U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:10 AM

142 posts, read 220,521 times

Advertisements

I made this thread, because I wanted to see what people thought was the most known and premier venue in sports/music in the U.S.? If I had to pick a premier venue, I would have to select Madison Square Garden, followed by Staples Center in Los Angeles. I feel like these two venues are the most talked about arenas in the country, which hosts all the famous sporting events and all of the most well known concert performers not only in the country, but all over the world.

One arena (MSG), is known for being the world's most famous arena, while the other arena (Staples Center), is the current capital of the basketball world, and has hosted some talked about events in it's short 10 year history like Michael Jackson's Memorial, the Grammy's and the Oscars.

For all of you, which arena/venue is the most prominent in the U.S., and why would you feel like that arena/venue is the most prominent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2009, 09:21 AM

927 posts, read 1,911,969 times
Madison is popular for namesake and historical importance, but that doesn't equal "premiere" in my mind. I'd think that would go to the Staples Center.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
The first two Billion-dollar sports facilities in the US are the new Yankee Stadium in NYC and Cowboys Stadium in Irving, TX, both of which opened this year. Those would have to be considered the most well-appointed new venues.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:18 AM

927 posts, read 1,911,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The first two Billion-dollar sports facilities in the US are the new Yankee Stadium in NYC and Cowboys Stadium in Irving, TX, both of which opened this year. Those would have to be considered the most well-appointed new venues.
I may be mistaken, but it seems the OP is thinking more along the lines of an arena that houses both sports and music. Yes, the new Yankee Statidum is fierce, but it functions mostly as a baseball field, not a sports/music venue.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM

15,989 posts, read 30,677,759 times
If they could get the Houston Astrodome fixed up; It would easily be one of the best venues in this country.....again.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,822 posts, read 33,213,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizchick86 View Post
I may be mistaken, but it seems the OP is thinking more along the lines of an arena that houses both sports and music. Yes, the new Yankee Statidum is fierce, but it functions mostly as a baseball field, not a sports/music venue.
I don't know much about Yankee Stadium, but living in Texas, we hear a lot about Cowboys Stadium. It has already hosted a U2 concert and more music events are planned. Its 100-footer is one of the biggest video screens in the world.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:44 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,270,232 times
There are so many nice arenas in the U.S. I'm not sure I could pick one that stands above the rest. Almost every medium to large sized city has one...and some of them, like Tulsa's BOK Center, are brand new and really beautiful.

BOK Center

Old 11-17-2009, 12:52 PM

When I created the thread, I was mostly thinking about arenas, but I guess you can throw stadiums into the mix as well. Yankee Stadium, Fenway Park & Wrigley would be the premier baseball venues in the country, and for football, I would say that Cowboys Stadium, Giants Stadium and Lambeau Field would be the premier NFL stadiums.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:57 PM

One more thing:

In my opinion, I would say that Madison Square Garden is the best, and most electric arena in the U.S. I'll never forget the first time I visited the Garden in 2006 for the Big East Tournament. I loved the seats I had, and I loved the fact that the arena was right square in the middle of Midtown where you could walk a few blocks to Times Square and are just a hop and a skip from all of the most happening spots in Manhattan. There aren't many if any arenas in the country with a central downtown location, as well as history and significance like the Garden. My future trip to NYC will include a stop over at MSG, and hopefully a Knick game.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:05 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,429,052 times
it's really hard to target premier

in AZ the University of Phoenix stadium has had a pretty good start

annual host of the fiesta bowl, has hosted a BCS championship game (and is in the rotation for future games), hosted a super bowl, will host wrestlemania this year, large concerts like U2, hosted NCAA mens basketball western regional, etc

the stadium has some state of the art features and offers a premier experience to many people in search of a venue

but I wouldn't say that it's iconic

MSG definitely is iconic

a place like Red Rocks Ampitheater stands out as an iconic music venue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.