Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which metro areas are best for conservatives/evangelicals/etc.
Los Angeles/Orange County 9 4.27%
Seattle 6 2.84%
New York 8 3.79%
Washington DC/Northern Virginia 7 3.32%
Dallas 64 30.33%
Phoenix 29 13.74%
Colorado Springs 67 31.75%
Austin 13 6.16%
St. Louis 11 5.21%
Cincinnati 37 17.54%
Louisville, KY 40 18.96%
Denver 15 7.11%
Houston 43 20.38%
San Diego 20 9.48%
Nashville 71 33.65%
Atlanta 44 20.85%
Kansas City 34 16.11%
Cleveland 6 2.84%
Philadelphia 5 2.37%
Detroit 7 3.32%
Minneapolis 8 3.79%
Portland, OR 5 2.37%
Charlotte 57 27.01%
Chicago 6 2.84%
Buffalo, NY 4 1.90%
Baltimore 2 0.95%
Miami 5 2.37%
Oklahoma City 101 47.87%
Milwaukee 11 5.21%
Other (please specify) 19 9.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:06 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I'm going to refrain from voting because I haven't been to most of these places. Based on what I've experienced meeting people who are from many of these areas, listening to what they have to say, and stereotypes, I'd guess that the Southern and Southern Plains metros would be at the top.

Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, Houston, Salt Lake (if it were included), Oklahoma City, probably Colorado Springs are the ones that come to mind. Also, Virginia Beach VA, maybe Jacksonville FL. Orange County CA is very conservative, but I'm not sure that it's particularly evangelical.
Once again, Atlanta is an overall liberal city/metro. You need only look at the list i gave and many others to find this out. Atlanta and Memphis are in the top 40 most liberal cities in the United States. Going by stereotypes is normally not the best thing to do, especially when it comes to politics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2007, 08:52 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I can't even imagine that SWB (the area, not you!) is 1/10 as conservative as SLC!
I wouldn't be so sure about that. People around here are vehemently opposed to same-sex civil unions, much less same-sex marriage. This area is also overwhelmingly pro-life, opposed to stem cell research, and is pro-smoking. You're talked about behind your back if you don't attend a worship service regularly.

Yes, Scranton is one of the most Democratic cities around, but these are the blue-collar, salt-of-the-earth, pro-Union types of Democrats, not the bleeding-heart, socially-progressive Ithaca/San Francisco/Boston types of Democrats.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:28 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
I agree with everyone who said Los Angeles. Houston's very Republican, yes, but mostly because of the oil industry/business loyalties.

LA has a huge Evangelical coummunity throughout the suburbs. I also believe huge lobbying communities are present throughout it as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:29 AM

1,669 posts, read 4,240,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
Yes, Scranton is one of the most Democratic cities around, but these are the blue-collar, salt-of-the-earth, pro-Union types of Democrats, not the bleeding-heart, socially-progressive Ithaca/San Francisco/Boston types of Democrats.
Exactly, and there are a lot of other cities on that "most liberal cities" link that was posted earlier that are also overwhelmingly Democratic politically, but are FAR from being "liberal" in a socially progressive way.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Are we talking about the city proper or the metro area. For example, here in the city of Atlanta, as well as in DeKalb County, it is very liberal/progressive and is probably one of the most liberal cities in the country. However, the surrounding exurbs are very conservative/Republican, including Cherokee, Cobb, and Gwinnett Counties. Metro Atlanta is weird because it's a metro area that has produced Cynthia McKinney on one hand and Newt Gingrich on the other. The city of Atlanta is very supportive of gay rights, but Cobb County passes resolutions condemning the "gay lifestyle". Again, very polar opposite.

Dallas and Houston are very similar as well. Dallas has a lesbian, Hispanic sheriff, but the surrounding suburbs are very conservative like Plano and Frisco. Houston has produced very liberal Sheila Jackson Lee and very conservative Tom DeLay.

In reality, it's more about specific communities rather than entire metros.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Basically, I think a good rule of thumb to project the politics of a city boil down to ethnicity. The higher the non-white percentage of population, for the most part, the more liberal a city will be. For instance, black residents vote 90% Democrat. That may go a way, for instance, explaining why Atlanta is more liberal than perceived.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,319,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Basically, I think a good rule of thumb to project the politics of a city boil down to ethnicity. The higher the non-white percentage of population, for the most part, the more liberal a city will be. For instance, black residents vote 90% Democrat. That may go a way, for instance, explaining why Atlanta is more liberal than perceived.
That is very true to a point. Atlanta also has a large gay community, as well as a significant concentration of progressive whites in addition to its large black community.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:27 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:
Ditto Scranton.
are you kidding me? Scranton is 2-1 in favor of the Democrats as far as political party registration. Granted, our area is mainly old-school labor union type Democrats, as opposed to liberal pro-abortion democrats. We're more known for Bob Casey than for Hillary Clinton. Which is fine by me, I would be a registered Democrat if the party as a whole was more like it is in NEPA. But, until the Democrats start respecting unborn human life, I remain registered independent.

And evangelicals are a small minority of the population in the Scranton area. The area is mainly Catholic, as you know.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Quote:

Another reason I'm happy here.

Although one thing I would change about this area is the rampant smoking and alcoholism. Although I do drink beer, there are way too many people in NEPA whose lives revolve around getting drunk....its sad.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:43 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawlings View Post
Phoenix surprises me. I just never saw it as a terribly devout place.

I think Denver and Kansas City should have a few more votes. Some old Chiefs player mentioned that in KC--and the same could easily be said for Denver--the only things that really--REALLY--matter are faith, family, and football.

Amen!
I actually checked..Kansas City voted for Kerry in the last Presidential election. Pretty hard to argue for KC being Republican when something like that happens. I think that Springfield, Missouri should get a vote as being very Republican. After all, John ******** is from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.