U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 AM

5,414 posts, read 7,721,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I hate ham!
Ah, Chalie Brown, you need to reconsider your assessment of the good Lord's meat = PORK!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 12:19 AM

717 posts, read 702,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Ah, Chalie Brown, you need to reconsider your assessment of the good Lord's meat = PORK!!!
I love pork. Ham is one of few parts of the pig I won't eat. It never really did agree with my tastebuds.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:22 AM

3,232 posts, read 4,731,550 times
I called my Okie mom after reading a similar thread. She puts a heaping tablespoon of sugar in her cornbread batter as did her mother (who was from the Ozarks of Arkansas). If she doesn't have buttermilk she uses a tablespoon of vinegar with regular milk. A heaping tablespoon of sugar in a bowl of batter does NOT turn it into that tall, sweet corn cake from the Northern states. Can't believe so many people wear their "sugarless cornbread" as some sort of Southern badge of authenticity. My family was in those states for hundreds of years and I don't think a little sugar in their cornbread turn them into a Yankee.

As far as grits go Dad was the only one who ate them and I don't think he put sugar in them. Funny thing was mom served hominy as a side dish sometimes (particularly with beans) and we all ate it.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:59 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,367,851 times
My bag of cornmeal in the cupboard was milled in San Antonio, Texas (Pioneer brand). There are two recipes on the bag. One for Cornbread (no sugar) and one for Corn Muffins (yes sugar).

As far as I'm concerned, that is a recognized authority. However, I also think that there are a lot of people who think Cornbread and Corn Muffins are the same thing.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:23 AM

1,230 posts, read 2,843,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
I love pork. Ham is one of few parts of the pig I won't eat. It never really did agree with my tastebuds.

I am with you on this. I hate ham too. I will eat bacon, pork chops, pork loin etc but will not touch ham. For me I think its a texture issue.

I aslo refuse to eat sweeted cornbread. IMO it is gross...nothing like a corn meal cake...

Old 07-29-2011, 08:40 AM

717 posts, read 702,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrenee View Post
I am with you on this. I hate ham too. I will eat bacon, pork chops, pork loin etc but will not touch ham. For me I think its a texture issue.
Exactly. I just can't get with the texture or the saltiness.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:44 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,146,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Can't believe so many people wear their "sugarless cornbread" as some sort of Southern badge of authenticity. My family was in those states for hundreds of years and I don't think a little sugar in their cornbread turn them into a Yankee.
Finally someone who agrees with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.