some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top