U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 11:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 3,278,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
I bet if it was "Shrimp and Polenta," people who hate grits would gobble them right up.
What the hell is Polenta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 11:26 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,158,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Basically, the Italian version of grits.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,465,585 times
Quote:
Let me google that for you

Old 11-19-2009, 02:01 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
Quote:

sounds like placenta, I seen it in a store once, and I was thinking, "why would anyone want to eat this"

Old 11-19-2009, 02:10 PM

5,413 posts, read 7,713,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Grits, no. Cornbread, maybe?

I mean, I put sweet corn in my hush puppies, which on a chemical level contains a fair amount of sugar. I suppose if I was to use maize corn and sugar, it would be the same thing.

The secret to cornbread is sour cream, btw.

Hellman's is mediocre, I wouldn't eat that either. Duke's is the only mayo worth eating.

Well, you're missing out. Most Yankees can't get over the name "Grits," they seem think it is made with diseased rats or something. Or they stop at a waffle house, order grits, and eat them plain - which is like eating a big bowl of boiled noodles, with no seasoning or sauce, and calling it Italian food. There is a saying: "Giving Northerners unbuttered instant grits is an old remedy for getting rid of tourists."

I made a huge batch of shrimp and grits this weekend for a dinner party. I did it the traditional way and it took me about 4 hours. Served it to people from all over the place, many who'd never eaten grits before. A lady from London ate 3 plates of it! And this stuff is rich.

Ah.. but grits come in both.
>>>>>
Hellman's is mediocre, I wouldn't eat that either. Duke's is the only mayo worth eating.
<<<<<

It all smells/tastes nasty to me. I can't even eat Miracle Whip. All that stuff does is just make me nauseas.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,139,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
<<<<<

It all smells/tastes nasty to me. I can't even eat Miracle Whip. All that stuff does is just make me nauseas.
If were gonna go condiments, then BluePlate wins when it comes to Mayonnaise.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:15 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,278,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
sounds like placenta, I seen it in a store once, and I was thinking, "why would anyone want to eat this"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Basically, the Italian version of grits.
Thanks for the answers lol.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 PM

7,415 posts, read 10,080,587 times
Texas Reb -- great thread discussion and very sorry I am late to the party.

From my Georgia roots, sugar has no place in either of these. My one point that I would bring out and would like your comment on is how more often I find sweet cornbread here in Texas than I ever did back in the southeastern corner of the country. Glad to find that it is not actually a Texas thing. My inlaws seem to like sweet corbread, but they are from the panhandle and sort of removed from other more southern aspects of Texas. Having it sweet is horrific as cornbread is to go with things like beans and greens that need something to sop up the pot liquor (or is it licker?).

Here is the best way we used cornbread. Crumble it up on your plate, then but a generous helping of any kind of bean that has been cooked with a good amount of pork seasoning (pinto, navy, great northern, blackeyed, field, etc) and has plenty of good pot liquor. Pour plenty of that juice so the cornbread soaks it up. Then dice up vidalia onion and tomato and maybe some hot pepper on top.

On the side, have your favorite greens (collard, turnip, kale, etc) and a good amount of pepper sauce... the kind in the tall skinny jar with the little peppers soaking in vinegar. Pour copious amounts of this on the greens. A tall glass of sweet tea and you have the best meal ever.

As for grits, lots of grated cheese and butter, a fried egg with the yellow still runny (scrambled will do) and either bacon or sausage patties. Put this all on a plate and mash it up in one unsightly looking mush. Tabasco or Cholula is good if you are in the mood. Man I am making myself hungry!

Mama would sometimes have grits at supper with fish as well. I remember fish sticks and grits for supper. She would also do as someone mentioned earlier, take the leftover grits from breakfast, and after they congealed in the fridge make little cakes out of them and pan fry those for a nice side dish.

If you want sugar and cream and cinnamon in a hot cereal, that is why God made Cream of Wheat or Oatmeal. If you want sugar in your bread, that is why God made Pound Cake or Little Debbies.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,461,492 times
I have eaten greens with the pepper sauce, but that sauce is nasty, I prefer them just plain.

I didnt grow up in the South but my mom made corn bread often with beans and other stuff but she never put sugar in it.

what do people on here think of the food at cracker barrell?
I will say one thing, I had better biscuits and gravy at Mcdonalds

Old 11-20-2009, 10:06 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,229,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
what do people on here think of the food at cracker barrell?
Mediocre at best, an abomination at worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.