U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 AM

444 posts, read 1,029,189 times

Advertisements

Im not going to get in it with you guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:11 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Mediocre at best, an abomination at worst.

its really bland to me, the chicken fried steak has no taste, the gravy has a little taste, their biscuits are just alright, the catfish barely has any flavor and the okra is descent.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:26 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,710,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
its really bland to me, the chicken fried steak has no taste, the gravy has a little taste, their biscuits are just alright, the catfish barely has any flavor and the okra is descent.
I'd say it's average or a tad above. Nothing special, but I think their breakfast is decent.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:32 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,457,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'd say it's average or a tad above. Nothing special, but I think their breakfast is decent.
yeah, their breakfast is decent, but breakfast is a hard thing to screw up, really I have never ate gravy I didnt like and McDonalds really does have some good biscuits and gravy, but there is something about Cracker Barell that just dosent have much flavor, but its really the only place around here to get some different kind of food, besides Waffle House.

everything here seems to be burgers,mexican or steaks

Old 11-21-2009, 09:06 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,923,412 times
Sugar doesn't belong in grits. My mom could never cooked unsweetened cornbread when I was growing up...I,m used to the Jiffy muffins. I prefer sweet cornbread over unsweetened but I have had some good non-sweet (thin) cornbread that went well with homemade beef stew. I only eat grits in a couple of ways (cheese, gravy, sausage and stewed tomatoes, ham/eggs/cheese). I hardly eat grits out because they'll be too watery and they never have what I like to put in them.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:12 PM

3,398 posts, read 7,146,041 times
Cornbread with sugar? You can pass it.

Sugar in grits?

You've just run into a Yankee that doesnt know any better.

And I <3 LOVE <3 Cracker Barrel's Chicken and Dumplins....

Last edited by Colddiamond102; 11-21-2009 at 09:35 PM..

Old 11-21-2009, 11:05 PM

403 posts, read 469,151 times
sugar in cornbread is very good.
i like butter in my grits though.
damn...i need to go to the grocery store soon. a breakfast with country ham, eggs, grits & gravy biscuits sound SO good to me right now

Old 06-20-2010, 04:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,645 times
My mama was raised deep in the piney woods of Louisiana and she was undisputedly one of the best southern cooks ever born. Everything she cooked was incredible. I remember being shocked as a kid when I first learned that some parents had to *make* their kids eat everything on their plates! She made the most incredible pecan pie and I always thought she had some secret recipe, but found out later that it was just the one on the Karo syrup bottle. Still, no one else's pecan pie even came close to hers.

When we were little, she made grits and we ate them with butter and sugar and milk. But then we pretty much stopped eating grits when we started growing up. We sure as heck didn't know anybody ate grits at any other meal but breakfast. We did however always have cornbread cooked in a black iron skillet almost every night for dinner. She used the same bowl to mix it in for over 50 years, never measured, just poured by feel and her cornbread came out perfect every time. And yes she put a teensy amount of sugar in it but it didn't have an overwhelmingly sweet taste.

My father grew up ranching and farmed cotton in the fields of west Texas. They both grew up when you had to grow your own food to survive. We always had huge gardens of tomatoes, peppers, okra, squash, eggplant, green beans, field peas, black-eyed peas, butterbeans, turnips, corn and potatoes. We had pecan, mulberry, persimmon and pear trees. When they were in season, my mother bought bushels of local satsumas and peaches. We picked blackberries from the fields and picked up mayhaws to make jelly. We had catfish from the ponds. My father always kept about a hundred head of cattle, so we had the best meat, too. And this is just the stuff we didn't have to buy from the store. With all that fresh food, we never had to rely on some stupid grits to live on.

So... all'a y'all can take all your little grits and cornbread tests and fold 'em 5 ways and shove 'em where the sun don't shine. Besides... a true Southerner don't need no stinkin' grits test to tell a yankee when they see one.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:57 PM

841 posts, read 1,867,832 times
Suggested serving on Quaker Grits package:

"Serve with any of the following: margarine, butter, cheese, red-eye gravy or as a hot cereal with milk and sugar."

Cooks in 5 minutes, by the way.

Old 03-17-2011, 02:01 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 20 days ago)

10,487 posts, read 14,325,180 times
I found this link about grits, polenta and cornmeal mush. Thought it was pretty interesting, especially the part about Hasty Pudding. Who knew?
Anson Mills Cornmeal Mush | Zingerman's Roadhouse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.