U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city has the best airline hub?
Dallas/Ft. Worth Int'l 11 26.19%
Chicago O'Hare 15 35.71%
Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson 8 19.05%
Denver Int'l Airport 8 19.05%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:26 AM

653 posts, read 3,132,971 times

Advertisements

DENVER has a wonderful airport and FRONTIER is an "Up and Comming" Airline. Chicago (ORD) is an on going nightmare as is their Freeway system!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 04:18 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,323,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
DIA sucks. O' Hare, for its size, is remarkably efficient, and extremely clean and modern. If you dont like O' Hare, there is always Midway, also a good alternative. We get that nice option in Chicago.
In the Bal/Wash area we get the optioin of 3 major airports, 2 international and 1 natioinal. Dulles,BWI,And regan, none of which are a major hub

Old 05-16-2007, 04:19 PM

609 posts, read 2,721,710 times
I agree Chicago can be a nightmare, especially in the winter time. Design wise, it represents the old world design of US airports. A main terminal with a finger projection stemming from it. To me, DFW's semicircular design with gates on one side, and arriving/departing passengers from the stree on the other has minimized traffic around the terminals and made it convenient for business travelers not wanting to waste time in the airport. As a result, you have a great airport for O/D travelers. But now with skylink, it has become a great airport for connecting passengers too, as it has the fastest train system in the US.
The new international terminal D is a force to be reckoned with. With two shopping villages, several upscale restaurants, this is the place you would want to be while waiting for an international flight.

So my vote is for DFW.

DIA is good too, they learned from Atlanta and made it better.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_r2z0 View Post
In the Bal/Wash area we get the optioin of 3 major airports, 2 international and 1 natioinal. Dulles,BWI,And regan, none of which are a major hub
DUlles does have a major hub: United.

But yes, BWI is shared by Air Tran, Southwest, and US Airways and has emerged as a major discounter airport, much like CHicago Midway, Dallas Love, Ft. Lauderdale, Oakland, Orange Co, etc.

Reagan has limited time slots, and serves a La Guardia airport type of role.

But you are very lucky in that you are only a handful of areas with 3 major viable commercial airports. Only NYC area, LA, Bay Area can boast that.
Not even Chicago can, which is the 3rd largest MSA in the country. O'Hare and Midway rule, but then again, O'Hare can be Dulles and Reagan combined...just like DFW is so large that it has the capacity of two airports...the only difference is that DFW and O'Hare super fortress hubs raises fares.

DFW and Chicago are both trying to add a 3rd area airport...dFW in Collin Co. and Chicago in trying to promote either Gary or Rockford. Though Gary and ROckford really havent taken off the ground yet.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:45 PM

766 posts, read 2,269,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metroplex2003 View Post
DUlles does have a major hub: United.

But yes, BWI is shared by Air Tran, Southwest, and US Airways and has emerged as a major discounter airport, much like CHicago Midway, Dallas Love, Ft. Lauderdale, Oakland, Orange Co, etc.

Reagan has limited time slots, and serves a La Guardia airport type of role.

But you are very lucky in that you are only a handful of areas with 3 major viable commercial airports. Only NYC area, LA, Bay Area can boast that.
Not even Chicago can, which is the 3rd largest MSA in the country. O'Hare and Midway rule, but then again, O'Hare can be Dulles and Reagan combined...just like DFW is so large that it has the capacity of two airports...the only difference is that DFW and O'Hare super fortress hubs raises fares.

DFW and Chicago are both trying to add a 3rd area airport...dFW in Collin Co. and Chicago in trying to promote either Gary or Rockford. Though Gary and ROckford really havent taken off the ground yet.
The main Chicago area proposal is for far south suburban Peotone, although Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has vehemently opposed it since it's outside of the city's limits. I actually think O'Hare is pretty efficient in terms of being inside the airport itself as well as being very accessible by trains and taxis from the city. The economy parking at the airport, however, is my one gripe.

Everything being equal, though, Midway can't be beat for convenience in terms of getting in and out. It's the 2nd largest hub for Southwest after Las Vegas, so the airline's large presence there has made the Chicago market extremely competitive, which is great for consumers here. When you put O'Hare and Midway together, the number of flights available are going to be comparable or greater than those markets with 3 airports. I couldn't imagine living in a place where you only have essentially one major carrier (that's not so bad if it's one of the big 3 legacy airlines for across-the-board service or Southwest for domestic travel, but your options are considerably less if the one main carrier in your city is outside of those 4). In that regard, Chicagoans are spoiled.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
The main Chicago area proposal is for far south suburban Peotone, although Chicago Mayor Richard Daley has vehemently opposed it since it's outside of the city's limits. I actually think O'Hare is pretty efficient in terms of being inside the airport itself as well as being very accessible by trains and taxis from the city. The economy parking at the airport, however, is my one gripe.

Everything being equal, though, Midway can't be beat for convenience in terms of getting in and out. It's the 2nd largest hub for Southwest after Las Vegas, so the airline's large presence there has made the Chicago market extremely competitive, which is great for consumers here. When you put O'Hare and Midway together, the number of flights available are going to be comparable or greater than those markets with 3 airports. I couldn't imagine living in a place where you only have essentially one major carrier (that's not so bad if it's one of the big 3 legacy airlines for across-the-board service or Southwest for domestic travel, but your options are considerably less if the one main carrier in your city is outside of those 4). In that regard, Chicagoans are spoiled.
I agree, Chicago has great fare structures b/c of Midway airport.
Having said that, once the Wright Amendment is repealed completely, Southwest's main headquarters in Dallas will see an increase in the number of flights. Dallas is already growing rapidly with Southwest's direct, though not non stop service. As a result, American has matched several of Southwest's fares out of DFW int'l.
I do see similarities b/t the two areas, but Chicago is ahead of Dallas and Dallas will be playing catchup in the next decade. It's too bad that Delta shut down the DFW hub that was competing against American, but Southwest is doing a fine job from Love Field. Also, Virgin America has potentially big plans for DFW Int'l.
Will see if it works out.

But with DFW's population growing at 150,000 per year, DFW INt'l and Love Field will continue to grow with it. The airport design and lack of winter weather will continue to make DFW an attractive stopping point for O/D traffic as well as connecting traffic.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:49 PM

87,002 posts, read 102,592,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
DENVER has a wonderful airport and FRONTIER is an "Up and Comming" Airline. Chicago (ORD) is an on going nightmare as is their Freeway system!!
I hate Denver International (DIA). It is too far from the city, you get herded around like cattle (up and down escalators and into trains), they close it at the drop of a flake, during the really bad snowstorms it can stay closed for days, long after the sun has come out because they don't plan ahead to plow the runways, etc, etc, etc. My DD had a BAD experience w/Fronteir (albeit in Chicago coming to Denver). I guess everyone has their bad experineces, then doesn't want to use that particular airline again.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:57 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Post Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I hate Denver International (DIA). It is too far from the city, you get herded around like cattle (up and down escalators and into trains), they close it at the drop of a flake, during the really bad snowstorms it can stay closed for days, long after the sun has come out because they don't plan ahead to plow the runways, etc, etc, etc. My DD had a BAD experience w/Fronteir (albeit in Chicago coming to Denver). I guess everyone has their bad experineces, then doesn't want to use that particular airline again.
I agree, they really did build DIA out in the middle of the high plains. Also, KCI airport in Kansas City was built out in a corn field, and now the suburban sprawl is occuring near the airport area.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 PM

Yes DIA is essentially far away from the city. NOw the question is if metro Denver will grow into the direction of the airport or not. DFW airport is located in the geographic center of the DFW Metroplex. The suburbs have grown into DFW airport. DFW used to be located in prairie land when it was first built. Now thriving Las Colinas and Southlake border both sides of the airport.
DIA does follow the same pattern as Atlanta. Just like KC follows Dallas.
I simply like the DFW and KC design much better. Minimize traffic around the terminals, have a ticket counter with check in for each 5-8 gates, so no main terminal to weave through (ie no multiple escalators, trains, etc.).

Old 05-18-2007, 07:47 PM

3,742 posts, read 6,904,816 times
I miss the days when St. Louis was an airline hub. It was a perfect city for one too. Centrally located. Then AA promised us the best when they bought TWA and then turned around and gave us the finger because obviously we were far too close to Chicago, AA's second hub city behind Dallas, to sustain the type of service TWA gave us. Honestly, I'd say Atlanta may be the best airline hub. It's my favorite airport, it's close to downtown, and as somebody majoring in aviation, I know the best airline hubs and since the weather generally isn't severe (meaning snow)...flight delays normally don't happen to my knowledge. Honestly, if I could pick any three, I'd pick Chicago, Atlanta, and Dallas.

Last edited by ajf131; 05-18-2007 at 07:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or