U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 12:59 PM

444 posts, read 1,029,689 times

Advertisements

I don't like corn but...
grits+cornbread+butter=happyness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 05:33 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,979,478 times
Default My family never made polenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
You being Italian, I would assume you realize that grits are the exact same thing as polenta. The only difference is the color - white instead of yellow.
I don't even like it.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:09 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,279,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How can ground corn be disgusting anyway? It sounds like someone who is afraid of being associated with anything southern...you know, one of those people who will argue until next year that Maryland is part of the Northeast.
Please, I ate the grits in Maryland (although I don't anyone else who eats it). Whether I ate it in Maine or Tennessee doesn't even matter though, since it's still disgusting, and how is it exclusively Southern when it's available "coast to coast."

Old 11-16-2009, 06:13 PM

3,752 posts, read 7,492,864 times
Sugar in cornbread - yes.
Sugar in grits - never.

Old 11-16-2009, 09:02 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,739,631 times
Grew up in New England, currently live in the Boston area, have Southern family connections. I've always found the sweet cornbread that's customary in New England to be a poor fit as a bread to accompany a meal. It just doesn't complement the usual main dishes of meat, soup, stew, or chili very well. Seems more like a cake for dessert to me.

Reading this thread is the first time I've heard of sweet grits. Sounds disgusting, frankly. I like grits and cornbread (the non-sweet kind) both with LOTS of butter. Grits and gravy make a great combination as well.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:47 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Please, I ate the grits in Maryland (although I don't anyone else who eats it). Whether I ate it in Maine or Tennessee doesn't even matter though, since it's still disgusting, and how is it exclusively Southern when it's available "coast to coast."
Not so much as it used to be -- exclusive to the South, that is -- but a large reason is the mobile society we live in. Its availability outside the South is more indicitive of that many Southerners (or those with Southern roots) live outside the native region today, and it makes good sense for certain places ("Truck Stop" restaurants, for instance) to serve them...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:41 AM

7,901 posts, read 8,904,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, fellow Southerners...

I am a forth genertion Texas...and a Southerner to the nth degree of ancestry.

Here is a question to my fellow natives:

Does sugar have a place in cornbread and/or grits.?

I got into it today with somebody who insisted sugar was part of cornbread. I disagree. And I will until hell freezed over.

Sugar in the South has its place. The Sugar Bowl or the sugar bowl. Or the Cotton Bowl, and maybe to make cotton-candy. But NOT in grits or cornbread. Hell, it makes the latter become poundcake. And the former turn into cream of wheat.

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't care all that much for grits. But by dammed if I will tolerate yankees gettin' too uppity 'bout 'em...

And NO sugar

What say y'all?

Anyone seen putting sugar on grits is a Yankee spy.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:14 AM

10,167 posts, read 17,129,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Cornbread = no! "Take that sugar out of my cornbread and put in my tea, please!" hahaha

Grits = well my friend, you have called me out before on this one....my own parents call me a Yankee for putting sugar in mine from time to time....I can eat 'em and like 'em either way.....my folks, like other Southern purists, insist salt/pepper only....every once and while with some cheese mixed in there too........

So, go on and laugh it up and call me a Yank, 'ol Friend!:eek:

You KNOW I couldn't never do that, buddy! Other than this one small slip of yours, yer Southern credentials are immpecable!

Old 11-17-2009, 10:45 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,119,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok, fellow Southerners...

I am a forth genertion Texas...and a Southerner to the nth degree of ancestry.

Here is a question to my fellow natives:

Does sugar have a place in cornbread and/or grits.?

I got into it today with somebody who insisted sugar was part of cornbread. I disagree. And I will until hell freezed over.

Sugar in the South has its place. The Sugar Bowl or the sugar bowl. Or the Cotton Bowl, and maybe to make cotton-candy. But NOT in grits or cornbread. Hell, it makes the latter become poundcake. And the former turn into cream of wheat.

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't care all that much for grits. But by dammed if I will tolerate yankees gettin' too uppity 'bout 'em...

And NO sugar

What say y'all?

I agree with ya, sugar does not belong in grits or cornbread... but it definately belongs in tea, don't forget that one.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,162,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I don't even like it.
That's too bad. You've probably never had good, then.

Grilled polenta with sausages and peppers.........mmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.