U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2009, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Reputation: 1819

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Because there are very nice places to live in North Carolina if one isn't predisposed to generalization. I'd rather enlighten than perpetuate fiction.
They said nowhere in the bible belt, and they seem pretty certain they don't want to be there. It's a given that NC wouldn't be one of their choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,150,182 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
They said nowhere in the bible belt, and they seem pretty certain they don't want to be there. It's a given that NC wouldn't be one of their choices.
As it is a given that your suggestion of Portland, OR wouldn't be one of their choices either. They did say warm, or did you miss that somehow?

To the OP, you are basically asking for the impossible. Your fear of the "Bible Belt" will pretty much force you to Southern California, according to your criteria. A place you can hardly afford on your budget.

Perhaps you should open your mind a little while you're still in college. The dividends could perhaps pay off one day.

Oh, and if you currently live in Southern Ohio, sorry, but you are already in the Bible Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
The OP said they don't want anywhere in the bible belt, but yet people are recommending NC and TX.

Maybe Portland, Oregon would be good for you? Seattle? They really don't get much snow.
He also said he hates the cold yet you recommend Portland and Seattle.

There are many liberal areas in Texas and NC. South Texas is not even considered in the Bible Belt.

I would say somewhere in the southern part of New Mexico might be a good choice for the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 02:48 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
He also said he hates the cold yet you recommend Portland and Seattle.

There are many liberal areas in Texas and NC. South Texas is not even considered in the Bible Belt.

I would say somewhere in the southern part of New Mexico might be a good choice for the OP.

Portland and Seattle's weather isn't like the northeast and the midwest. It's a warmer climate than those 2 areas, and more liberal than the south.

I wouldn't consider southern Ohio to be in the bible belt:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../BibleBelt.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 12,150,182 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Portland and Seattle's weather isn't like the northeast and the midwest. It's a warmer climate than those 2 areas, and more liberal than the south.

I wouldn't consider southern Ohio to be in the bible belt:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../BibleBelt.png
I guess Moderator cut: off-topic/personal the link you posted shows it clearly. Besides that, how would you know if you've never been there?

I'm from Ohio, so I think I know a little bit more about it than you do.

Last edited by Bo; 12-03-2009 at 04:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Portland and Seattle's weather isn't like the northeast and the midwest. It's a warmer climate than those 2 areas, and more liberal than the south.

I wouldn't consider southern Ohio to be in the bible belt:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi.../BibleBelt.png
It may be slightly warmer than Ohio but he has already said he hates cold.
And it would definitely not be considered a warm climate.

He is going to be moving to a city or a town. Try comparing those 2 cities with other cities mentioned instead of the south as a whole.

And southern Ohio is on the edge of the bible belt but south Florida and south Texas are not in it at all. It does not matter where you consider in or out of it.

Your hate for the south does nothing to help these posters especially when you give suggestions that don't fit his criteria just because they are not in the south.


.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Concrete jungle where dreams are made of.
8,900 posts, read 13,236,781 times
Reputation: 1819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
It may be slightly warmer than Ohio but he has already said he hates cold.
And it would definitely not be considered a warm climate.

He is going to be moving to a city or a town. Try comparing those 2 cities with other cities mentioned instead of the south as a whole.

And southern Ohio is on the edge of the bible belt but south Florida and south Texas are not in it at all. It does not matter where you consider in or out of it.

Your hate for the south does nothing to help these posters especially when you give suggestions that don't fit his criteria just because they are not in the south.


.
No, just following their criteria. If you don't like it, then don't keep responding to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 09:00 PM
 
Location: SF,CA
186 posts, read 382,943 times
Reputation: 222
Southern Ohio is definitely in the bible belt, or they do a fantastic job of faking it.

Heaven-bound: Giant Jesus Statue, Monroe, Ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Hernando County, FL
8,488 posts, read 17,936,547 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
No, just following their criteria. If you don't like it, then don't keep responding to me.
You in no way followed the criteria the OP asked for.

Portland and Seattle are by no stretch if the imagination a warm weather climate.

I will keep responding to your posts just to keep a balance between your posts and the truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 09:33 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,772 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
He also said he hates the cold yet you recommend Portland and Seattle.

There are many liberal areas in Texas and NC. South Texas is not even considered in the Bible Belt.

I would say somewhere in the southern part of New Mexico might be a good choice for the OP.
Portland and Seattle are not cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top