U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 02:26 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,085 posts, read 11,451,166 times

Advertisements

I think Wyoming is one of the few places with lots of jobs right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 06:20 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Any job will be tough to get in Vermont...

Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,456,802 times
If you are a conservative, avoid the Ashville NC area. Its known for being one of the more liberal hip type towns in the southeast. I would suggest Utah, lots of snow, mountains and conservative type politics.

Old 11-18-2009, 08:49 AM

67 posts, read 110,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What is run down? Actually, Lake Placid is very nice. So, is Saranac Lake.

Also, what do you mean by "conservative"?
Conservative as in less government, no welfare state, no redistribution of wealth, no stupid wars, don't bancrupt the system, NOT the current Republican party....
I suppose I am really more of a Libertarian

that pretty much leaves out NY , sorry

Lake Placid looked like it WAS a nice place at some time in the past, but when we went there a few years ago the area looked sort of abandoned and "has been" , lots of boarded up buildings, no decent grocery store, State park had graffiti all over it
It was very noticable compared to Vermont, where everything looks like a postcard

Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
In western NC the snows have become less frequent and heavy of late and schools on the whole are not that great.

I would recommend either Colorado Springs or Fort Collins, Colorado.
What? You don't want any more Floridians moving to NC?!

They have some snow, around 30'' a year on average. I have had to put snow chains on my truck on Beech Mountain.
I really like western NC. I think if we could find jobs there, that would be my first choice. Colorado Springs IS nice, but no beach within driving distance, very dry, no trees. I like rain.
At this point, a lot of places look much better than Florida

Old 11-18-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks for posting the Utah photos very nice! Looks a lot like Colorado

Utah is one of the few States I have never been. I guess I need to visit. One potential problem, aren't most people in Utah Mormon? I am not. Would that be a problem fitting in with the locals?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 AM

56,554 posts, read 80,847,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
Conservative as in less government, no welfare state, no redistribution of wealth, no stupid wars, don't bancrupt the system, NOT the current Republican party....

that pretty much leaves out NY , sorry

Lake Placid looked like it WAS a nice place at some time in the past, but when we went there a few years ago the area looked sort of abandoned and "has been" , lots of boarded up buildings, no decent grocery store, State park had graffiti all over it
It was very noticable compared to Vermont, where everything looks like a postcard
Graffiti in Lake Placid? Are you sure? You probably would have loved Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake much better. Those two are close to Lake Placid. I also mentioned other cities and towns too. You might like Saratoga Springs or Glens Falls, as far as looks, having good schools, nice people, close to mountains and so on. I'm not sure your criteria for conservative would necessarily be the case in those two spots though.

Any way, it seems like Wyoming, Montana, Utah and most of Colorado are for you. I think Cheyenne, Casper and Green River would be good choices in WY.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Graffiti in Lake Placid? Are you sure? You probably would have loved Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake much better. Those two are close to Lake Placid. I also mentioned other cities and towns too. You might like Saratoga Springs or Glens Falls, as far as looks, having good schools, nice people, close to mountains and so on. I'm not sure your criteria for conservative would necessarily be the case in those two spots though.

Any way, it seems like Wyoming, Montana, Utah and most of Colorado are for you. I think Cheyenne, Casper and Green River would be good choices in WY.
Yep, graffiti in the State park. We took the ferry across the lake and drove south from there, stopping in Lake Placid and camping about 20 minutes from there. I forgot the name of the park. Lake Placid was aweful also. We tried to do laundry and ended up in a place downtown, that even in Florida, the health department would have shut down!! The trip to Lake Placid from the ferry had many very run down looking small towns.
If it makes you feel any better, the state park in NJ was worse

Something to be thankful for here, Florida has very nice state parks

I have added another State to my list : New Hampshire

Some of Wyoming is dry, flat and ugly btw. Only the western part is nice.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 AM

160 posts, read 508,977 times
Default How about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgs123 View Post
...Galt's Gulch, Colorado?

Old 11-19-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunoco View Post
...Galt's Gulch, Colorado?
could not locate on Google earth....

I think we have settled on New Hampshire. It has no income tax, sounds like a very Libertarian State, has mountains, lots of snow, forest and beach. It has it ALL! Now all we have to do is find jobs there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or