U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2009, 01:29 PM
 
57 posts, read 195,213 times
Reputation: 41

Advertisements

For example, NYC vs NY state, Philadelphia vs Pennsylvania, Boston vs Massachusetts..

There are a few exceptions like San Francisco...but generally, income in cities tend to be lower than their suburbs
I would think the opposite would be true since cities are the business centers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2009, 02:56 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,186 posts, read 10,305,280 times
Reputation: 1589
Because the successful people with good paying jobs generally reside in the suburbs so they can have a family, yard, a big house and more stuff. yea some professional people live in the city, but usually the cities are inhabited by lower class people like in the ghettos, and people who are single, like to party and don't need to make as much money as people who have to support their families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:17 PM
 
56,687 posts, read 80,995,527 times
Reputation: 12530
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Because the successful people with good paying jobs generally reside in the suburbs so they can have a family, yard, a big house and more stuff. yea some professional people live in the city, but usually the cities are inhabited by lower class people like in the ghettos, and people who are single, like to party and don't need to make as much money as people who have to support their families.
Which also can be stated in that cities have a wider range of people living within their city limits versus suburbs, which tend to be more homogeneous in terms of economics and many times, ethnically/racially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 03:27 PM
rah
 
Location: Oakland
3,315 posts, read 8,125,727 times
Reputation: 2508
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricownage View Post
For example, NYC vs NY state, Philadelphia vs Pennsylvania, Boston vs Massachusetts..

There are a few exceptions like San Francisco...but generally, income in cities tend to be lower than their suburbs
I would think the opposite would be true since cities are the business centers?
There are plenty of Suburbs in the Bay Area with much higher incomes than SF, just as there are others with lower incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
Reputation: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
There are plenty of Suburbs in the Bay Area with much higher incomes than SF, just as there are others with lower incomes.
On average tho, SF has a higher average income than the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
16,738 posts, read 23,181,095 times
Reputation: 5852
Not the case in Connecticut, where the suburbs (Greenwich, Avon, New Canaan, Darien, etc) in many cases have incomes 10x that of the cities (New Haven, Hartford, Norwalk, Bridgeport).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
Reputation: 15467
SF and Manhattan are the same in this regard, both are wealthier on average then most of their burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 09:22 PM
 
5,859 posts, read 14,057,064 times
Reputation: 3486
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricownage View Post
For example, NYC vs NY state, Philadelphia vs Pennsylvania, Boston vs Massachusetts..

There are a few exceptions like San Francisco...but generally, income in cities tend to be lower than their suburbs
I would think the opposite would be true since cities are the business centers?
This phenomenon has only existed for approximately the last 50 years in our nation's history. It is a result of urban renewal, white flight, freeway development, decentralization of the workplace and retail areas, and federal and local economic policies favoring suburban investment at the expense of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Zurich, Switzerland/ Piedmont, CA
32,376 posts, read 55,199,350 times
Reputation: 15467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
This phenomenon has only existed for approximately the last 50 years in our nation's history. It is a result of urban renewal, white flight, freeway development, decentralization of the workplace and retail areas, and federal and local economic policies favoring suburban investment at the expense of the city.
True.

Outside the US, the inner cities are the richest areas and the suburbs usually are poorer. The term "suburb" in many foreign countries has a negative connotation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
 
Location: Villanova Pa.
4,909 posts, read 12,531,405 times
Reputation: 2631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricownage View Post
For example, NYC vs NY state, Philadelphia vs Pennsylvania, Boston vs Massachusetts..

There are a few exceptions like San Francisco...but generally, income in cities tend to be lower than their suburbs
I would think the opposite would be true since cities are the business centers?
Are you new to the country?

The US especially the east coast and midwest have basically been using their cities as social service repositories for the past 60 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top