U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,276,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Not sure about AZ but most of the others are not right to work states. Also, most of them are very heavy in terms of business regs.
Have to keep the greedy, unethical corporations honest.

The 22 "Right-to-Work" states (i.e. the states where Workers aren't permitted to unite "to fight the Man [who] is so damn powerful individuals have no chance, but if we all stick together, maybe we've got a chance to earn a decent wage.") These are of course the most liberal, best-educated, and wealthiest states in the country.

...or maybe I have that backwards...

btw I have to smile everytime I see your tag, it's like an oxymoron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 10:02 PM

3,625 posts, read 7,169,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Obviously Obama is to blame for all of this; Lets just dismiss all the BS that we put up with Bush for over 8 years. It makes perfect sense.
rep +1

Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,942,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post

Wait a minute...9 of the 10 wealthiest states also voted for Obama...9 of the 10 poorest states voted for McCain. So the most financially troubled people voted for McCain and the lady who doesn't believe in dinosaurs. The most financially troubled governments voted for Obama.

"The lady who doesn't believe in dinosaurs."

LOL
Yes, that would be Palin the creationist.
No wonder the social conservatives like her

Old 01-12-2010, 03:01 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,873,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Interesting list, so I thought I'd share. Thanks to Beavercreek33 for posting the link.

The States
Arizona
California
Florida
Illinois
Michigan
Nevada
New Jersey
Oregon
Rhode Island
Wisconsin

Honorable Mention
Colorado
Georgia
Kentucky
New York
Hawaii

The Link
Ten most troubled states in the U.S. - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Ten-most-troubled-states-in-cnnm-2889165804.html?x=0&.v=7 - broken link)
Should read: Ten most troubled states... at this time.

I've heard the recession will eventually ripple through all 50 states.

Not sure how much truth there is in that...but to me it doesn't seem wise to gloat just yet.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 AM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They need to stop presenting this info as if it refers to the people who live there.

The correct title would be: "10 State Governments that have budget shortfalls".
May I ask, why them? Why are they the top ten in budget shortfalls? What's a state that's small enough to spit across (Rhode Island) doing up there? Do all of them have anything in common that takes up a huge chunk of their respective budgets?

Old 01-12-2010, 12:49 PM

3,191 posts, read 4,133,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
Have to keep the greedy, unethical corporations honest.

The 22 "Right-to-Work" states (i.e. the states where Workers aren't permitted to unite "to fight the Man [who] is so damn powerful individuals have no chance, but if we all stick together, maybe we've got a chance to earn a decent wage.") These are of course the most liberal, best-educated, and wealthiest states in the country.

...or maybe I have that backwards...

btw I have to smile everytime I see your tag, it's like an oxymoron
Now hold on, a fair number of those right to work states have SURPLUSES (a few of them are in the south!) in their state budgets and economies. However, Arizona has issues because we have bad immigration problems, and we commited our state's economy to real-estate too much, this state is so far in the hole it's laying everybody off right now, not to mention they shut down a couple of MVD's and interstate rest stops to save money.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:06 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,960,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threenineteen View Post
It's no surprise that 12 of the 15 states listed above voted for Obama.
It's no surprise that Bush, like Hoover (another republican) caused all this trouble. Having Mccain as a president is like having bush for 12 years.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:52 PM

10,234 posts, read 13,982,771 times
Yes. Oregon is desperately hurting for jobs. It always has, even when the economy was good. And I continue to watch businesses, big and small, close every week. To me, the recession doesn't end until this pattern starts on the upswing.

And we usually have Democrats running this state, so I'm not about to join the anti-Republican bandwagon here. They're all the same.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:49 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,961,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by threenineteen View Post
It's no surprise that 12 of the 15 states listed above voted for Obama.
Nope, no surprise. The states most unsatisfied were more likely to want the Presidency to change hands. Whether their satisfaction had anything to do with the President or not there's a desire for change when things aren't going well. I imagine this was true of Carter's loss in 1980 as well. That's not surprising. It shouldn't necessarily mean anything that great or bad about how either voted.

If you wish to be political it would be more sensible to look at the governorships of those states.

Arizona - Currently Republican, but Napolitano (DEM) in 2008.
California - Republican
Florida - Republican
Illinois - Democratic
Michigan - Democratic
Nevada - Republican
New Jersey - Democratic (Switching to GOP, but I think we can count this one as just Democratic)
Oregon - Democratic
Rhode Island - Republican
Wisconsin - Democratic

5 Democratic, 4 Republican, and 1 that's both. A bit of a wash then so here's the "almost as bad states" named.

Colorado - Democratic
Georgia - Republican
Kentucky - Democratic
New York - Democratic
Hawaii - Republican

So 3 to 2 there. I think it might be slightly more Democratic than Republican. Some of the most Republican states (Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah) are doing fairly okay. Although these are in a way "older moderate Republicans" than the "Southern conservative Republican" or the "liberal Republican." The kind of Republicans that were about stability and frugality I think did the best. Sadly those kinds of Republicans have been minor in the last decade.

Still it's far from overwhelming in either direction. I think Montana's also one of those doing okay and it has a moderate Democratic governor in Brian Schweitzer. There are some fairly prudent and sensible Democrats. And this is probably off-topic except I think lifestyle and values do effect the economy.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:31 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,245,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
What's that's supposed to mean? Obama caused their problems? Interesting, since Bush was president when this downturn started. Well, if you want to go with political bs, why don't you consider these facts?

The 12 most uneducated states (percentage of bachelors degree holders, from highest to lowest):

38. Idaho
39. South Carolina
40. Wyoming
41. Indiana
42. Tennessee
42. Oklahoma
44. Alabama
45. Nevada
46. Louisiana
47. Kentucky
48. Mississippi
49. Arkansas
50. West Virginia

Guess how many voted for McCain? 10 out of the 12. Now if we use your logic: I guess we shouldn't be surprised that the least educated states voted for McCain.
That cute little list of yours is very untrue. Arizona ranks as the 'dumbest' state--50th in education in ACT/SAT scores, graduation rates and dollars spent per pupil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or