U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 01:05 PM

10,167 posts, read 17,117,165 times

Advertisements

Ok, fellow Southerners...

I am a forth genertion Texas...and a Southerner to the nth degree of ancestry.

Here is a question to my fellow natives:

Does sugar have a place in cornbread and/or grits.?

I got into it today with somebody who insisted sugar was part of cornbread. I disagree. And I will until hell freezed over.

Sugar in the South has its place. The Sugar Bowl or the sugar bowl. Or the Cotton Bowl, and maybe to make cotton-candy. But NOT in grits or cornbread. Hell, it makes the latter become poundcake. And the former turn into cream of wheat.

Now, I will be the first to admit I don't care all that much for grits. But by dammed if I will tolerate yankees gettin' too uppity 'bout 'em...

And NO sugar

What say y'all?

Last edited by TexasReb; 11-14-2009 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 01:45 PM

11,334 posts, read 17,101,785 times
I'm not a Southerner, I'm a Mid-Atlanticer (I live in NYC but not for long lol) and I don't feel sugar should be in grits or cornbread.

That sounds nasty to me, I used to be a major grits fan but I don't really eat them anymore but when I do I like them with butter & cheese and I couldn't imagine them with sugar. I love cornbread and I feel it tastes good already without sugar.

Old 11-14-2009, 01:53 PM

3,628 posts, read 9,213,521 times
sorry, i like sweet cornbread!

Old 11-14-2009, 01:56 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,136,179 times
Sugar in cornbread is a must IMO, unless it's skillet bread.
The commercial cornbread mix (Jiffy Bread) is nothing but sugar and cornmeal.
I know several people who put sugar in grits, but I can't the taste of sugar in grits. I can't eat grits without cheese or grillades though.

One exception.. cheese grits with grilled shrimp and bbq sauce is the oddest/wierdest, but best tasting grits combination I've ever had.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:00 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,165,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Now, I will be the first to admit I don't care all that much for grits. But by dammed if I will tolerate yankees gettin' too uppity 'bout 'em...
Well I don't know what Northerner you have been arguing with, but sugar doesn't belong anywhere near Grits or Cornbread around here either.

Old 11-14-2009, 02:06 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,154,259 times
No sugar in either one for me, TexasReb.

Now, when I was a little kid in Ohio, we did have neighbors that liked grits with milk & sugar. My Mom's response to them - "That's what Cream of Wheat is for!"

Old 11-14-2009, 03:07 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,454,095 times
No sugar in them, but my mom served us grits with butter and jam growing up in Texas, which I later learned was just as much a travesty as sugar. Back then I thought that was normal, how everyone ate grits. LOL

She wouldn't hear of sugar in her cornbread, though. That just ain't right.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:13 PM

1,142 posts, read 2,508,462 times
I grew up in the south and I love a bit of sugar in my cornbread! I will eat it without, but my sweet tooth needs that extra oomph.

I also put honey on my grits. Honey and butter and sometimes jam. I like grits salty too.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:29 PM

4,230 posts, read 9,136,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
I grew up in the south and I love a bit of sugar in my cornbread! I will eat it without, but my sweet tooth needs that extra oomph.

I also put honey on my grits. Honey and butter and sometimes jam. I like grits salty too.

The only times I have known people to not put t least a little sugar in cornbread is when the bread is about to be used for dressing/stuffing, Spanish/Mexican cornbread, skillet bread, crackling bread, crawfish bread, etc.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:37 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,506,025 times
Sugar in cornbread? Very common. Probably half of people that make cornbread do this.
Sugar in grits? Not very common. Perhaps some people do it, but it's never been brought to my attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.