U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:09 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,263,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCallMeTC View Post
The idea is that the best fish are there, and there's more of them.
Right...but are we talking about the best fishing for an indivdual or the best for a commercial vessel with huge nets? There is a huge difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2009, 07:12 PM

3,001 posts, read 4,188,001 times
I couldn't imagine saying one state is better than another for fishing because I haven't seen everywhere. But from those states that I have seen, and that is a lot of them. I thought upstate NY had a lot of good lakes and rivers for fishing. New Hampshire was another good state. Florida and Maine for boat fishing. Some areas might be really good for fishing, but maybe their state as a whole is lacking. There are some communities that thrive on fishing, both commercially and locally or domestically.

NY's adirondack and catskill regions are oasis's for the 'regular' fisherman. New Hampshire and Maine are hotbeds. I know movies have influenced certain western states like Montana and such. Im sure there are good areas everywhere for fishing. Pennsylvania wasn't too bad. Rhode Island, Alaska, Washington. I think if you look hard enough you could find good fishing areas in all states.

Then again, there are also areas I have been to but not long enough to know for sure, but I think would have good fishing is places like Colorado, The Dakota's, etc. Definately down south. Areas down south pride themselves on fishing. I conclude, every state has good fishing.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:35 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,816,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Right...but are we talking about the best fishing for an indivdual or the best for a commercial vessel with huge nets? There is a huge difference.
With a modicum of logic applied, the two should be the same.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
No...just the opposite. You actually think that the fishing for commercial vessels would be the same as taking your fishing rod and bucket of bait to catch some fish? No way.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:40 PM

12,084 posts, read 34,145,269 times
Quote:
Ummm, NO. I have yet to see a traveling fisherman hauling a boat that is capable of draglining or trawling. Commercial fishing and recreational fishing are two totally different ballgames. Just because the fish are there, doesn't necessarily mean that a recreational fisherman can get to them.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Ummm, NO. I have yet to see a traveling fisherman hauling a boat that is capable of draglining or trawling. Commercial fishing and recreational fishing are two totally different ballgames. Just because the fish are there, doesn't necessarily mean that a recreational fisherman can get to them.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:36 PM

12,391 posts, read 24,552,631 times
florida

Old 11-15-2009, 11:43 PM

5,412 posts, read 7,703,380 times
Well Oklahoma's Lake Texoma, Arkansas' Lake Ouachita, and Texas' Lake Fork are just about the best lakes to fish in all God's creation.

As for creeks/rivers....Oklahoma's got the best noodlin' spots around too.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,721,937 times
It seems to me that where you're going to find the best fishing depends on what you want to fish for. If there is a certain species you especially want to go after, you'd want to seek out the areas where that fish is especially abundant, and where the individual fish of that species tend to be robust--the deep South for largemouth bass, cold,clear northern waters for trout, etc.

One state that comes to mind as a possibility for some good variety is North Carolina. I would think NC would be far enough south for some good bass fishing in the coastal plain and piedmont regions, and might have some good trout streams in the mountains. If you're interested in saltwater fishing, the area approximately around NC seems to be a transitional zone where you have both northern and southern species.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:36 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,816,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Hilarious. Fishing in Alaska is beyond fabulous. Ever heard of Salmon or Halibut?

No I suppose not.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or