U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2009, 08:18 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,092,314 times

Advertisements

Can anyone help me feel better about this? I've been in Tampa six plus years and the opportunities for me to grow are just not here. It looks like I've a couple job offers to move to MD (Annapolis). There are things I love and hate about where I live and I talk all the time about "getting out". However, now that the reality is circling, I'm scared. I don't want to move and then be miserable wishing I hadn't gone.

Anyone else relocated and regretted it? Why? How about the reverse? Did you relocate and feel like it's the best thing you've done for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:52 AM

12,843 posts, read 23,222,667 times
I have relocated four times and only kind of semi-regret the last one (I moved back to somewhere I had already lived), but I know I'm better off than I would have been if I hadn't come back.

The initial relocation is the best one for yourself, it will allow you to grow out of your comfort zone.

Just do it.

Old 11-18-2009, 05:09 AM

20,219 posts, read 28,289,203 times
For a good part of my life, I relocated every few years, chasing happiness. I've discovered sometimes you have to wait for it. Many of my relocations were regrettable but I wouldn't trade the experiences.

The job market in Florida isn't the best right now, and the Washington DC area is enjoying a lower unemployment rate than most of the country (although the cost of living will make you cringe). If you feel Tampa will never work out for you and you're really miserable, go for it. One caveat though, look at other areas. If you're going to uproot and start over, do some investigating. Are there cities you know of that you've liked and thought about living in?

Old 11-18-2009, 05:38 AM

5,653 posts, read 8,758,092 times
I've relocated at least a dozen times though I've lived in my current home in Kansas City for nearly four years now. Have I ever regretted making a move? Nope. Not one time. I've had to move from other locations for a variety of reasons ranging from a lack of employment opportunities or being injured and unable to work and then return to that job to issues with some people either at work or outside of work, problems with local government related to my wish to develop a small business and then also issues related to trying to develop my small business.

I will be moving again by the end of next year because I am fed up with the Kansas City area. The people have some real issues, I can't find a suitable place to start my small business and my paycheck keeps dwindling because my current employer is in a wee bit of trouble due to the weak economy.

If you honestly believe leaving Tampa will be in your best interest then do it. I've never regretted one single move that I've made and in fact, every move I have made up to this point was right for that particular time in my life. And I do know that getting out of KC will be the correct move once I am ready to do so...

Old 11-18-2009, 07:21 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,402,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
Can anyone help me feel better about this? I've been in Tampa six plus years and the opportunities for me to grow are just not here. It looks like I've a couple job offers to move to MD (Annapolis). There are things I love and hate about where I live and I talk all the time about "getting out". However, now that the reality is circling, I'm scared. I don't want to move and then be miserable wishing I hadn't gone.

Anyone else relocated and regretted it? Why? How about the reverse? Did you relocate and feel like it's the best thing you've done for yourself?
When you move, if you have a choice, it should be to a place that you want to live in and experience and not just to escape some intolerable condition where you live now.

Old 11-18-2009, 07:47 AM

13,856 posts, read 22,251,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post

A certain nervousness about a big change is not unusual and maybe even healthy depending on the person. However if you've been in Tampa six years I'm assuming you were somewhere else before then so maybe you can think of that experience. Or is that the problem? Are you concerned you'll just "make the same mistake" all over?

I don't know your situation in Tampa though and I'm actually a bit uncomfortable giving advice. I guess it could depend on how solid the job offer is and if you have any roots in Tampa. Is it as good a job as your current and do you think it will last? Is there anyone you're very close to in Tampa who would be fairly inaccessible if you move to Annapolis?

Personally I'd say moving can be great or necessary in some cases. Although for some people there is a value in having roots and not moving. Like I said it depends on the new place and your connections to Tampa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.