U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 11:07 PM

3,980 posts, read 3,639,354 times

Advertisements

Cann't handle sugar in cornbread. Ruined some beans one day because of almost cake-sweet cornbread in breakroom at work. Grits I don't eat often, but sugarless when I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 12:43 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sweet yellow cornbread, yes. Sugar in grits? Sacrilege! When we were kids and money was real tight sometimes my mom would serve cold leftover cornbread for breakfast, crumbled up with a bit of sugar and milk poured over it. Every once in a blue moon I find myself craving it that way, maybe for old times sake.
Brings back some memories, DubbleT. It wasn't sweetened, but my grandparents used to eat crumbled up cornbread in "sweet milk"..or buttermilk. Put the cornbead in it, then pour the milk over it. Eat it with a spoon and drink the leavings.

*grinning a bit in recollection* When I was a kid, I thought buttermilk was the nastiest thing in the world. How ANYBODY could handle that stuff was beyond me...

But dammed if when I got older? I found out..wellll, it wasn't so bad. In fact, I even like it now. And try to explain to my OWN kids why it really DOES leave a pleasant after-taste. "specially with cornbread in a seasoned milk-glass....

Old 11-15-2009, 01:51 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I'm with you, Georgiafrog...and several others. I CAN handle sweet cornbread if it comes right down to it. But NOT sugar on grits. The only thing that belongs on grits is REAL butter and pepper.

I think that is in the Bible somewhere, isn't it...?
You should try grillades & grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Brings back some memories, DubbleT. It wasn't sweetened, but my grandparents used to eat crumbled up cornbread in "sweet milk"..or buttermilk. Put the cornbead in it, then pour the milk over it. Eat it with a spoon and drink the leavings.

*grinning a bit in recollection* When I was a kid, I thought buttermilk was the nastiest thing in the world. How ANYBODY could handle that stuff was beyond me...

But dammed if when I got older? I found out..wellll, it wasn't so bad. In fact, I even like it now. And try to explain to my OWN kids why it really DOES leave a pleasant after-taste. "specially with cornbread in a seasoned milk-glass....
Memories... oh the memories..

Old 11-15-2009, 06:39 AM

925 posts, read 2,292,763 times
Sugar does not belong in cornbread. Sugar in cornbread can be found outside the South, but within the South, sugar in cornbread is a rarity, normally a product of restaurant chains and/or food services that are either based outside of the South, or that cater to the nation as a whole.

The first time I tasted sweetened cornbread, I thought it was awful. Assuming that the cornbread was going to be great, I bit down and thought to myself, "this does not taste like cornbread at all". I've had it a few times since, and it doesn't taste quite as bad. However, it's still not as good as cornbread without the sugar.

I've never seen anyone place sugar into grits. Butter and cheese, sure. Even bacon is common. However, sugar? Nope.

I've always found it odd how non-southerners place sugar into things that don't need sugar, but they leave sugar out of things where it is needed.

For example:

Tea: Non-southerners think that the bark-root tasting unsweetened tea is preferable to the delicious taste of sweetened tea. Odd.

Cornbread: Non-southerners prefer sugar in their cornbread, when it is obvious that non-sweetened cornbread with butter can't be beat.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:53 AM

11,334 posts, read 17,112,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Cornbread is better without sugar, but acceptable with it.

Grits with sugar is criminal. Salt, Pepper, and butter. Unless you have some shrimp, Vidalia onions, and tomatoes that is.
This.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:56 AM

4,230 posts, read 9,140,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Fanatic View Post
Sugar does not belong in cornbread. Sugar in cornbread can be found outside the South, but within the South, sugar in cornbread is a rarity, normally a product of restaurant chains and/or food services that are either based outside of the South, or that cater to the nation as a whole.

Cornbread: Non-southerners prefer sugar in their cornbread, when it is obvious that non-sweetened cornbread with butter can't be beat.
Simply not true (at least not in the entire south, maybe in certain areas).

Last edited by WestbankNOLA; 11-15-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM

1,142 posts, read 2,509,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
Simply not true (at least not in the entire south, maybe in certain areas).
Agreed. Different parts of the south serve southern food in a variety of ways. I must have a thousand different recipes for how to fix greens, all of them from southerners. Then I have the way I like to fix it.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:00 AM

542 posts, read 791,737 times
I've lived in VA pretty much my whole life and my final say on grits=disgusting! Cornbread I can take or leave. The kind I like seemed to have a sweet aftertaste so I guess I prefer mine with sugar. And coleslaw makes me want to puke. I've many different kinds and tried to make myself like it, but to no avail. I only have one friend out of many that I know of that eats grits. Sweet tea is wonderful though. But I don't mind unsweetened either. Sorry to let all you other "southerners" down but I don't really fit the southern stereotype at all. I'm just as at home either in NYC as I am in the country.

For the record though, all this north, south, east and west stuff really bothers me. Aren't we the US of America? Not the US of the South or north or west. I see the country becoming increasingly polarized over these kinds of things and especially politically. Remember, before many great civilizations fell, they were at their most divided. Just food for thought. Kind of went on a tangent there, but see these kinds of threads all the time and it's worrisome.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:22 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,125,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
For the record though, all this north, south, east and west stuff really bothers me. Aren't we the US of America? Not the US of the South or north or west. I see the country becoming increasingly polarized over these kinds of things and especially politically. Remember, before many great civilizations fell, they were at their most divided. Just food for thought. Kind of went on a tangent there, but see these kinds of threads all the time and it's worrisome.
Oh, c'mon, Nebat! I know you mean well --obviously you do-- but get a sense of humor, fer gawd sake!

Of course we are the United States of America. United STATES, as it is. With natural diversity. Massachussets (those damn yankees!) is not Texas and Ohio is not Alabama. The whole original idea of THESE United States was that each had the right to be different. We banded together to protect one another and support a mutually beneficial economic concern. NOT to become one bland "mobacracy".

I hope I never see the day Indiana becomes totally indistinguishable from Mississippi...or vice-versa. Or Texas a Michigan.

Part of the great thing about being American is to be able to poke fun at each other. And different regional customs and such....

I remember that I was on a "dove hunt/poker game" weekend right after 9-11...and all us good ol' Southern boys were watching as the band outside Buckingham Palace played "The National Anthem".

There wasn't a dry eye amongst us...and one of the members (Sons of Confederate Veterans...historical/genealogy group) spoke up and said -- referring to that it happened in New York -- said, "They may be yankees, but by damn, they are OUR yankees. Let's band together and go kick the siht out of those bastards"

We are ONE, yes. But we are also made up of many. I am proud to be from Texas, and proud to be from the South. I expect any from other states and regions will feel the same way.

THAT is what makes us all Americans! Not some fuzzy notion of "unity" as in that we can't be different and still take up for each other!

BTW -- here is the clip in question. It will bring tears to a glass-eye:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwrX-LN9-L0

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-15-2009 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 12:56 PM

18,643 posts, read 27,082,820 times
Sugar in cornbread is a must.
Never heard the sugar in grits thing though. Heard cheese and everything. But not sugar. Sounds nasty as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.