U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:53 PM

357 posts, read 1,252,512 times

Advertisements

Im not muslim, nor will i say if im specifically pro or anti-islam...i am just wondering out of sheer curiousity, what is the place in the U.S. where non-islamic people have a positive view of muslims and arab culture. I am just mostly curious to see if that place is also among the most liberal places in America.

I have a feeling i might be suprised, because liberal cities elsewhere in the world, like Amsterdamn and Paris have a sizable dose of anti-islamic sentiment, since mainstream islam often has differant views on such liberal causes as gay rights, marijuana legalization and abortion.

Is there any anti-islamic sentiment amongst San Francisco's gay, granola crunching, pothead types? Would muslims be more accepted in areas of the U.S. where most of the non muslims see eye to eye with muslims on social issues?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 01:18 PM

32,381 posts, read 55,207,132 times
The Bay Area is not like Paris and Amsterdam as the sort of racial tension that involves Arabs really does not exist. In fact, It seems to me that plenty of non-arab people in SF are quite Pro-Palestine. Not necessarily Pro-Islam, but interesting the sort of support Palestine has in the Bay Area by people who are ethnically and racially not related to that area of the world at all.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:22 PM

5,256 posts, read 11,969,544 times
Paterson

Old 11-19-2009, 01:26 PM

13,403 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Detroit.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:07 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,982,118 times
I think in the US liberals actually do tend to be more pro-Muslim than conservatives, not that that's universally true.

Indianapolis and Minneapolis are the two cities represented by Muslims in the US Congress. Indianapolis is moderate rather than liberal and has a Republican mayor.

Another possibility is the little town of Kountze, Texas. Why Kountze, Texas? Because in 1991 they elected Charles Bilal, a Muslim, to be mayor. He was the first Muslim mayor in the US.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:27 PM

2,161 posts, read 3,991,210 times
^That's odd, I didn't know that.

The thing about Muslims is that, whether liberal, conservative, independent, or anything else, the non-Muslims in this country have always had some sort of problem with Muslims. It's really hard to tell what would be the most accepting place to them.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:41 AM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
Im not muslim, nor will i say if im specifically pro or anti-islam...i am just wondering out of sheer curiousity, what is the place in the U.S. where non-islamic people have a positive view of muslims and arab culture. I am just mostly curious to see if that place is also among the most liberal places in America.

I have a feeling i might be suprised, because liberal cities elsewhere in the world, like Amsterdamn and Paris have a sizable dose of anti-islamic sentiment, since mainstream islam often has differant views on such liberal causes as gay rights, marijuana legalization and abortion.

Is there any anti-islamic sentiment amongst San Francisco's gay, granola crunching, pothead types? Would muslims be more accepted in areas of the U.S. where most of the non muslims see eye to eye with muslims on social issues?
I'd say New York City, but simply because there are a lot of Muslims here and they work with and live amongst non-muslims. When you get to know people on a daily basis, it's hard to hate them.

But the same would go in NYC for most ethnic/religious groups as well.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 AM

56,180 posts, read 54,646,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Paterson
That's a good answer, too. Although Paterson has some strong anti-American sentiment amongst their Palestinain community, other Muslim groups in the city have been very proactive about reaching out to the larger community and forming interreligious groups to deal with social issues.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:40 AM

5,256 posts, read 11,969,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's a good answer, too. Although Paterson has some strong anti-American sentiment amongst their Palestinain community, other Muslim groups in the city have been very proactive about reaching out to the larger community and forming interreligious groups to deal with social issues.
I'm glad someone noticed

Paterson isn't too much of an acknowledged city. But they have very strong Muslim communities that are very harmonious among each other.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:00 PM

594 posts, read 948,975 times
Paterson, NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or