U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:09 PM

594 posts, read 944,365 times

Advertisements

Since few years ago, and past decade, the U.S. saw LARGE muslim immigrants growth. It has been said that by next few decades, Islam will take over North America and Europe.

For example in New York metropolitan area, we always see muslims all over the place now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:18 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,281,197 times
zOmG CaLL tHe PoLiCe!!!111111111111111111111111

Old 11-14-2009, 05:29 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,914,654 times
Most of America's Muslims are moderate and the US is not near any Muslim nation. We would need 30 million Muslims to pour in even to reach 10% and besides that I think I read Hinduism is growing faster in the US than Islam. India loves the US and Hindus rarely leave their faith. (In America it's easier to leave Islam if you want or to enter than leave)

Old 11-14-2009, 05:34 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,241,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Most of America's Muslims are moderate and the US is not near any Muslim nation. We would need 30 million Muslims to pour in even to reach 10% and besides that I think I read Hinduism is growing faster in the US than Islam. India loves the US and Hindus rarely leave their faith. (In America it's easier to leave Islam if you want or to enter than leave)
Muslims in the U.S. are much more inclined to assimilate, whereas in Europe they are very noticably separatist.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:49 PM

2,317 posts, read 6,874,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Muslims in the U.S. are much more inclined to assimilate, whereas in Europe they are very noticably separatist.
Agreed. Muslims here in the US, possibly due to the slower rate of immigration (than Europe), are indeed much more inclined to assimilate.

There has been a massive influx in many European areas with Muslim immigrants and this has caused many social problems and pillarization of society in places like the Netherlands. With a huge influx of people of the same culture, it's easier to stick to your own culture rather than have the pressure to fit in to the new culture.

You can see similar problems in parts of the US with Mexican immigrants, though there is somewhat more of a cultural cohesion between Hispanic Mexican immigrants and already established American citizens than between Europeans and Muslim immigrants. That said, I have heard that most Muslim immigrants to Europe are doing just fine in many places, despite publicized incidents in Malm, Sweden and church/mosque burnings in the Netherlands. Though I have heard that Sweden is estimated to be a majority Muslim country in a matter of decades... It will be interesting to see how it unfolds in Europe--in cultures not used to immigration or multiculturalism that have historically been very homogenous racially and ethnically.

Like children of immigrants to the US, children of immigrants to European countries are also much more likely to assimilate.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,949,509 times
It started in the 60s and wasn't due to immigration. Remember Malcom X? Black Muslims? Conversions.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:32 PM

The Baha'i might be more like Islam than the Nation of Islam is. Still I think they are counted as Muslims. Also they didn't start in the 1960s. The original Nation of Islam ended up being led by Warith Deen Muhammad and changed its name to "American Society of Muslims." Under this name they have abandoned most or all unorthodox notions and have become a conventional Muslim group that allows people of all races. The original NoI dates to 1930. The re-constituted NoI, led by Farrakhan, is generally seen in the media as the "true descendant" of the NoI. Part of this might simply be because they maintained the name, but they also kept the original groups beliefs on race, divinity, and extraterrestrials. The reconstituted NoI dates from 1978. Farrakhan was a calypso singer who joined the original NoI in the 1950s and I think that's the decade they first became important.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:35 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,241,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
The Baha'i might be more like Islam than the Nation of Islam is. Still I think they are counted as Muslims. Also they didn't start in the 1960s. The original Nation of Islam ended up being led by Warith Deen Muhammad and changed its name to "American Society of Muslims." Under this name they have abandoned most or all unorthodox notions and have become a conventional Muslim group that allows people of all races. The original NoI dates to 1930. The re-constituted NoI, led by Farrakhan, is generally seen in the media as the "true descendant" of the NoI. Part of this might simply be because they maintained the name, but they also kept the original groups beliefs on race, divinity, and extraterrestrials. The reconstituted NoI dates from 1978. Farrakhan was a calypso singer who joined the original NoI in the 1950s and I think that's the decade they first became important.
Well done.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:41 PM

Thanks. I was worried it sounded condescending or snotty. If some do think it sounds that way, apologies. I can get a bit professorial at times. To the others, glad you liked it.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:59 PM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,105,503 times
^count me in as one who liked it.
It's nice seeing real informative posts on here now and then rater than the same old subjective, knee-jerk, uneducated crap we tend to get (such as this thread )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or