U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 05:34 PM

1,012 posts, read 2,247,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
It's no surprise that Bush, like Hoover (another republican) caused all this trouble. Having Mccain as a president is like having bush for 12 years.
Yeh. Bush was just sitting in the White House pressing the magic button marked BAD ECONOMY. Of course you are conveniently forgetting the fact that we have a CONGRESS and LOBBYISTS that hold the real power. And Main Street itself bears a huge responsibility by not living within its means. Blaming Bush is irrational and unfair, and is like blaming the rooster for the sun coming up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 05:44 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,461,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
^^ Now you're on the trolley! Obama is to blame for everything bad that has ever happened!

Let's not blame the guy who made the mess, just the one who's trying to clean it up!
Every administration cleans up messes from the previous...

Old 01-12-2010, 05:55 PM

5,656 posts, read 7,461,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
That cute little list of yours is very untrue. Arizona ranks as the 'dumbest' state--50th in education in ACT/SAT scores, graduation rates and dollars spent per pupil.
I would like to see your criteria for the that 'dumbest' list, and please quit grabbing at straws to try to make AZ look bad. We know you hate it. BTW, AZ is not 50th in ACT/SAT scores. I really wish people who hate AZ would just get the heck out. The state may move up a few notches in many categories.

Old 01-12-2010, 09:26 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
The following index does place Arizona as the least educated.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

However in terms of bachelor's degree or higher it's not so low. Instead the bottom twelve are Maine, Idaho, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Louisiana, Alabama, Indiana, Kentucky, Mississippi, Arkansas, and West Virginia. Three of these went for Obama, although only one of them went for Kerry. The top ten highest are all "Obama states" although Virginia and Colorado had went for Bush twice.

Judging instead by those with a high school diploma or greater the bottom twelve are majority "Red States" but not quite so large a majority. That bottom twelve includes the blue states of California, New Mexico, and Rhode Island. In this measure five of the top ten states are "Red States." (Alaska, Utah, Nebraska, Wyoming, and Montana)

My World Almanac seems to place Maine at the bottom for SAT and Mississippi at bottom for ACT, although some of this is maybe misleading as in some states few students take one or the other.

Last edited by Yac; 02-23-2010 at 07:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM

49 posts, read 24,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighland View Post
Interesting that 5 of the top 10 states have HUGE problems with illegal immigration. I wish our federal gov't would get a plan together on how to handle all types of immigration properly because its killing our states' finances.
Not only illegal immigration, but in the case of Florida, legal immigration via the Cuban Adjustment Act. It's fair to say that the southern tip of Florida is barely recognizable as a part of what was once the United States.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:29 PM

3,023 posts, read 2,877,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krock1dk View Post
Yeh. Bush was just sitting in the White House pressing the magic button marked BAD ECONOMY. Of course you are conveniently forgetting the fact that we have a CONGRESS and LOBBYISTS that hold the real power. And Main Street itself bears a huge responsibility by not living within its means. Blaming Bush is irrational and unfair, and is like blaming the rooster for the sun coming up.
I believe the congress was held by Republicans during most of Bush's term, no?

Old 01-13-2010, 12:57 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,991,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I believe the congress was held by Republicans during most of Bush's term, no?
I believe the theory the person is referring to is that the 110th Congress is the one that wrecked the economy. That at that point Bush was weak and they "ran the show."

I'm not saying I believe it. I think the economic collapse had various factors and that at least some of them have little to do with the government at all. Still I think it's plausible they did little better at avoiding or realizing problems than Republicans had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or