U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 01:37 PM

2,531 posts, read 5,462,054 times

Advertisements

Sugar has NO place in Grits!!!

My uncle was in the Army in the 50's, and he told me a story about how the Mess Hall served Cream-Of-Wheat for breakfast. Well, he was from the backwoods of Louisiana and thought they were Grits as they didn't sell Cream of Wheat in his area at the time. So he starts putting butter, salt and pepper in them and he says that everyone was looking at him like he was crazy. He thought they were crazy for putting milk and sugar in their "grits". LOL.

I love shrimp-and-cheese-grits. Delicious.

As for sugar in cornbread, yes and no. If I'm eating a meal with candied yams or something like that, I prefer a sweeter cornbread. If it involves collard greens and more saltier foods, I prefer a less sweeter version. Nothing like sopping up some collard green juice with cornbread, AKA, "Pot Licker"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 04:40 PM

164 posts, read 310,318 times
[quote=grindin;11664798]Sugar has NO place in Grits!!!

And that's the TRUTH! Sugar is for Cream of Wheat, NOT GRITS!

I'm just clowning. I was raised on both though. For breakfast, I guess I got the cream of wheat from Dad (the Maryland side) along with homefries (sliced potatoes fried with onions). I definitely got the grits from Mom (the Georgia side). My mom made grits with salt & butter with eggs, or sometimes cheese grits, grits with salmon, or grits with gravy--NEVER with sugar.

Same thing with corn bread. I have eaten the sweet Jiffy, because I don't know how to make cornbread from scratch. But my mom used to cook it from scratch and didn't use any sugar. And when I had to go down to Augusta to stay with my grandmom & grandad, they taught me that cornbread was best eaten with greens. They said that you are supposed to use the cornbread to "sop up" the Collard Green juice (or turnip greens, or whatever other kind of greens).

Old 11-17-2009, 05:07 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,267,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Sugar has NO place in Grits!!!

And that's the TRUTH! Sugar is for Cream of Wheat, NOT GRITS!

I'm just clowning. I was raised on both though. For breakfast, I guess I got the cream of wheat from Dad (the Maryland side) along with homefries (sliced potatoes fried with onions). I definitely got the grits from Mom (the Georgia side). My mom made grits with salt & butter with eggs, or sometimes cheese grits, grits with salmon, or grits with gravy--NEVER with sugar.

Same thing with corn bread. I have eaten the sweet Jiffy, because I don't know how to make cornbread from scratch. But my mom used to cook it from scratch and didn't use any sugar. And when I had to go down to Augusta to stay with my grandmom & grandad, they taught me that cornbread was best eaten with greens. They said that you are supposed to use the cornbread to "sop up" the Collard Green juice (or turnip greens, or whatever other kind of greens).
As far as I know, Cream of Wheat isn't necessarily a non-southern food...it may have originated elsewhere, but didn't most American foods? Since we had large grocery stores where I grew up that carried just about everything, they sold Cream of Wheat and we often had it for breakfast. I didn't like it as much as grits, but it's okay...and yes, sugar is for CofW, not grits.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-17-2009 at 05:35 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,333 times
I've had Cream of Wheat a few times and it's almost as bad as grits, but the sugar kind of offsets that.

Grits and Shrimp?!?! You're kidding right. Now that really makes me want to hurl. How can you mix one of the best tasting foods with the worst tasting foods. I'm trying my utmost hardest to not even picture how that even looks.

...and to the Deac, I guarantee you that shrimp and grits does not exist in Maryland (or is "widely available" anywhere else), and if they does the people rightly eat it exclusively in the safety of their homes.

Last edited by cpterp; 11-17-2009 at 05:54 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
I've had Cream of Wheat a few times and it's almost as bad as grits, but the sugar kind of offsets that.

Grits and Shrimp?!?! You're kidding right. Now that really makes me want to hurl. How can you mix one of the best tasting foods with the worst tasting foods. I'm trying my utmost hardest to not even picture how that even looks.

...and to the Deac, I guarantee you that one does not exist in Maryland (or is "widely available" anywhere else), and if they does the people rightly eat it exclusively in the safety of their homes.
What one? I'm not following what you're saying...

I've never tried shrimp and grits, but I know it's more of a coastal dish originating in New Orleans/other Gulf Coast cities and in the Lowcountry area of Charleston. I have noticed that many finer restaurants have picked it up and now serve it, but it just isn't appetizing to me. I love shrimp and I wouldn't want to ruin it.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 11-17-2009 at 05:40 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 05:33 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Sugar in rice??? Sure!
Sugar in Tea? Great!
Sugar in cornbread? OK.....whatever floats your boat.
Sugar in Grits?? WTF IS YOUR PROBLEMS???

Old 11-17-2009, 05:39 PM

Cream of Wheat, or porridge, was invented in 1893 by wheat millers in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Cream of Wheat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-17-2009, 05:55 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What one? I'm not following what you're saying...

I've never tried shrimp and grits, but I know it's more of a coastal dish originating in New Orleans/other Gulf Coast cities and in the Lowcountry area of Charleston. I have noticed that many finer restaurants have picked it up and now serve it, but it just isn't appetizing to me. I love shrimp and I wouldn't want to ruin it.
hehe fixed now. I hear you on that last part. It's a travesty.

Last edited by cpterp; 11-17-2009 at 07:07 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 06:03 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,671,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Cream of Wheat, or porridge, was invented in 1893 by wheat millers in Grand Forks, North Dakota. Cream of Wheat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I always heard people use porridge in movies, but never knew what it was.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I always heard people use porridge in movies, but never knew what it was.
...and you know Goldie Locks loved Baby Bear's porridge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.